Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Can vacuum and mechanical advance curve tuning help my lopey cam bucking issue?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Interesting read. thanks

Well I got the adjustable vac adv installed today. No fiasco like last time. I dropped the dist right in and hit the original timing right on the money. BTW I don't care what the initial is as long as it doesn't kick back against the starter. I just set the timing at about 2500 rpm and let initial fall where it may.

I preadjusted the vac adv to what I thought might be about 12 degrees. Again right guess.

So I have 34 deg at 1900 rpm centrifugal plus 12 deg vac at 10 inches vac. I measured the vac adv with the motor running and used a small hand vac pump. works nice.

The idle speed picked up 200 rpm so I need to slow this down tomorrow. The idle vac went from 9-10 in to 14-15 in and it is very smooth. In gear it went from 750-800 to almost 1000 so again I'll slow it down a little tomorrow after I take it for a nice cold weather cruise. The AFR did not change but I don't count this untill I get a good 1/2 hour drive. We'll see the final results tomorrow but it sure looks encouraging.

I have very lean jets and transition mix so we'll see how just changing the vac adv affects running and the tune up since I changed nothing else.

I also noted that the exhaust smell was much less. At least it didn't stink up the shop like it did before the change.