Can I respray clear on top of clear that has dried if I sand it.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2006, 04:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Can I respray clear on top of clear that has dried if I sand it..

I painted my car...there was not enough lighting in the booth and on my fender there was a area that the clear did not get to on the 2nd coat. So you can see that it is thin and by the texture that not enough clear had gone there. If I sand the area with 400 grit can I spray another coat of clear there. Then wet sand the entire panel after it is dry to get rid of any over spray on other areas and to flatten all the clear to the same level. Then buff. Would there by any adhesive problems? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2006, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

Yes you can, but you may have lifting problems if the clear is too fresh. Specially since you probably will need to spray more base on the area that didn't get enough or any clear, since you will likely be sanding on your base. I am not sure what products you used, but if a urethane clear I would think you would be pretty safe after a few days. If this is a metallic base, then you will for sure have to spray and blend you base in that area if you sand and hit the basecoat. I would sand the whole thing with around 800 grit wet, hit the areas with no clear with a little more base (you can go a little courser if you wish where there will be more base sprayed and more of a scratch for adhesion, generally around 500-600, and then clear the whole panel again with 2-3 coats of clear. If you were planning on only painting that spot, then search this forum for information on blends. You may get away with it if it is down low and you can keep the spot small.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:31 PM

Curious why do I need to spray more base..I have enough on it. Or was that a typo? It is a Dupont Urethane clear It has been a few days in 90 degree heat in my garage. Also its a solid black color base. There is clear on the spot that didnt get hit with enough. It was from the first pass or coat. The 2nd coat did not quite catch it. So you can see the whole quarter is smooth and shinny..the area that didnt get enough has that overspray looking texture where it looks thin. I was thinking wet sand that texture smooth and shoot over it with some clear. But I am not sure what that will do to the rest of the clear. If it will have lifting problems sticking to the existing clear and if it will blend with the existing clear. Thanks for you reply.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:43 AM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

If you cut through the clear in to the base coat you will need to spray more base or it will look off from the rest of the panel, if theres enough clear in that first coat to sand and NOT break through respray the entire panel (if possible) with clear. If you cant/dont wamnt to do the whole panel you could just do the spot then blend it in, theres good information on blending if you search.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Last photo:

The only time you need to spray more base is if you happen to cut through the clear.

Play it safe, after you sand the existing clear set the car in the sun with the panel that you are going to re-clear in direct sunlight. Leave it there all day with the sun on it. This will eliminate or reduce any chance of solvent popping from solvents being released from the existing clear. Take a look at my posts and see the problem I had with some fenders that had been cleared for months, the re-cleared.

Also you need to re-clear the entire panel.

Vince
Old 07-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Sarge

Clear Coat

I agree with the sensitivity of the old clear once it is sanded and resprayed. If you wait as long as you can (days, weeks) and let the solvents escape and the clear is dry thoroughly you "shouldn't" have a problem. I sensed that you missed the spot on the lower part of the quarter. If there is a style line near the area, I would sand the 1st coat of clear with 600 then 1200 grit wet and dry using water. I'd sand up to and maybe 1/32 of an inch over the style line (if there is a style line). I'd then reverse mask that line and spray the clear right up to that edge of the masking. That way you will have a lil extra clear at the edge of the style line that you can buff without fear of rubbing thru the edge. If you have had at least one coat on the "bad" part I wouldn't worry about the base coat, unless you get aggressive with you wet sanding.

Good Luck
(IF all else fails GO WITH DULUX !!! LIL)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.