Can I re-use my distributor? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 10:34 PM

Last journal entry: A quick trip
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can I re-use my distributor?

I plan to drop a carb'd 305 into my originally TBI 87 chevy 1/2 ton. I am wondering if I can use my original distributor.

This is a remote coil distributor, and doesn't have any kind of vacuum advance. I assume that means that advance is controlled by the computer? Is it possible at all to reuse this, or do I need to get a new one.

If so, what sort would be recommended? I am on a budget.

I am putting a mid-eighties 305 with 416 heads and an aluminum factory intake, a rochester, and most likely headers in. It will not have any sort of smog equipment (the only accessories will be alternator and power steering pumps!)

I guess that the computer must base spark control on a variety of sensors, right? I suppose if it would work, I could put in an o2 sensor, and maybe even rig up the Throttle position sensor and what-not.

What all woudl be required to make the old dis work right, if it is possible, or should I just get a new one?

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2004, 10:51 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Re: Can I re-use my distributor?

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisflock
... or should I just get a new one?
Get a new one. If your on a tight budget, get a complete, ready-to-run HEI unit from Summit. The Mallory HEI is the next best deal (IMO).

Good luck, Ed www.edgesz28.com

Last edited by edge; 12-06-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

That distributor also send a signal to the ecm for injector pulse.via the purple and white wire. If your not usng any of the other ecm sensors like coolant temp or tps or map I would not use the tbi dist. I would just get a Hei out of an older non computer controlled car. You may get the Tbi dis to fire but it will most likely run like crap with poor or no timing advance etc...Also your 87 has an electric fuel pump whos power relay is also ecm controlled the tbi runs around 9 to 13 psi dont forget to put a regulator on the carb to get it down to 7psi, also going to need to wire that fuel pump relay to come on with the ign or do away with it all together and get a mech pump.U would have to mod the tank unit either way ita a can of worms
Old 12-07-2004, 09:04 AM

Last journal entry: A quick trip
Last photo:

I planned to just disconnect the in-tank pump and use a mechanical pump like my buddy did on his Astro.

I was kinda figuring I wouldn't be able to re-use my distrib, which kinda sucks 'cause I can't afford a new one. I'll have to see what I can score from friends and/or junk cars.

Is there any specific ones I should be looking for? Will any small block chevy distributor work on my motor?

Chris

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.