Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Can someone explain this guy's painting technique?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 08:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can someone explain this guy's painting technique?

In this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouORzU_TZqY

He must obviously be good, he looks like an artist with that gun and his clear appears to be going down very smoothly.

But I'm noticing in this video and a lot of the other videos I watch it's a lot of the same thing. This guy looks like he's making love to that panel with his gun and spraying over and over a lot of spots and at times just seems like he's randomly spraying everywhere, kind of sweeping it with the gun.

When I took a paint class, we shot every night but it was never like this. It was like everything I've always read...spray panel edges first, then smooth strokes all the way down the panel then come back with a 50% overlap.

Granted this guy is spraying metallic, and I will be spraying metallic and am doing all my homework right now. The most I ever sprayed metallic in my class (that I can recall) was a big metallic silver stripe I painted on a fender. It came out good but hardly constitutes a whole car.