Can someone photoshop a pic for me, Please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Be American, Buy American!

Wiki Edits: 0

Can someone photoshop a pic for me, Please

#1 08-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Gr8 '48 bow tie
Be American, Buy American! Join Date: Jul 2002

Can someone photoshop a pic for me, Please?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revised version is posted.

Al

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Gr8 '48 bow tie : Today at 06:57 PM. Reason: title change

Gr8 '48 bow tie
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Gr8 '48 bow tie
Find all posts by Gr8 '48 bow tie
Add Gr8 '48 bow tie to Your Buddy List

#2 08-19-2006, 12:33 AM
home brew
Registered User Join Date: Feb 2005

Here is a pic from carnut. Can someone do what Gr8 '48 bow tie wants done to it.
Attached Thumbnails

home brew
View Public Profile
Send a private message to home brew
Find all posts by home brew
Add home brew to Your Buddy List

#3 Today, 12:30 AM
Gr8 '48 bow tie
Be American, Buy American! Join Date: Jul 2002

If someone can photoshop a pic of a '48 Chevy Fleetline Aerosedan this is what I am looking for. I want to see what it looks like with the rear quarter windows filled in, with a large Chevy Bow Tie shaped port hole in the center. BTW paint the car red Please.

Thanks Al

Gr8 '48 bow tie
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Gr8 '48 bow tie
Find all posts by Gr8 '48 bow tie
Add Gr8 '48 bow tie to Your Buddy List

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2006, 03:37 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I don't do photoshop, but here's what I came up with in Gimp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	48_fleetline-red-bowtie-body.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	14297   Click image for larger version

Name:	48_fleetline-red-bowtie.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	14298   Click image for larger version

Name:	48_fleetline-red.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	14299  
Old 08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Great job grouch!!!!!!!!! You know that doesn't look to bad. Better than I thought it would. Perhaps if the bowtie was swapped end for end to give a similar slope to the B pillar it would look better.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

Thanks home brew.

I tried resting it on the window sill so the trailing edge of the bowtie would sort of match the trailing edge of the window, but then back seat passengers could only see the road through it. Flipping the bowtie lets it match up with the lines of the window frame, but it might cause Chevy fanatics to riot.

Attached: a little minor tweaking to take off the hood ornament and some trim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	48_fleetline-red-trimmed.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	14326  
Old 08-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Grouch - Taking off the trim makes it look better. Good job. I think you are right about the Chevy bowtie guys freaking out. I think if Gr8 '48 bow tie is going to go the trouble of doing the back window he might as well go the mild custom route with shaving the emblems, trim and handles, frenching the lights and changing the grille as well.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

How about a slightly warped chrome bowtie as the grille? Couldn't quite get the headlights right, either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	48_fleetline-bowtie-grille.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	14330  
Old 08-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Looking good!!! I wish that Gr8 '48 bow tie would give some comments.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:54 AM

Last photo:

I couldn't resist it. Attached shows it sectioned about 3 - 4 inches and the trailing edge of the rear fender angled up slightly more, for a little more of a teardrop effect. (That should make the tail-gaters back off in the rain). Didn't re-radius the fenders, so it hunkers down over the tires a little more, now. Took out the center divider in the windshield; should be a 1-piece available somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	48_fleetline-sectioned.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	14333  
Old 08-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

I like that better than with the bowtie rear window. Looks like a real tail dragger now!! Getting into the full custom class.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:06 AM
Be American, Buy American!

Great job guys, Thank you so much for the excellent renderings
of "Gr8 '48 bow tie". A lot of those ideas have been in my head for a while.

home brew and grouch, I do plan to shave the handles, hood emblem, remove the center windshield divider, French the head and tail lights, recess the license plate on the rear deck, lose the bumpers and install roll pans, install gas door to hide the ugly gas cap that is sticking out of the right rear fender. I want to change the grille but I never thought of the huge bow tie grille but I like it but perhaps make it neon. I had originally thought of maybe a '55 Chevy grille. If I could get my pics to upload, I could have a project photo album but computers and I don't Gee Haw very well. Again Thanks and keep the ideas flowing something might jump off the pages and grab my attention. I still like the Bow Tie rear quarter window idea. I have no idea where that came from, one day last week I was out working on her and it just popped into my brain and I just wanted to see how it would look. I never saw or heard of anyone having one and thought it was a novel idea.

Al
Old 08-23-2006, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8 '48 bow tie
<SNIPPED>
If I could get my pics to upload, I could have a project photo album but computers and I don't Gee Haw very well.
What are the specifics of the problem? 1. What do you do, step by step? 2. What are the results, at each step?

(It's almost a sure bet you're using that MS garbage that has been foisted onto almost everyone by preinstallation, but even that shouldn't keep you from being able to get pictures uploaded. You most likely just need to learn the magic mouse wiggles it requires).
Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 PM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

Grouch; What program are you using to do the mods. Damm I'd like to learn how to do that. Have a few projects that I could really use that on. Great job. Hey 48 they used to take the center section out of a '49 merc grill and join them together and mount it in the 46 -48 Chevys. Used the '46 outer grill molding or justfilled the holes. Cheers!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46chevyfleetline
Grouch; What program are you using to do the mods. Damm I'd like to learn how to do that. Have a few projects that I could really use that on. Great job. Hey 48 they used to take the center section out of a '49 merc grill and join them together and mount it in the 46 -48 Chevys. Used the '46 outer grill molding or justfilled the holes. Cheers!!!
I use GIMP:

http://www.gimp.org
"GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages."

It doesn't seem to mind that I'm not an artist and it doesn't nag me for license fees.

Several people on here told me how to 'photochop', based on their use of Adobe Photoshop (that's about $600).

1. Open the original .jpg image and immediately "save as" and just change the filename extension to .xcf (Gimp's format). This way it will save all layers and extras that .jpg images don't have.

2. Duplicate the layer holding the "background", which is really the whole original image. This is so you can fall back to the original when you make a big mess of a copy. I rename this layer to "body copy".

3. I then use the "paths" tool, while zoomed in, to just kind of make a dotted line around such things as headlights, windows, trim, tires, one at a time.

4. As I get some non-body part outlined with a path, I use "Select -> from path", then "Edit -> copy", then I create a new layer and "Edit -> paste". That saves the outlined part for later. I then reselect the body copy layer, do "Select -> from path" again, but this time I use "Edit -> cut". That leaves a hole only in the body copy layer, but the new layer holds a copy of what was in that hole.

5. After only the body is left in the body copy layer, I can use any of the filters or color tools or paint tools to mess with the color.

6. When satisfied with the paint job, I choose which of the other layers to be visible, then use "File -> Save a copy" and save that copy as a .jpg. This way the .xcf still as all the layers, but the saved image is a standard .jpg that anyone can view.

It sounds more complicated than it is. It just takes a little fiddling with the program to learn where everything is located. The main thing to figure out is the use of layers and how to select parts of an image. (I use "Edit -> undo" a lot).

One of the goals of Gimp was to make a free workalike for Photoshop, so it's just about as complex as that thing. I like its menus a whole lot better than Photoshop's, even though I'm using an older version. The new one is supposed to have menus that are easier to get started with.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:15 AM

Last journal entry: A few more
Last photo:

Thanks Grouch. I appreciate you takin the time to explain the how to's, I'll give it a try, but first I need a stiff drink to unbogle the grey matter LOL. Thanks again Cheers !!!
Old 08-25-2006, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46chevyfleetline
Thanks Grouch. I appreciate you takin the time to explain the how to's, I'll give it a try, but first I need a stiff drink to unbogle the grey matter LOL. Thanks again Cheers !!!
Welcome. There were several people on here who took the time to talk me through my first image 'paint job'. This is payback.

Some screenshots might be helpful. (I've been given grief over my plain, bland, unartsy desktop before; I don't mind. I like it simple). Gimp will look differently on your computer, but the same tools will be available.

gimp-screen-1.jpg -- This shows the car with the background cut out. You can see that I missed the top of a cooler or something showing on top of the hood ornament. A lot of stuff showing in this shot, but just like in a car, you don't have to know every button, switch and dial just to drive it. Note the "Layers, Channels, Paths, Undo" window on the left. The layer named "car" is selected, so any work done at this time would only affect that layer. That layer also shows an eye beside it and is therefore visible. (It's the only layer that was visible for this screenshot).

gimp-screen-2.jpg -- Here I have cut out the grille, headlights, bumper, hood emblem, hood ornament, front tire and the shadow. Notice the selected and visible layer is "body copy #1". I made a copy just to increase the brightness so I could see where the shadow met the lower edge of the body a little better. When doing the cutting, though, I had a layer named "body" selected, but not visible. That let me look at the one with the higher brightness, but work on the one with the proper look to it.

gimp-screen-3.jpg -- This is the layer with everything removed from the body. The layer is named, appropriately, "body". Notice the brightness and contrast are the same as the original picture. Only the copy was brightened to help me see the edges of shadows better while cutting shapes out.

It's a little like disassembling the car, only without grease. I ended up with 25 layers so I could mix and match things to get the various jpg images posted earlier. After getting the various parts pasted into their own layers, it was fairly easy, then, to try out different suggestions that home brew made or that popped into my fevered brain along the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gimp-screen-1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	14393   Click image for larger version

Name:	gimp-screen-2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	14394   Click image for larger version

Name:	gimp-screen-3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	14395  

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.