Can I get some paint gun advice? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Car Nut

Wiki Edits: 0

Can I get some paint gun advice?

Hi guys. I'm painting a '58 Impala and I'm painting it with Deltron DBC 9700 Black base and Concept 2021 Clear. I'm using Omni MP213 GP Sealer gray over my primer surfacer below the topcoat. Ok, I'm using a Sharpe T1 Titanium spray gun with a 1.4mm tip for the sealer and the basecoat and I'm using a Devilbiss GTI Millenium spray gun with a 1.3 mm tip for the clear.

I'm having a problem getting the sealer and the clear to lay down good. I'm having trouble adjusting the gun to where the sealer will lay down w/o running or being too dry. I over reduced the sealer a little to help it lay down but I'm having more of a dry spray problem. I'm using a 6 in. pattern 6 in. from the surface for all coats of all products.

As far as the clear goes, I'm mixing the first coat the way the directions call for and then on my next two coats, I over reduce. I'm having more orange peel than I or my boss would like. He wants me to be able to paint and it come out smooth enough to scratch a little and buff and not have any swirl marks. Some people want everything!! LOL.

I'm also wanting to know of any suggestions on getting swirl marks out of the paint because this black Impala will be a show car and the guy expects show quality. I'm sanding with 1000, 1500, to 2000 sandpaper, then buffing with a 3M superbuff double sided yellow wool pad along with Perfect it 3 compound, then to a 3M black convoluted foam pad with Perfect it 3 Trizact Machine Glaze, then to the same foam pad with Perfect it 3 final glaze. There are still some swirl marks. Is there any way to get them out and are there any good products as far as like cotton cloths for hand polishing that won't scratch the surface?

This car is gonna look dynamite when I'm done. I've got the door, trunk lid, dash and package shelf in the rear looking like glass. I would just like to get the clear and undercoats to lay down smoother. Something I forgot to mention is that I'm having problems with solvent pop. I've got the booth and the metal surfaces I'm painting around 70 to 75 degrees. I'm wainting about 15 to 20 minutes b/w coats and I'm using the DT870 reducer for base and clear. About the second coat of clear is when the clear starts forming its bubbles. Any help is much appreciated? Thanks lots!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2006, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

I've never used the Omni sealer is it a 2K? How much flash time between base and clear? Black really holds solvent and needs extra flash time usually and most people really put it on wet which can also add to solvent trap problems. Do you really need a sealer on this job? If you want to handrub the car to remove any machine marks use the older Finesse it II, it's white and comes in a quart sized bottle and been around since the late 80's, used with a soft cloth and some elbow grease it'll remove all those swirls and gives a really nice shine. Is the clear going on with orange peel or is it looking peely because the sealer and basecoat had texture? Bob
Old 03-30-2006, 05:47 AM

Last photo:

Maybe you could try to start with 1200 then 1500 and finally 2000 , or if this is gonna be a car show directly start with 1500.then 2000 and finally 2500..it would take alot of time with this grid but the results would be better..
Sorry for my english and good luck.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:05 AM
Car Nut

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for the info guys. I'm probably just not waiting long enough between the base and clear coats and thats probably why I'm getting the solvent pop. I usually wait about 20 minutes between the last coat of base and the first coat of clear. I probably need to wait longer.

I'm kind of new to the painting scene but this Impala is my second complete paint job. So far I'm really happy with how everything is turning out, besides the fact that it's taking forever and the customer doesn't understand why. People will never have any idea of what it takes to make a 40, 50, or 60 year old car look like show car quality. It's more work than just scratching the surface, painting, and away you go.

I really appreciate the replies and I think this forum is awesome as well as the people in it. I've read quite a few postings and they are all very interesting. A lot of the people on here really know what they are talking about. Maybe if I can get some pictures on here of the parts I've painted, you guys can check it out. This Impala is a car you don't see very often where I'm at. Thanks and God Bless.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:05 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Might either swap guns for each procedure or try a 1.4 in the DeVilebliss.
Could be the 1.3 is not large enough for the clear and you either have too little or too much clear shooting out it.
I know it would be more work,but try a wet sand of the sealer with a wet gray scotch pad. That will slick it out really nice if you have some grain in it.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:49 PM

I just bought a Devilbiss gfg 670 gravity Plus and its great, but the 1.3 wasnt shooting base very good so I went to the 1.4 and its great. I have learned to be patient to soon on next coat will be sand time again like they said solvents get trapped if you try to build rome in a day trust me I learned the hard way.

Last edited by Dewcat; 05-07-2006 at 10:15 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.