can i use the 700-2-3 Shift Kit with the B&M Shift Improver Kit in my 1985 700r4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 12:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

can i use the 700-2-3 Shift Kit with the B&M Shift Improver Kit in my 1985 700r4

hi im wanting to know if i can use both kits in my 700r4 im wanting the Manual and the hard shifting also

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 07:05 AM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:

So, you want to break your 700R-4? Have at it.
I haven't tried the Trans-Go kit, but the B&M kit will do what you want, until the trans inevitably lets go. Not because there's anything wrong with the B&M kit, but because those kits need to be combined with a fresh performance build. Not just a fresh stock rebuild. The 700R-4 can be great, but it doesn't start out great, even with either of those kits.
They were designed to stand alone. The B&M kit has the advantage of raising the line pressure. This does add stress, but it also adds a little holding power, and effectively raises the RPM of the part-throttle upshifts. Not good for MPG, but good for performance. Use the street/strip setting, you'll have plenty of manual control. Everytime it upshifts into second at full throttle, it'll break the rear tires loose, making a bit of sound. This can break U-joints, then you kill a bus load of little kids. And it will kill the band, so expect to gradually lose that tire-noise going into second. It can even break the shell off it's splines, then you're going nowhere fast.
You really need at least a TH400 with a custom driveshaft featuring serious U-joints, or swap in a manual transmission, again, with a custom driveshaft with serious u-joints.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84chevyc10
hi im wanting to know if i can use both kits in my 700r4 im wanting the Manual and the hard shifting also
why would you want to do that? combining 2 different kits is problematic at best as if something doesnt work right, then you spend a lot of time trying to figure out what went wrong.
if you have shifting issues with a current trans and youre just wanting to fix it with a shift improver kit and the trans has got a lot of miles, odds are that youre only giving it a band aid for a deeper problem.
as far as the 700 2-3 kit, again, same thing, and youre asking for trouble.
if this is a fresh build, in order to help you determine what shifting enhancements would work best for what youre wanting out of the trans an idea on what the vehicle is going to be used for would really help. is it a street car only? is it a street/strip car?
you can make the trans shift harder with other means without going with a kit that can potentially cause damage if your not careful. I.E. the 700 2-3 kit will allow any gear at any speed, and not something i would recommend for a primarily street application.
transgo and other manufacturers have several kits to cater what you are looking for shifting wise and as far as manual shifting goes, you can already do that within safety reasons now without the need of a kit.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84chevyc10

why? both kits are not needed for the results you seem to want
Old 01-15-2012, 12:27 PM

thanks to all that replyed i just rebuilt the transmission with the delux kit from monstern transmission and i got the beast sunshell as well but i wanted the really hard shift that bark the tires but i dont want to have porbs with the transmission
Old 01-15-2012, 05:29 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

disd u use a vette servo the trans go kit with a vette servo should bark 2ndf on a freash tranny instead of buyn a band m kit take the 1-2 accumlator use nuts to bring the piston flush with the top of the housing but it will hit 2nd hard all the time un less u have a hp wide band it will damage it is the tv cable set correctly
Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 PM

i used the vett servo and the 500 boost valve.will the the mod with the nuts in the 1 2 acumleter hurt the transmission?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:21 AM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

with a stock band it will break the anchor but a wide band has a wider anchor it will shift very hard ir its a 4x4 that will ad stress to drive train if its 2wd and got a wide band youll be okj with using the nuts on it
Old 01-16-2012, 11:05 AM

nope mine does not have a bigger band that i know oiff

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.