Can I wet sand a pearl coat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 04:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can I wet sand a pearl coat

I painted the Camaro today and was in the middle of the first coat of clear with the pearl mixed in and it was getting quite foggy in the shop so I opened a nearby door to blow some out and the clear with the pearl in it on the front fender near the opened door has a bad sag. Can I cut and buff this or is it going to dull out like metallic? I put two more coats over the top of it after it sagged. Am I going to have to paint the fender over? The pearl was in the clear, if anything I guess I won't have to repaint, maybe just reclear with pearl

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2008, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

sag

i have never tryed the pearl in the clear buy i would think it would be like any other sag u might get,let dry for 24 hrs sand out lightly with a run block .when u get the sag sanded down even it should buff out like it was never there
Old 03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,137 Times in 1,007 Posts
Realistically, you can't. Depending the amount of pearl in the clear, depending on the amount of coats applied, it may be able to be repaired. If there isn't a whole lot of pearl, you can cut the run and then apply more over it. But most likely, it will be seen.

You could rebase it, blending out the base. Then re-pearl it blending that out identical to the base you sprayed. Then apply the rest of the coats of pearl over the whole thing.

I have to say, pearl is a steep learning curve.

Brian
Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

You said it was a bad sag so I take you can see a discolored area were the sag is if so you will need to respray this panel just block the sag with 800 grit then scuff the rest of the panel then you can blend just like MARTINSR said
Old 03-17-2008, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

The pearl don't really look like pearl, the guy I painted it for picked white base and white pearl but the bottle he picked out says "Mica", is this pearl? I had my doubts about white on white. Where I got the run it didn't "bunch" like metallic so I'll try to sand it and see what it does.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

"Mica" is just another name for pearls these days. Did you put it in a urethane clear, or in an "innercoat" clear. The innercoat clear is what the paint companies use for pearl three stages. It is MUCH easier to do than the urethane clear. It is basically a "Colorless" basecoat at that point and very easy to apply.

Brian
Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 AM

Last photo:

I just put it in the clearcoat clear but just the first coat. What makes it easier to apply, does it go on "dry" like basecoat?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY GRAPE
What makes it easier to apply, does it go on "dry" like basecoat?
If I were to look up the formula for a three stage "Pearl white" in a major paint companies data base I would find a formula that would include a base color, and then the "mid coat" color. The mid coat color would consist of tbe mixing clear used in the base colors and a pearl. It is applied exactly the same as a base coat and looks exactly the same.

DuPont had for years in there tech manual a recommendation to simply reduce the mixing clear with basemaker and apply it over a panel prior to painting and blending. It would eliminate "metallic stacking" in the blend. So the use of even straight mixing clear (well straight clear reduced) is often found.

Brian
Old 03-18-2008, 08:18 AM
boatbob2

pearls ???????

Hi,just a little extra information,i went to WALGREENS drug store the other day and bought some of that fine flake that ladys put onto finger nail polish (while its still wet) look for it around the nail polish section, i mixed the flake into the clear and painted it on a motorcycle gas tank,to say the least, ITS BEAUTIFUL,i dont have the receipt,and i dont remember exactly what i paid for it ,but its fairly cheap...try it,you will probably like it.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
Hi,just a little extra information,i went to WALGREENS drug store the other day and bought some of that fine flake that ladys put onto finger nail polish (while its still wet) look for it around the nail polish section, i mixed the flake into the clear and painted it on a motorcycle gas tank,to say the least, ITS BEAUTIFUL,i dont have the receipt,and i dont remember exactly what i paid for it ,but its fairly cheap...try it,you will probably like it.

WAAYYYY AHEAD OF YOU!! My wife used to have a nail salon and has a crapload of those little bottles leftover, she has every color under the sun. The bottles she has are only about one teaspoon each so I'd have to do something small. Some are awsome colors. So, Martin, a three stage is just a two stage with the pearl and mid coat clear already mixed for the in between coat (3rd coat)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.