Can one weld on an aluminum intake manifold? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 03:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can one weld on an aluminum intake manifold?

Hi, I acquired a vintage weiand aluminum intake for my Poly 318 and it needs a little repair work around the water ports on the mating flange. It has some electrolysis that has eaten a few areas under the gasket and is heading into the bolt holes on a couple of spots. Not too deep but the typical rough erosion. A gasket may or may not seal it up with a bunch of RTV. So, is it possible to add a little weld and to these areas? I've MIG welded 6061 with success but never cast parts. What do ya think?
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Aluminum is very easy to weld and any local weld shop should be able to weld it up for you. Only issue is a machine shop would have to replane it back to flat. When you add up the cost of these two operations together you'll likely have more in the intake than you gave for it which means buying a new intake would likely be more cost effective than trying to fix the one you have.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:33 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

I have used JB Weld to fill the electrolosis pitting on more than one older intake. Put it on then sand smooth, no machining involved.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 PM

^^^^^^^
what he said --epoxy-!!

dave
Old 07-26-2012, 06:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevinpointsixtoone View Post
Hi, I acquired a vintage weiand aluminum intake for my Poly 318 and it needs a little repair work around the water ports on the mating flange. It has some electrolysis that has eaten a few areas under the gasket and is heading into the bolt holes on a couple of spots. Not too deep but the typical rough erosion. A gasket may or may not seal it up with a bunch of RTV. So, is it possible to add a little weld and to these areas? I've MIG welded 6061 with success but never cast parts. What do ya think?
Dave
You bet, but you'll need to grind out the oxidated area back to solid aluminum before welding.

Bogie
Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 PM

I think it'd be wise, if using epoxy, to grind the electrolysis back also. I do think an aluminum filled epoxy (Devcon?) would work well so long as the repair was only exposed to gaskets. I wouldn't risk using it if the epoxy was exposed to air/fuel mixture. Just me though.

PatM
Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

I cant comment on the science but my welder only charges 24 beer
Old 07-27-2012, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

We get our aluminum casings for industrial transmissions (Ditch Witch for example) welded by a local weldshop. If he doesn't need to play jigsaw puzzle with it; its usually significantly less than 50 bucks. And an hour of labor in a machine shop should be less than a hundred; especially if you have the time to let it wait until hes got another manifold to surface (saves you on the setup time. Devcon or JB Weld works fine and you only need to level the effected area. We use devcon to fix porosity issues occasionally
Old 07-27-2012, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

The affected area is not large. Maybe a 3/8" wide strip along the water port...which is oh 1.5" long. Now as far as welding, can I MIG cast? I'm setup with argon and aluminum wire and have successfully welded a bunch of 6061. If it needs to go TIG I have a free source that may also surface the weld down to level. Again its a small area...I could knock that down myself with a grinder and hand file.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If you have another piece of cast...fire up the spool gun and give it a go..should work though to mig the repair you need to make..

Just do a trial run on something to get the settings right..

Sam
Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

If you are talking about a mating flange, I would definitely recommend getting it recut in a machine shop. That way you know everything is nice and square, versus guessing with a hand file. I'd hate to get the motor back together and have to pull the intake back off because it didn't seal up properly.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Mark Goulette

One word about welding aluminum, CLEAN. Base material must be clean clean clean, or the weld will look like crap and likely be full of porosity. As cheap as aftermarket intakes are, why go through the trouble? After welding the flange will need to be surfaced, and because you do one, the other will need to be done as well, and that will change the relationship of the manifold to the heads, so you may need to run thicker gaskets to get things lined back up correctly again. If it were me, clean it as best you can, wire brush the hell out of the area, and use epoxy, then carefully file it down. Cheaper, less hassle, and will work just fine.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 AM

weld on aliminum manifold

Yes, my son has do so and there isna priffessonialm welding shop a few blocks from me. However before either one could say for sure I think theynwould have to see pictures of the area needing welding or possible see the manifold in person. I will stop by both and ask them.
jerry
Iwill give you an answer in a couple of days if I can find this post again.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.