Can I disable neutral safety switch? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Can I disable neutral safety switch?

If I disable a 200r4 neutral safety switch thats on a 305 it will work fine right? Or in other words not hook up the neutral safety switch it will be fine?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwr30
If I disable a 200r4 neutral safety switch thats on a 305 it will work fine right? Or in other words not hook up the neutral safety switch it will be fine?
The NSS is unrelated to the trans, it is built into the wiring of the car. What year/model are we talking about?

Be aware that starting in the late 1970s, GM cars stopped using an electric NSS. Instead, there is a mechanical blocking ring in the steering column that prevents the key from being turned to the START position if the shift selector is not in Park or Neutral. Even floor shift cars used this system since they have a backdrive linkage that locks the shifter with the ignition key.

You will see a switch that looks like a typical NSS switch at the base of the steering column on these cars, but it is NOT electrically connected to the starting circuit. Instead, it retains the backup light switch function and on computer controlled cars it provides a Park/Neutral signal to the ECU for the purpose of setting the idle speed and mixture. Again, it has nothing to do with the starting curcuit.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Nss

You should have some type of safety factor built in. also you could use a relay so the car would only start when the brake pedal is down and the brake lights are on.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Putting 1986 305 engine and 200r4 in nissan 240sx. So basically if i didnt hook up neutral safety switch and started the car in park or neutral it would start up fine?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,011 Posts
I had a friend DIE (ran over by a 74 Cad he was working on) because of a faulty neutral safety switch. There is NO WAY I am going to run a car without one. And in fact I am putting one on the clutch of my Rambler (overridable if I needed to push start it). I almost ran my father and an mechanic over because of a lack of one when I was a little kid.

Don't mess with the neutral safety switch.

Brian
Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 AM

I know its a very good option to have and I will prolly put it on, but if I were to not hook it up keeping the ebrake up wouldnt that stop it from jumping.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanwr30
I know its a very good option to have and I will prolly put it on, but if I were to not hook it up keeping the ebrake up wouldnt that stop it from jumping.
Listen, do what you want. But the neutral safey switch is there for a reason. It is there for when we AREN'T thinking! Read your post again "keeping" the brake on, it takes thought, it takes PLANNING to "keep" the ebrake on.

The neutral safety switch costs nothing, it uses no horse power, it weighs nothing (to speak of), it is SUPER simple and doesn't require a genius to install or maintain. It is probably as simple a component as you are ever going install or maintain, with HUGE dividens, why not use it?

I have a lifelong friend who used to use toggle switches for starter switches! Well, he wasn't a dummy, he would be the only one driving the car right? He can push the switch forward and pull it back as the car started, it doesn't take rocket science right? Well, he was putting gas in his blown hemi powered 29 Model A roadster and his son sitting in the car turned around to watch and hit the toggle with his foot! The car took off ripping the filler tube from the gas tank and doing some hefty damage to the quarter panel. It was STUPID yet he felt he was smart enough to not need a push button or a neutral safety switch.

For goodness sakes, just leave the friggin neutral safety switch there.

Brian
Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

As stated before the safety switch is not part of the trans, one would have to be added/ possibly use the Nissan switch.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Listen, do what you want. But the neutral safey switch is there for a reason. It is there for when we AREN'T thinking! Read your post again "keeping" the brake on, it takes thought, it takes PLANNING to "keep" the ebrake on.

The neutral safety switch costs nothing, it uses no horse power, it weighs nothing (to speak of), it is SUPER simple and doesn't require a genius to install or maintain. It is probably as simple a component as you are ever going install or maintain, with HUGE dividens, why not use it?

I have a lifelong friend who used to use toggle switches for starter switches! Well, he wasn't a dummy, he would be the only one driving the car right? He can push the switch forward and pull it back as the car started, it doesn't take rocket science right? Well, he was putting gas in his blown hemi powered 29 Model A roadster and his son sitting in the car turned around to watch and hit the toggle with his foot! The car took off ripping the filler tube from the gas tank and doing some hefty damage to the quarter panel. It was STUPID yet he felt he was smart enough to not need a push button or a neutral safety switch.

For goodness sakes, just leave the friggin neutral safety switch there.

Brian
WOW! Who in there right mind would allow a kid in a car rigged up like that! That's just plain stupid!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Weell I am absolutely sure that no one here ever has a brain jam and makes a mistake,,hook up the switch already..Another thing if you ever entertain going to the strip the neutral safety switch is required to be hooked up and working..it is checked..

Sam
Old 03-16-2011, 07:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

To answer your original question, the switch is just that, a switch. Short across the two terminals in the connector and the car will start just fine. Yes, it's not a good idea to run without an NSS, but geeze people, the amount of nanny-ism in this thread is starting to scare me. People need to use common sense and take responsibility if they don't. How many people here have manual transmission cars WITHOUT a clutch safety switch? How is that any different?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schovil69
WOW! Who in there right mind would allow a kid in a car rigged up like that! That's just plain stupid!
People forget, THEY are under control, I mean come one I sure as hell don't need an effing lock on my gun, I am not a moron and know how to safely handle one. But there is one on every gun I known because someone else may get a hold of it.

Brian
Old 03-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
To answer your original question, the switch is just that, a switch. Short across the two terminals in the connector and the car will start just fine. Yes, it's not a good idea to run without an NSS, but geeze people, the amount of nanny-ism in this thread is starting to scare me. People need to use common sense and take responsibility if they don't. How many people here have manual transmission cars WITHOUT a clutch safety switch? How is that any different?
You are right, but if the switch is there, why the heck not leave it?

Brian
Old 03-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I belong to a tractor forum....They wont allow talk of disabling any safety switches.....Thing is, many of these old tractors didnt have such switches.

Disabling a safety switch is not a good idea.....use your head in what you do. You will live with the consequences.....maybe

Budget RVs
Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

I currently drive occasionally a 1974 Ford F250 Supercab pickup with 390, and a C-6.
I am trying to get the arm that hooks up to the shift shaft in the steering column, that actuated the neutral safety switch, but so far, I have not been able to get it. The truck was driven about 300 miles last year, and a good part of that was literally moving horse manure from behind a barn out to under some trees, in the back pasture. The emergency brake works on this truck. I am the only one that drives it. I know it will start in gear. So did many vehicles I have had with manual transmissions. Starting in gear is a nice feature, if you ever have a problem with the clutch linkage. I am not dead yet.

I also built a VW powered sand rail, in the late 1970's. I purposely put a toggle switch that would stay in the cranking position. It would crank in gear. I knew that, and so did anyone who was around it.
My reason for doing that is this. If the dune buggy got stuck in the sand, I had the option of turning off the ignition, putting it in gear, reaching in, turning on the starter, and pushing it far enough to get away from whatever it was stuck on. I used this "feature" many times to get unstuck. Was it "safe"? Probably not. But again, I am here to talk about it.

Yes, you should put a neutral safety switch on your car. Is it absolutely necessary? No, but you should. Be careful. Do what is smart.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.