Can peanut port heads make power up to 5500rpm? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can peanut port heads make power up to 5500rpm?

I have read that these heads don't make power above 4,500rpm. Riding in my friends stock dually seemed to confirm this. My question is will these heads in stock form pull to 5,500rpm with 9:75 compression, Isky 264 mega cam, 1 3/4 tri-y hedders, weiand dual plane intake with 800 cfm Q-Jet? I know the large ovals flow better, but i have a set of peanut ports that were freshly done with springs to match this cam, also this engine would be in a 5,000lb+ truck. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 AM

Last photo:

If you're not looking for max hp then go ahead and use them. You could have done a little port and polish job and milled the heads a little to up the compression but prob. too late now. Port velosity will be good for the rpm range you are looking at. Don't expect too much but up 5000 rpm it should be ok. Make sure the q-jet is dialed in real good to maximize your combo.

The 80's - 90's 454's were pigs due to very low factory compression and matching inert cam profiles. I had an '88 that chassis dyno'd at 190 hp @ the rear wheels and the dyno operator said that he was impressed.......go figure.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, im not too concerned with top end power but would like it to pull to 5,000-5,500rpm with about 400hp. Just want a broad strong torque curve. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

They used them for 330HP boat engines. 5000-5500 RPM is possible since you have the required valve springs.. Might not be super strong up there however still fun for a truck! Ran my inboard boat up to 5500 however the replacement L29 Vortec 7400 heads sure made a difference. I assume you don't have flat tops if you expect 9.75/1 compression with 118cc Peanuts. Polish the combustion chambers, with that compression ratio it will help reduce chance of detonation if your towing or hauling heavy loads and porting the intake bowl will help.

The problem I have herd with the small intake ports at high rpm is the fuel can return to a non vaporized state when going around the corners.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Last photo:

Yeah the pistons im using are L2349F30-8. Most of my driving won't be near 5,500rpm. But would like it to pull hard up to that rpm for the times that i need it too. These heads seem great for low rpm power, they stopped making power at 4,500 rpm in my friends dually but up to that point the engine felt pretty strong.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.