Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Can I use the same arbor for 2" & 4" 3M disks? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/can-i-use-same-arbor-2-4-3m-disks-76086.html)

FrankR 12-14-2005 12:22 PM

Can I use the same arbor for 2" & 4" 3M disks?

I have been looking at the 3M Green Corps disks in the store. They have the typical twist lock on the back. These appear a bit bigger than the 2" arbor. Will they fit? Is the twist-lock on the back the same size for the 2" & 3" disks?

Another question. I was in the store looking at two packages of 3M job packs of 6" 80 grit sanding disks. One set is green, the other set is gold. Same price for each. I couldn't find anything on the package to tell what the difference was. Any ideas? Is one more durable than the other? Both were peel & stick and 80 grit.

1931 steve 12-14-2005 12:38 PM

I use the same size arbor for all of my surface prep pads, if the disk is not supported by the backing of the arbor, I use a cut off disk in between the two and I have had no problems at all, I use the 2"-4" pads.

Not sure what the difference is between the green and gold, :(

Steve :welcome:

MARTINSR 12-14-2005 01:49 PM

The Gold is the higher quality, there may be a different amount of discs in the box if they are the same price.

I have to tell you, that "job pack" sounds like a "retail pack" and they are usually WAY, WAY more money. They can cost three or four times as much as the larger "body shop" style boxes with a few hundred on the roll if you price them per disc.

Brian

FrankR 12-14-2005 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR
The Gold is the higher quality, there may be a different amount of discs in the box if they are the same price.

I have to tell you, that "job pack" sounds like a "retail pack" and they are usually WAY, WAY more money. They can cost three or four times as much as the larger "body shop" style boxes with a few hundred on the roll if you price them per disc.

Brian

The "Job Pack" is like 5 disks for about $5 sold at O'Rielly's or Pep Boys. How small of an amount could I buy from a body shop supply? Would I have to buy some big expensive box?

MARTINSR 12-14-2005 03:14 PM

Like I said, the boxes are much better, but per disc price is about a third of that. Five sheets sure doessn't last very long, you KNOW you will be using twenty or thirty lickity split.

Now, if you go to a autobody paint and supplies store you will find that they will usually have discs in a box where you can buy just a few. These will be a little more than by the large box but WAY cheaper than the retail packs you are use to buying.

You REALLY need to go to an autobody paint and supply store if you are going to be doing any amount of this stuff at all. You get much better info, way more products and you will learn much faster.

I don't know about the 3M products you are using but I have seen some of those retail packs (I use to sell them) that were JUNK. I mean they put the worse junk in those packs.

Move on up to the good stuff you will never be sorry.

Brian