Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Can I fill a gap with/whilst welding?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You had your settings pretty darn close when you ran this weld. Maybe a bit cold - turn up the wire speed a bit,you should be able to run uphill with those settings. It doesn't look like a lot of penetration, but you are almost there.

Most guys that run wire only set it once for all positions in most instances.
If it is getting a bit hot speed up a bit.
Just don't get cold lap like you did in your vert picture.

Remember clean everything, the ground clamp location, the weld zone, and ditch the weld thru primer .

I suggest you get some scrap pieces, set the machine how you had it in this picture, run a half dozen more beads in this flat position, then turn your test piece on end and start going vert up.
A bit of practice will make a world of difference.

All position welding with mild steel wire is a easy thing to learn, hang in there!

If the wire speed is to slow it will burn back to the contact tip,and pop, if it is to fast it will keep jabbing the metal which you should feel in your hand holding the gun.

Take a practice coupon , leave the temp where it is and turn the wire speed all the way up and try it, you will see what I am saying.
Then turn it way down and try it, you will see how it acts.
This will help you figure out the correct speed by knowing what wrong looks and feels like.
Now do the same thing with the temp, keep a constant wire speed and crnak the temp upand down, you can even crank it while you are welding or have a helper crank it as you request.
Play and practice, its all fun.

Last edited by Old Fool; 03-29-2012 at 04:42 PM.