Hot Rod Forum banner

Can I add factory Power Steering to Serpentine belt setup? 69 nova/camaro

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  123pugsy 
#1 ·
I need some help on this one. I think I could rig it up, but wanted to check here first...

69 Nova w/ original manual steering box. I am using a "Serpentine belt" accessory drive from a 99 Vortec engine (water pump & alternator, passenger side bracket). At the moment I do not have the driver-side bracket mounted that has the PS pump and A/C compressor, but I have them available.

I want to add the factory-replacement Power Steering box (Nova Parts | P18502 | 1965-76 QUICK RATIO POWER STEERING GEAR BOX | Classic Industries), but...

I don't think I can add this complete kit because I don't see a "serpentine" type pulley available for the factory steering box (1968-74 Chevy 2 Nova, Power Steering Conversion Kit 19429)

So if I use the '99 Serpentine Power Steering Pump that matches my current setup, my main concern is pressure from the Power Steering Pump on the '99 Serpentine system going to the '69 steering box, although it will be new/reman. Will this new style pump have too much/too little pressure and mess up the old style steering box? I assume it isn't hard to get new PS lines made with the correct size fittings for the "flare pressure ports" ?

Or is there a better option in this case? Any advice is appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
My guess would be that March makes a pulley that will fit if an OEM that will fit does not exist.. But even if not, just get a pump for a 1999 2500 series truck. I think most everything GM ran at the same pressures, and even tho the '99 has a plastic resivore, the pump itself is just an old Saginaw as far as I'm aware

#5 ·
I'm pretty sure the '69 PS Pump pulley has a 5/8" shaft diameter and is a 5-13/16" or 5-3/4" diameter pulley.

The '99 Vortech PS pump pulley is a 6 groove, 3/4" shaft diameter and 6.5" diameter pulley.

I guess I might have to bite the bullet and buy a new alternator, brackets, and all new pulleys, as well as the full power steering kit, If I want it to all work correctly, and also look decent

#6 ·
Check out the attached PDF from Allan Grove.

Maybe you could use their power steering brackets only.
I just did a full conversion using all their stuff and I believe I used the 75-78 pickup (probably because I have a 76 pickup) pump as it's a press on pulley. I had the bolt on V belt pump on my truck prior to the swap.

Some info on pumps on the page. If you go through their website, there may be more pump info.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.