CAn I put urethane clearcoat over acrylic enamel - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM
CQNRQY

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Excellent Advice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twjoyce
when buffing flat pieces like the hood, trunk, etc. ALWAYS buff so that the buffer is rotating OFF the edge of the piece. If you let it rotate INTO the edge it will tear it up before you can catch yourself...
You only make that mistake Once
And hopefully never again
Its like grinding always grind off the edge

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 PM

Last photo:

To apply urethane clear over harden enamel you must wait 24hrs after application. Other wise the urethane will react with the enamel and you will have a mess. Trust me, been there.

Best method for applying urethane clear over enamel is to wait 72hrs after application then wet sand the finished enamel with 1200-1500 grit. Then apply a mid-coat adhesion promoter followed with 2-3 coats of prepared urethane clear. Then follow manufacturer’s recommendations for buffing.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperotti
To apply urethane clear over harden enamel you must wait 24hrs after application. Other wise the urethane will react with the enamel and you will have a mess. Trust me, been there.

Best method for applying urethane clear over enamel is to wait 72hrs after application then wet sand the finished enamel with 1200-1500 grit. Then apply a mid-coat adhesion promoter followed with 2-3 coats of prepared urethane clear. Then follow manufacturer’s recommendations for buffing.
I agree but your time frame may be a little longer with the cold we have had
Old 01-16-2010, 02:28 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQNRQY
Should work Fine
There is a safe window that you can clear over the acrylic enamal with out sanding it . It works great
If your not sure about the time or have exceeded it then sand it with a very fine grit 800 or finer
This omni is great cheap alternative to some of the expensive paints out there! But some colours don't cover as easily but there's always a way around that
exactly. You can tint the primer or put an extra coat or two. I like using sprayout cards to see how many coats it takes to achieve proper coverage.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 PM

everyone has given good advice about the question can i put clearcoat over enamel but i just want 1 person who has tried it to tell me if its alright im useing an oil based paint which i guess is an enamel at least thats what i was told and it already has a shine to it but i would like to apply u-pol clearcoat over my paint because it says its UNIVERSAL and comes with a hardener oh and it is a urethane so the question is still out there can you apply a urethane clear to an enamel/oil base which ever one you want to call it

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.