Can I make my 200ci 68 mustang have dual Exhaust - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 01:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Uh.. dude, you started it on this one, not me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Ground Clearance Is Over-Rated

Last photo:

Let me tell you from first hand experience, definately do it. Despite what anyone will tell you, it does not sound like a lawn mower. Check out www.cliffordperformance.com about a set of headers. I went to an exhaust shop in my area and the guy kinda snickered about the 230 six cylender under the hood of my 1967 Chevelle. Not only do the headers look sick, but they truely make it sound really good. I will admit, it doesnt sound like a V8, its a little higher than that, but it sounds far from a lawn mower. It has the very deep sound of a V8 at lower RPMs and it kinda gets higher at higher RPMs, but it never gets tinny. Even the guy at the exhaust shop told me straight up that it sounded 10 times better than he thought it would. I run a set of split headers to an X-pipe specifically designed for I6 applications, which is located under the lower firewall to a set of Flowmaster 40's to tips. The pipes are all 2 1/2 inch to 4 inch tips. I'll try to post a pic or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headers.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	6872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailpipes.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	6873  
Old 09-16-2005, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
Uh.. dude, you started it on this one, not me.

Um...I suggested he take it to a muffler shop after he buy the header/mufflers. Then went on to offer a suggestion.

You jumped in talking about how it would never sound like a v-8 and later told me to keep the posts geared towards answering the original question....you weren't directing your post towards the original question as the tone wasn't an issue...I brought that up as a suggestion...you figure it out....and again...be sure your actually following your own advice before you give it out or is it do as I say, not as I do?
Old 09-16-2005, 07:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I know split exzaust 6's are great myself, specially with glass packs. I will be putting fenton headders on my '51 Chevy 235 I6 and putting on glasspacks.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:26 PM

I put clifford headers on my 59 Edsel six cylinder, then put 20 feet of 2" straight pipes all the way out the bumper, no H pipe or anything. It sounds AWESOME at low RPMS, and in your face revved up! I like it, but I sure sound like a jerk when I drive on the freeway.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:30 PM

Last photo:

Smithy steel packs sound great on inline 6's as well. I heard a set on a 51 Chevy 235 with cast-iron headers and duals, it sounded unreal.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:43 PM

I was gonna try Smithy's when I get a noise ticket!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 AM

Anyone with experience doing it on a Ford flathead 6?

Wow, this is great stuff! I'm thinking about this for my Dad's 46 Ford with a straignt flathead 6. Seems to be a lot of opinions about the way to do it. Anybody with 1st hand experience doing it with that motor? If so I'd appreciate the details! Thanks!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:34 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

any videos of this? It be neat to at least hear it on youtube, I can't imagine its common at all!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:50 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
any videos of this? It be neat to at least hear it on youtube, I can't imagine its common at all!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MZhDW14sqw

Did a quick youtube search. Not a big fan to be honest.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:01 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

yea, I did a search too, I thought it was nice for what it was. I don't understand why a person would have anything against it, at the same time I understand if someone thought it simply wasn't their thing. If you want it then go for it- just be sure to do all the other basic hp mods too.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:08 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

btw there isn't any reason to have an H or X pipe in this application, the firing order AFIK is 153624...
Old 03-20-2010, 12:24 PM

A buddy of mine had intentions of putting split exhaust on his 50 Ford flathead 6, but cast iron headers or any pre-made exhaust manifolds are impossible to find, seeing as though the V8 rules over every hot rod engine ever made, so they say. You can split the stock manifold, and weld outlets to the front and rear sections. The only problem with that idea on the Ford is the two center exhaust ports being so close to one another. If you are going for that crazy 6 cylinder sound, you gotta split 1-2-3 from 4-5-6. If you put some work into it you can always take the stock manifold to a CNC designer and fashion a flange out of some semi thick plate steel, effectively making header flanges patterned after the stock manifold flange. Then bolt it on the engine, in the car, with the intake in place, and use one of those header kits from a racing supplier, (or bby getting a tubing bender and bending your own pipes) and build your own headers.

I lucked out finding a guy that makes all kinds of hop up parts for 223 Fords, but the old 226 was eclipsed by the V8, so speed parts are rare, and pricey!

I would imagine the hardest part of doing it to your dad's 46, if he is like my dad, would be talking him into doing the exhaust in the first place!

As for my buddy's 50, he had a head, a triple carb intake, a dual carb intake, and a bunch of other misc parts like aluminum timing gears and a distributor. He sold it all and bought a Norton motorsickle.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 PM
This is what I'm starting with

Last journal entry: Putting the engine back in . . .
Last photo:

u need split hooker headers. check out www.classicinlines.com.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67FordFalcon
u need split hooker headers. check out www.classicinlines.com.

Earlier someone mentioned the forum "fordsixes.com." Since we're resurrecting this thread, between the time this thread last died and now a guy from the Netherlands started a thread on his triple-2bbl 200 six '68 Mustang.

You can listen to how it sounds here.

Other good sites for inline six performance tips and links to speed parts include Hotsixes, which is an Australian site. Sixes were more popular abroad than here in the US due to the price of fuel and the fact that in many countries cars are taxed more as the size of the engine goes up. One of hotsixes' sponsors is Aussiespeed. They apparently opened a US outlet in Mississippi a couple of years back, but I don't know the current status. But I'm seriously thinking of buying a decent '63 Valiant convertible that's for sale locally and using one of Aussispeed's manifolds to put a 4-71 blower on it.

Inliners International is another useful site, as well.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.