Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Can SS paint be used to touch up bc/cc (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/can-ss-paint-used-touch-up-bc-cc-199183.html)

cboy 05-25-2011 10:28 AM

Can SS paint be used to touch up bc/cc

I shot my car with Restoration Shop bc/cc and it has begun to gather some tiny stone chips and other scratches. Restoration Shop also offers the same color paint in a Single Stage Urethane. I'm thinking that would be a better way to touch up the stone chips (applied with pin or tiny brush tip) than to try to shoot bc/cc. Any potential problems mixing the two types of paint?

Irelands child 05-25-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cboy
I shot my car with Restoration Shop bc/cc and it has begun to gather some tiny stone chips and other scratches. Restoration Shop also offers the same color paint in a Single Stage Urethane. I'm thinking that would be a better way to touch up the stone chips (applied with pin or tiny brush tip) than to try to shoot bc/cc. Any potential problems mixing the two types of paint?

Don't you just "love" road rash. But you can consider them battle scars :pain:

I've only using SS on mine for touch up - but those spots will show (at least to your discerning eye).

Dave W

cboy 05-25-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irelands child
...I've only using SS on mine for touch up -

So no "chemical" sorts of issues using SS to repair bc/cc?

Irelands child 05-25-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cboy
So no "chemical" sorts of issues using SS to repair bc/cc?

Not on the road rash kind of dings, but it is a urethane base paint that I'm using ( or at least it's not lacquer ).

Why not pick a hidden spot and try your touch up paint - i.e. bottom of a door. If that touch up is lacquer based, you might have some lifting - tho it probably isn't.

cboy 05-25-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Why not pick a hidden spot and try your touch up paint...

I would have to order a whole quart of it if I was to go this route. So I wanted to be quite certain before I go to that expense that the urethane SS is not going to create any problems when used with the urethane BC/CC.

And if I understand you correctly, it shouldn't have any ill effects...with the exception of not matching up absolutely perfect...which is almost always the case when you don't spray on the repair I think.

Arrowhead 05-25-2011 01:48 PM

Why not make your own SS? Try mixing some of your left over base coat and premixed clear (mix your clear and activator first) and whala, you have a single stage touch up paint! Just mix it 1:1 base to clear. I caught that trick from Barryk a few years ago. Now I'm sure you can't do that with every combination of base and clear, but it's worth a try. I've even mixed the base w/ reducer and added the clear concoction to it and sprayed out of an air brush.

cboy 05-25-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrowhead
Try mixing some of your left over base coat and premixed clear (mix your clear and activator first) and whala, you have a single stage touch up paint!

Interesting idea, and worth a try.

TucsonJay 05-25-2011 03:45 PM

My paint store suggested I add about 20-25% clear to the base, to make single stage.

Hope that helps to keep it from being too transparent.

dinger 05-25-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Why not make your own SS? Try mixing some of your left over base coat and premixed clear (mix your clear and activator first) and whala, you have a single stage touch up paint! Just mix it 1:1 base to clear. I caught that trick from Barryk a few years ago. Now I'm sure you can't do that with every combination of base and clear, but it's worth a try. I've even mixed the base w/ reducer and added the clear concoction to it and sprayed out of an air brush.

This does work and many shops will give you a small bottle for touch-up after a paint job.

Irelands child 05-25-2011 06:41 PM

Not a bad idea, George. Too bad I don't have any clearhttp://planetsmilies.net/sad-smiley-384.gif

Dave W

Arrowhead 05-26-2011 06:08 AM

Stop over and I'll give you some - I'll trade you for a ride in your hot rod :)

I'll be off all next week working in the garage so stop by anytime.

Irelands child 05-26-2011 06:17 AM

Quote:

Stop over and I'll give you some - I'll trade you for a ride in your hot rod :)

I'll be off all next week working in the garage so stop by anytime.

.....if the weather holds, I'll make it 'the plan'.

Dave W

cboy 05-26-2011 07:09 AM

Can I come too? After all, I started this thread. :D

Irelands child 05-26-2011 07:36 AM

YOU DID? You're right - been known to do a hijack :nono:

Well of course you can visit - but ONLY if you drive your creation. Directions are simple - I-90 EAST TO I-87 North to .....well when you get that far, call for local driving directions :D

Dave W

cboy 05-26-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

... Directions are simple - I-90 EAST TO I-87 North to .....

Or in my case it would be: Drive to Chicago. Take a left. And Dave's place is the 7,864th mailbox on the right.