Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Can I fill a gap with/whilst welding?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_8u
This is the horizontal weld on the crossmember
I know it's not all that great, but I'm pleased with it

Now THIS on the other hand?!?
I know I should have stopped, but since I didn't know what to correct I decided i should finish the 'bead' so you guys have more to look at and tell me what went so badly wrong

I didn't change any settings on my welder, just went to a vertical face

Why did my weld start to 'hiss'
And why is it such a poor weld compared to my first one?

Thanks guys
Looks to me like you were trying to weld thru garbage and you do not have the skill yet to attempt to weld on a frame.

That whole mess needs to come off, nice shiny bare metal in the weld zone.
Get a puddle started on one side of the gap and let it melt into the base metals, more the puddle across the gap letting it fill and melt into the base metal on the other side.

move slightly uphill with the puddle and work back across to the first side.
Repeat till you are at the top.

IF it goes wrong STOP. It wont get better by splattering more bird turds on it , it will only require you to spend more time grinding.

the only place you should be spraying weld thru primer is where paint cannot be applied after welding, like a lap joint , or the inside of a box.

I think you should consider finding a person that welds that will come over and spend a hour with you and get you headed in the right direction on some scrap pieces.

It is nothing to weld a practice set up for hours on end, take a break, and go right back to practicing the same thing again. Repetition makes perfection.