Can I disconnect my computer on my 96 chev one ton dually? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 08:30 PM

Last journal entry: Albany Oregon Show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can I disconnect my computer on my 96 chev one ton dually?

Hi All

I have a 96 chev one ton dually with 454. Problem is no torque, hp, wont idle right. I want to switch, the cam, springs, rocker arms, and push rods. I also want to go to a Edelbrock manifold and a 750 carb. I hate this fuel injection system. What problems will run into as far as my gauges, tranny, cruse control etc?

Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 11:48 PM

Last photo:

Chances are you'll lose most of the gauges and you will lose the cruise control. Your best bet is to toss the stock gauge cluster and make a new panel with all aftermarket gauges. There are also aftermarket cruise control kits.

Your main problem is that it is a 96, and that's the first year of OBD II. This means that almost everywhere in the country your vehicle is required to be hooked up to a scanner to pass inspection. You also will not be able to pass emissions if your state requires it on a 96 - and chances are they will. Essentially, your truck will be un-inspectable. Even if it will pass inspection where you live, it'll be difficult to sell it if you ever decide to as it won't be road legal in most of the country.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Find a competent garage and have it diagnosed properly.Could be something simple , could be more complex.
EFI yields good mileage(better than a carb) and plenty of power when operating correctly.You just dont understand yours, that is why you hate it.
It really isnt that complicated, but look for a competent garage just the same.A good tech should be able to explain things so you understand what is wrong with your truck, and how it causes the trouble you are having.
Maybe the cats are plugged,maybe the fuel pressure is to low.
How long have you been driving with the check engine light on?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 PM

Last journal entry: 1996 silverado

tossing the computer is a terrible idea. is the truck an auto or a manual? if it's an auto, you'll either have to swap out the 4l80e to something not computer controlled or you'll need a stand alone trans controller computer, which isn't cheap. if it's a stick you could get away with it, but you will pretty much have way too much money into trying to get gauges to work, not to mention the rats nest of wire you would have to remove.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by razordave123
tossing the computer is a terrible idea.
Pretty much. Too much work for too little reward. If you don't want the computer, buy a vehicle without one. That's what I did.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

I would go here first! www.fullsizechevy.com

Craig
Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Thank You for the information. I am now looking at the fast tbi and aux computer. In the end selling the truck is not a bad idea. According to a GM teck there is nothing wrong it was a sled when it was new.

Bob
Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 PM

Last journal entry: 1996 silverado

Yea that is definately true. I was assuming that you noticed a drop in power since you've owned it. I've had about six s10s/blazers 96 through 98 and my 96 silverado, all of them plugged the cat in the time that I had them. I usually buy vehicles with 110 to 140k and they seem to go around 130 to 150k miles. I open up the exhaust and it runs exceptionally well. If you bought this thing with no power, it probably never had any. cams and heads are available to work with your computer, but if you can afford a whole standalone efi system, you are definitely better off with that. assuming it also runs your transmission.

Again, if you have a stick, you don't have to worry about that aspect. Another area to address is gears. usually a truck heavy enough to need a big block have low gears from the factory, but if it's a 2wd, it's probably a higher gear ratio.

Give us a little more information on your truck, someone on here might be able to save you a lot of money and hassle.

I would hate to think a new computer was the answer, tear out all my oem fuel injection **** to put in an aftermarket unit and not be able to go anywhere because my computer now doesn't tell my transmission to shift.

you said its a 96 with a 7.4L 454 cu. in v8 right? auto or manual? 2wd or 4wd? what gear ratio? what size tires? are they super heavy 10 plys? rotating mass is a big factor in helping that tachometer climb faster.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

The truck has a 4l80e, its 4x4 with 4.56 gear, its a one ton dually. The fast computer tags on to the stock computer. It runs the fast 4 barrel tbi setup. I have talked to three guys on the internet and they claim it runs seamless. The fast tbi is 900 cfm, more than enough to do the job. The system costs about 1000 - 1100 including the manifold. Edelbrock Performer. I already have a suitable cam, lifters, springs, push rods, and roller rockers. Lunati voodoo 256 #60201lk.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.