Can someone explain this guy's painting technique? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 08:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Can someone explain this guy's painting technique?

In this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouORzU_TZqY

He must obviously be good, he looks like an artist with that gun and his clear appears to be going down very smoothly.

But I'm noticing in this video and a lot of the other videos I watch it's a lot of the same thing. This guy looks like he's making love to that panel with his gun and spraying over and over a lot of spots and at times just seems like he's randomly spraying everywhere, kind of sweeping it with the gun.

When I took a paint class, we shot every night but it was never like this. It was like everything I've always read...spray panel edges first, then smooth strokes all the way down the panel then come back with a 50% overlap.

Granted this guy is spraying metallic, and I will be spraying metallic and am doing all my homework right now. The most I ever sprayed metallic in my class (that I can recall) was a big metallic silver stripe I painted on a fender. It came out good but hardly constitutes a whole car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The guy looks to be a very good painter. I would guess the temperature is not very high, or the air very dry. If I tried that where I live, the paint would be dry, for the most part. His first coat, just getting a good tack cover. If I tried to paint like he does, with the gun that close, I would be screwing up with runs, I have to pull away a little bit more, I am not that experienced. His second, the gun pulls away about approx. 8-10 inches, he's not getting striping and he is going opposite of his first coat, not sideways but up and down the second coat. The third coat, what I call a fog coat, the gun is approx. 12 -16 inches away, he's blending and will avoid getting the "tiger stripes". The clear coat, he's just laying it on to avoid runs, that bumper would be a bear to paint for a beginner, lots of flat places going into contours. I would bet this guy paints a mean motorcycle. This is where I would have a problem with getting it too dry or getting a run, especially in the summer, hot and dry weather. It's interesting to see how he blends into the door, kind of a sweep that lays on just a very light coat. If this was a complete job, you would want to avoid that. Cool video, thanks for posting. We have a few much more experienced painters here, I would like to hear their opinion on this guy also.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:15 AM

Great Job On That Video !
Old 05-20-2012, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
If this was a complete job, you would want to avoid that. Cool video, thanks for posting. We have a few much more experienced painters here, I would like to hear their opinion on this guy also.
Are you referring to how he's fanning the gun at the edges to taper and blend the spray?

I'm going to have to watch this video more closely now. I didn't pick up on him going the opposite direction of the first coat, though I know that's something you're supposed to do.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,011 Posts
The one thing I don't understand about the whole video is the "Lacquer" reference? This looks like standard old solvent basecoat/clearcoat urethane and they refer to the clear as a "lacquer", huh? Maybe it's a regional thing where clear is called "lacquer" or something.

Anyway, about this spray technique, the most important thing to understand about how he is spraying and pulling off no running stuff all over the floor is trigger technique. He is going off and on a LOT he is probably going partial on and not full on trigger on many of those in and out motions on that bumper. That along with a properly set up gun for his style and he pulls off a perfectly covered, paint film. Many who would try his method would end up with WAY too much material because they aren't triggering it properly and the gun could be set up with too much material transfer. He has it choked back a bit, that and the triggering keeps him from applying as much material as it looks like he is.

Brian
Old 05-20-2012, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

I too was confused about the lacquer reference, but seeing as it is a European video (look at the license plate on the vehicle being painted), I assumed 'lacquer' is synonymous for 'clear coat' there.

So basically, Brian, it sounds like you're saying I stick to the way I learned and was taught.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

I also like how near the end he's spraying with his mask up and then is like, 'I should probably put this back down.'
Old 05-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,066 Posts
Wow. After watching that I am not sure whether my finished job would look like 120 grit sand paper or Niagara Falls. He obviously knows what he is doing but I don't think I will be trying to copy him. After watching it, I agree with Brian. He is feathering the trigger as he goes to control the amount of paint but still..... It would appear he would end up with dry over spray or so much paint on the panel it would run off in sheets. This is probably the difference between someone who paints a car every two years and someone who paints 2 a day.

John L
Old 05-20-2012, 05:04 PM

Last photo:

video

I watched the video twice. If I used that technique I'd have runs everywhere. Notice he's in a professional quality paint booth, there is no fogging at all.

I don't understand why the door wasn't masked off when he shot the quarter panel.

Ron
Old 05-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto_ron
I watched the video twice. If I used that technique I'd have runs everywhere. Notice he's in a professional quality paint booth, there is no fogging at all.

I don't understand why the door wasn't masked off when he shot the quarter panel.

Ron
Because you want the SAME amount of paint on the blend panel if you can. This is one mistake a lot of painters I have seen make. They mask it off, then paint the quarter then unmask it and blend. There isn't enough paint on the blend panel to cover the original paint and the blend was a waste because it doesn't match the quarter! Sure you CAN do it if you blend properly. People will think "well the color is almost exactly the same so it will cover fast", but this is simply not the case. It will cover faster, but wifing a little paint over the original paint as a blend often isn't enough.

Brian
Old 05-20-2012, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

I epoxied the underside of my hood, my roof, and my hoodscoop today and I think my spraying was worse today only because I watched that video. I think I was subconciously trying to do some of that stuff and I was getting a pretty dry coat. I need to stick to how I learned and how I've always done it, that suits me best.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

I think knowing the camera is on him is exaggerating things a bit but they say to spray waterborne like that..same with the Envirobase clear where you build mils rather than coats.
,,. nice booth too
Old 05-21-2012, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

This guy has great technique and trigger control.
That's the biggest trick--- Trigger control.
Had many people want to watch me, and they always come outta the booth sayin the same thing.
"Don't believe how hard it is, always thought ya just pulled the trigger and put the paint on."

That's the differance between a "Painter" and an "applier"
Anybody can apply paint !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy
This guy has great technique and trigger control.
That's the biggest trick--- Trigger control.
Had many people want to watch me, and they always come outta the booth sayin the same thing.
"Don't believe how hard it is, always thought ya just pulled the trigger and put the paint on."

That's the differance between a "Painter" and an "applier"
Anybody can apply paint !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's my new signature...THANKS MAN!!!
I can't find where to add or edit signature...durn.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer
I too was confused about the lacquer reference, but seeing as it is a European video (look at the license plate on the vehicle being painted), I assumed 'lacquer' is synonymous for 'clear coat' there.

So basically, Brian, it sounds like you're saying I stick to the way I learned and was taught.

That was shot in the UK where clear coat has always been referred to as lacquer and lacquer is what we call cellulose.

He overlaps more than I'd be comfortable with and he gets a lot more overspray so I guess uses more material too

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.