Can someone ID this motor for me? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 08:19 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What in the world have I come across here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327

In the HAMB thread you quoted from, that contains this: also has guys posting "400M" as a way to ID that particular engine.
And his mistake makes the term acceptable in your world?

Quote:
Interestingly, the SAME article/wiki page you quoted from above, ALSO has this passage (next to the last paragraph).
Uh...Did you happen to notice my join date?

Quote:
In all discussions of Ford V8 engines, it is extremely important to understand that Ford, unlike its competitors at the time, did not have just small block and big block engines. Ford engines generally came in three size ranges, sized to best suit the application.
I was using that well before WIKI became so popular. How do you think it was sourced?

WIKI is a sham as facts are not usually researched prior to entry. Your misnomer of 400M reflects that. WIKI is the last place in the world I would look for fact or refer another to information.

Quote:
Live by the wiki, die by the wiki.
That is obviously why you are an editor, correct?

Quote:
Since Google is your friend, try taking a look here, at some of the 296,000-odd hits for "400m engine".
And that simply shows that there are that number of misinformed morons such as yourself.

Quote:
Just so we're clear on this- as I said previously- I will continue to use "400M" when referring to the 335 series 400cid Ford engine. You ain't gotta like it- but you WILL deal w/it.
I could care less what you do. You have demonstrated yourself to be a non-caring moron. And yes, I have to deal with others like yourself on a daily basis. I don't like it but I also do not have to accept it.

And if you keep using this incorrect term, what other fallacies and wives tales are you still passing on?

Quote:
Lastly, the OP didn’t seem to have any problem understanding me- and the OP is who I was addressing in the first place.
He described the engine correctly.

Had you described it as a B BLOCK he would have understood you as he came here for info and got another wives tale instead.

Quote:
Besides, if that’s ALL you are able to find “wrong” w/my posts, I’ll call that pretty damn good for someone lost in a "seemingly limitless fog"! LOL

You are dismissed.
You really need to see someone about that wild hair you have, The giggling is detracting from whatever little credence you have.

I have not been here in quite a while as I do not enjoy mostly GM posts on a continual basis. What I find is another self-described expert giving out incorrect information.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbelt57

Its in a '77 F150 fwd. The guy who sold it to me told me it was a 400. If no one can tell right off the bat, then what?

Take the head off and measure the bore and stroke?

I thought I saw something that looked like #'s under the starter (passenger side of the block). Maybe I should check the VIN before I waste your time. It may be the original motor.
There is no way to easily visually differentiate a 351M/400NO M. They both use the same basic engine parts (block-heads-intakes) so Casting I.D. Nos will be of little help.

The balancers are different, but I have not come across a detailed explanation of the difference(s).

If you are lucky, the VECI Decal will still be readable. Also, there should be stamped on the block a partial VIN of the donor vehicle. This will easily I.D. it. Otherwise, you are going to have to pull a head. The dowel trick is not concise because of the angle of the spark plug port on the 335 SERIES.

Now see how easy that was?

-DIFFERENTIATING THE 335 SERIES ENGINE FAMILY-

-INTERNET MYTHS, LEGENDS AND MISNOMERS-
Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

KULTULZ, I don't understand why you have to make such a big deal about an abbreviation. Why don't you just stick to answering the op's questions instead of *****in about people saying 400m.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:58 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ

The balancers are different, but I have not come across a detailed explanation of the difference(s).
Below are passenger car balancer descriptions-

Harmonic Balancer- OEM repl. All 400NO M.

Casting I.D. No- D2AE-C
Service PN- D2AZ-6316-C 73/74 74/76 W/O AC

Casting I.D. No- D5AE 6316-DA
Service PN- D5AZ 6316-B 75/76 A/C

Harmonic Balancer- OEM repl. All 351M 75/

Casting I.D. Nos- D5AE-A/D5AE-AA/AB
Service PN- D5AZ-6316-A W/O A/C

Casting I.D. No- D5AE-CA
Service PN- D5AZ 6316-B A/C

Light Truck and BRONCO applications will most likely have a T as the third character in the Casting I.D. Prefix XXTX-XX

The above info will give you an idea of how complicated the subject can get-
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373

KULTULZ,

Quote:
I don't understand why you have to make such a big deal about an abbreviation. Why don't you just stick to answering the op's questions instead of *****in about people saying 400m.
Well, that's understandable.

BTW- The OP described the engine correctly.

Either you are going to offer correct information or you are not.

When you want to know something, do you want a bunch of wives tales or do you want facts?

When you speak GHETTO MACHINE LANGUAGE, do you describe the CHEV 400 as a SBC or BBC? Why are the 348/409 referred to as W-SERIES?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
When you speak GHETTO MACHINE LANGUAGE, do you describe the CHEV 400 as a SBC or BBC? Why are the 348/409 referred to as W-SERIES?
Well im not a ford guy but the chevy 400 is a small block. I'm pretty sure the terms big block and small block have to do with the actual size of the block, not the displacement.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
When you speak GHETTO MACHINE LANGUAGE, do you describe the CHEV 400 as a SBC or BBC?
Technically speaking, neither. It's either a "Mk. IV V8" or a "Small V8" (after the big blocks came out), according to the factory Chevrolet manual. The factory has used "400" to describe BOTH a BBC and a SBC.

Quote:
Why are the 348/409 referred to as W-SERIES?
Same reason a 400M is called a 400M. LOL

Last edited by cobalt327; 08-10-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:37 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Technically speaking, neither. It's either a "Mk. IV V8" or a "Small V8" (after the big blocks came out), according to the factory Chevrolet manual. The factory has used "400" to describe BOTH a BBC and a SBC.
But THANK YOU for making my point clear as glass for me!

Just as "BBC" and "SBC", etc. has become part of the vernacular, so has "400M". It has NADA to do w/"correctness"- neither factory has used these terms "officially"- it has EVERYTHING to do w/RECOGNITION.

Show me ONE guy who doesn't understand "400M" and I'll show you a tyro of epic proportion. Same as w/"SBC" or "BBC".

EDIT- You badmouthed Wiki pretty good. I am a Crankshaft Coalition Wiki "editor"- and PROUDLY so. What of it? So are many members here- that's how good, reliable, peer-reviewed info becomes available for public use. And, I see YOU are also a wiki “editor”, albeit w/but one to your credit. Better than none, I suppose. LOL

Last edited by cobalt327; 08-10-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Name calling and personal attacks are against policy, a violation of the gudelines and will not be tolerated, period.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 08-10-2010, 02:09 PM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:

EDIT- You badmouthed Wiki pretty good. I am a Crankshaft Coalition Wiki "editor"- and PROUDLY so. What of it? So are many members here- that's how good, reliable, peer-reviewed info becomes available for public use. And, I see YOU are also a wiki “editor”, albeit w/but one to your credit. Better than none, I suppose. LOL
I have read many of the contributions by so-called editors and many are laughable. I would hate to actually source yours.

The ONE I edited was for safety not information.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:14 PM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS

Name calling and personal attacks are against policy, a violation of the gudelines and will not be tolerated, period.
If I have done something that offends either you or board policy, hit the DELETE button.

While this board may allow misinformation to be posted, I will surely call the contributor on it. If all that is going to be posted is misinformation then I surely have no business being here.

Where is your policy regarding one's posting misinformation and then his/her/it's/mutants continuing ignorance when called on it?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

I can identify all the 351M/400/400M. Scrap Iron. $.07/pound. Take your pick.

When I got out of the stock engine building business 10 years ago, I could not give one of those engines away. At the time, scrap was cheap and had to pay someone to haul them off, at least 50 of them.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:09 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport
I can identify all the 351M/400/400M. Scrap Iron. $.07/pound. Take your pick.
Now THAT is funny.

I think I read somewhere though, that someone did real good in that "Engine Masters" deal w/one of them, I believe it was the 400M.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

This thread doesn't appear to have any new technical merit, has deterriorated, and is being locked.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Closed Thread

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.