Can a shorter filter be used on the 4L60e deeper pan ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can a shorter filter be used on the 4L60e deeper pan ?

I just made a check on the ATF filter before I install it, and it matched up with the one that was put in in the last service just before the 4l60e died on me.
It is the same exactly the same.

Now for the problem. I have a deep OEM pan and there this is the wrong filter according to the ASTG manual.

Q. Would the wrong filter have caused problems in my tranny?

Q. Can a shorter filter be used on the deeper pan ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

not if the dipstick is longer and the taller pan is just making the same amount of fluid sit lower
if the dipstick is the same and you get more fluid because of the taller pan ,then it wouldnt matter
Old 05-04-2011, 08:16 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

not running the right filter with a low fluid level can lead to neutralizing, especially on turns. the proper filter needs to be used.
as far as it being the culprit of the trans failure, i doubt it is the sole reason.
these trans have always had the same problems since brought out as the 700r4 back in 1982. 3-4 clutch failure, burnt 2-4 band, and of course, the sun shell. then when the PWM 4l60e came about, you have the annoying p1870 DTC. to deal with.
you have shown so far several items of interest on what could be a combined cause of failure, but depending on mileage of when it failed, it may have already have lived its service life, and these things that youve found along the way could have helped contribute to it.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys for the quick response !

Tnsmith10 what is neutralizing?

What I have just read on other forums is that running a shorter filter can lead to major pressure fluctuations, the tranny acts as if its 1-2 pints short, which can lead to over heating.

Also how do those dudes with the crazy deep after market pans get away with it. some of them are 4" deep mine is only 2 - 7/8" ??
Old 05-04-2011, 08:44 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

neutralizing means the engine revs but the trans looses pickup on the fluid and doesnt engage.
as far as guys running deeper pans,there are adapters out there that usually come with a deep pan to lower the filter to prevent the trans from sucking air.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

some aftermarket taller pans use a spacer and longer bolts (and an extra gasket)
but i dont know how yours mounts to the bottom of the trans
and this is all O.E.?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

no bolts just straight into the pump. All OEM for the pan .
Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Q. Can a shorter filter be used on the deeper pan?
As long as the transmission is filled to the same level as where a shallow pan dipstick reads "FULL", the same amount of ATF will be covering the short filter as if the trans were fitted w/the shallow pan. One difference is that the hotter fluid will be at the upper fluid level, cooler fluid will be lower, so the short filter will tend to circulate hotter fluid.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Last photo:

The added fence and the longer snout fo the taller filter would mean that it will sit deep at the bottom of the pan,when installed.

if I used the the shorter filter, with no added fence and shorter snout, it would sit up against the valve body, and not deep down in the pan.

I dont know what happens to the fluid levels in the pan as the tranny is running, but if the pan is not constantly full up to the valve body then the shorter filter would be a problem, and could also fall out of the pump.

thanks again for the replys guys.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

you need to run the correct filter for the pan for the simple reason the shorter filter can fall out of the pump.

If you look at the steel pan interior bottom, you will see trace marks from the filter
Old 09-03-2012, 03:36 PM

Yukon, the pan in your illustation is a shallow pan. Holds about -5-1/2 qts. The deep pan hold 2 qts more. You got the right filter.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM

The shallow pan on the left is 2-7/8" from bottom to lip.
I do not know why so many people on the net mistake and mislabel a shallow pan for a deep one.
I have a shallow one on my 99 Silverado pu 4L60E . Takes an AC Delco TF289 filter.
It has a step up near the rear of the pan.(not flat).
It also has a T55 torx bit drain plug which is a devil to get off for some reason. But this time around I got a 1/2" drive Torx bit set from Harbor Freight which allowed me to master that plug.
The irritating part of the supposedly simple oil/filter change was not the drain plug but had to remove the shift cable bracket that was blocking the right side pan bolts. The bracket has two T40 torx bolts that has to be removed blindly from above the bracket. Then could not remove the pan because some spark in GM engineering had placed the lousy crossover exhaust too close. Had it been just 1" back would been no problem. So had to remove one of the exhaust pipes from the engine manifold to be able to pry the crossover down for enough clearance. The lousy 3 bolts holding the pipe to the manifold was on extra long studs which required a metric deep socket that I do not have. Managed to use a shallow socket with the breaker wrench mounted only half way on plus a cheater extension on the wrench because it took a bastard torque to get each nut freed. Nevertheless after cleaning the pan and mounting surface including replacing the magnet, the filter and pan was installed, 5 qts Dexron III, it was a top-notch done job. After a test drive to heat up the fluid, I had to top off with about 1/2 qt more of Dexron to bring to proper level. It says to check level when hot.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:57 PM

trans filter

i agree with crosley
Old 09-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

dtx ... this thread is over 1 year old. I hope oldyukon got the pan back on the trans by now.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:33 PM

trans filter

didnt think to look at date first posted.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.