Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Can someone ID this motor for me?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 02:39 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327

I wouldn't let it bother you too much- Chevy never called their 396 BBC engine a "BBC", either- but it's known what you mean when you type 396 BBC, just like it's known that a "400M" is a Ford 400cid engine.

So, while "400" may well be the one and only true correct designation for the 400M, I will continue to use 400M

(incorrect as it may be) as a way to discern it from any other 400 engine, or typing out "400 Ford" or 335 series 400", or "the 400 Ford that looks like the 351M engine", etc.

It is just easier and it assures there's no confusion.
While it may help you in your seemingly limitless fog, you are posting incorrect information and causing further confusion among others.

Quote:
The 400 335 Series was released in 1971 to replace the 390 FE in passenger car service. With the previous release of the 351C in 1970, FORD had two different block heights in the same engine family, hence two different engines.

The 351C was discontinued after the 1974 model year it's having been used as both a passenger car and performance engine.

FORD simply took the 400 block, de-stroked it and made an engine that was available for replacement for the 351C 2V in passenger car service and the 360 FE in light truck service. The FE 390 was subsequently discontinued from service in the light truck lineup. FORD now had two engine sizes available for service using one block instead of two ($$$).

The proper nomenclature is 351M/400. MODIFIED is the general description used by FORD to differentiate the new engine from the previous 351C and the 351W.

The M designation is commonly referred to “Modified”, and is derived from the use of both "Cleveland" (block, heads) and "Windsor" (crankshaft) components in the same engine. A "Modification" for the parts intended application so to speak.

This gave FORD a small displacement engine series (302-351W), a mid-size engine series (351M-400) and a large size engine series (429-460) to cover all possible needs.
Quote:
In all discussions of Ford V8 engines, it is extremely important to understand that Ford, unlike its competitors at the time, did not have just small block and big block engines. Ford engines generally came in three size ranges, sized to best suit the application.
I think you need to stay with GM. It doesn't seem to tax you as much.