Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Can I reverse shrink, by doing this?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 11:12 PM

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle
I have used that process before with great results. Use the disc to warm up the metal then can move that metal around that didnt want to move before.

If you are finding that disc is too big for that area take a small 3in rolec grinding disc and ground that disc smooth on some scrap metal. Then run that disc over the area to be shrunk. Works great on small areas, as ALL you are doing is heating the metal...Eric
Thanks, I'll try that.

I am at about 90% with the metal work on the drivers side 1/4. Wife was out, so I spent a good solid 4 hours tonight. I am really happy with the way the quarter panel turned out. I gapped the door at the 1/4, then decided to tackle the passenger side.

The panel to door fit on that side is better, but the door is sitting nearly 1/4" forward from where it should be. I decided "screw-it" I'll regret not fixing it, so I ground the lesser amount of bondo off of the 1/4 at the door gap and went to work. I used the shrinking disc to warm up the metal and move sections of the flange back.

Probably not the best way of doing it, but I'll go to work dollying and shrinking the panel back to fit the door, while removing any bondo.

I wish I simply would have done all this work myself to start with.

Oh well live and learn