Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - can see sand paper scratches in basecoat
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
I had a long day yesterday and when I posted...it was late...for me. I just reread your original post, what grit of sand paper did you use under the sealer and primer...How long of a flash time did you allow between coats of primer and sealer. You mentioned you needed to repaint a fender and door...why? Was there body damage? Did you use filler? How was the filler applied and over what? What grit of paper did you finish the filler in (if you used filler) before you applied primer?

I'm rereading your post and a step by step analysis of what you exactly did would help. Not only the proper way to repair the area but, if an error was made, so that we can correct it for you and explain what happened.

Ray

This is how I bought it. Primer over a little bit of body filler. It wasnt that much body filler. The car wasnt dented, but more scratched from someone hitting a guard rail.

I only put some "red lead" filler in small chip parts.

I re-primed it and sanded with 180 (only the parts in primer in picture). Then I re-primed it a week later and sanded with 320; again, only the parts in primer in the pic.

I then sealed the primer parts.

I sanded the whole fender and door with 320. I had to get the old clear coat off because it had bubbles/bumps in it like someone had water in the compressor when they sprayed the clear.

I waited 2 days to put base coat on.

Door came out fine, no scratches.

Scratches in fender appeared over sealed areas.

That takes me today where I sanded whole fender with 600.

Then primed the parts that were scratched again, wet sanded with 600 after it dried for an hour.

Now its worse in some spots and better in others...

Again, car needs to be totally redone (note the bubble on the quarter, ect) It looks much better than it did, just up close you see the sand paper scratches. Running low on paint and dont want to waste more money, so need a quick fix before clear coat.

Last edited by cletusvandamme; 08-20-2013 at 12:56 PM.