Can VolksWagens be Hot Rodded? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

After the SBC, the Volkswagen engine is the second most popular engine in the world and has the second most aftermarket parts available. $3k for a hopped up vw crate engine sounds better to a college student than $6k for an SBC crate engine

Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 11:11 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Scott,

After seeing the pics of your bugs and then reading the description of the Mustang...my best advice is to WAIT. Those bugs looks in relatively good shape and as Sean's says, they are as valuable or even more so than the Mustang - considering the shape it is in.

I don't have any quarrel with you desire to build a Mustang over a VW, but I have a gut feeling you can can do much better on the "deal" by waiting. Get those bugs out of the dirt, clean 'em up a bit and then sell them or part them out. With the proceeds you can find yourself a Mustang in much better condition. At least that's my opinion based on what little I can glean from the pics and description.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,163 Times in 959 Posts
In my opinion, if I had 3 cars to work with and a grandpa with a head full of knowledge about them, my way would be clear. Many years from now when you don't have your grandpa any more, you'll have some fond memories and pictures to reflect on. The relationship you'll establish with him will be priceless.

As others have related above, VW's are cheap and easy to work on and can be made into eye-catching rides. I can't find the link right now, but one of the best I've seen is the So-Cal style of VW, painted flat black with a straight axle and red wire wheels. In my opinion, you could have a *****in' VW for a lot less money and time than an ill-handling Mustang with a big block in it.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Scott,

After seeing the pics of your bugs and then reading the description of the Mustang...my best advice is to WAIT. Those bugs looks in relatively good shape and as Sean's says, they are as valuable or even more so than the Mustang - considering the shape it is in.

I don't have any quarrel with you desire to build a Mustang over a VW, but I have a gut feeling you can can do much better on the "deal" by waiting. Get those bugs out of the dirt, clean 'em up a bit and then sell them or part them out. With the proceeds you can find yourself a Mustang in much better condition. At least that's my opinion based on what little I can glean from the pics and description.
my grandpa lives next to a junk yard (owned by his 1st cousn)

so i mean i could always go to him and see if he would trade..

but i want the mustang..

and he dosent have any in conditon better than that..

i would wait. but idk if i can find any mustangs around here..

and i dont want to buy off of ebay b/c most are Pickup Only shipping

idk what to do
Old 01-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

i just posted a new thread under hot rod basics...

it says final decision VW vs. 65 Stang

just simpily post VW or Stang...

and any comments.. post them here

thats just for VW or Stang
Old 01-11-2007, 03:47 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Well, ya gotta go with your heart. And your heart seems to be telling you Mustang...and Mustang NOW. Can't say that I blame you. Once I see a car I want there's basically no stopping me. I've GOT to have it or to build it.

Just know that whatever you end of doing, HR.Com will be here to support you and answer any questions once you actually start the project.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Well, ya gotta go with your heart. And your heart seems to be telling you Mustang...and Mustang NOW. Can't say that I blame you. Once I see a car I want there's basically no stopping me. I've GOT to have it or to build it.

Just know that whatever you end of doing, HR.Com will be here to support you and answer any questions once you actually start the project.
sigh....

alrighty

i just posted on the other one.. but i'll write it here...

well i do have money...
and the VWs just arent my style..
i want a Mustang..
and i ahve the time to do it..
all the tools b/c my grandpa lives next to my uncle who owns a motorcycle shop and just finished a Mach I... my other grandpa has a good sized shop and i can do work at both places..
i have the tools..
the parts for the exterior come with it..
i have the hookups for most the interior.. and my grandpa lives next to a junkyard.. any little things i need i can buy or bargin buy from him...
i dont really like the VW's... if i did.. i would ahave done them 3 years ago.. when my dad started on one.. but decided not to
but if the title isnt cleared.. i'll work on the best conditioned VW and sell it for alot more.. and then sell it... and buy a good mustang

(he mentioned something about he couldnt get the title cleared.. b/c the VIN was bad.. said it was coming back with some charge on it....)

and if that case isnt cleared some how...then i'l restore the Vaccum tranny'd one.. and sell it..

now i'm thinking about doing that anyway
Old 01-12-2007, 11:35 AM

Can Volkswagens be Hot Rodded

Yeah some Correction's here . 1st off Vw's use too be Cheap too build stock ones . 3k is nothin in world of Vw's in fact 5 or 6 k is more the Norm . 10 k for type 4 puttin out 220+ hp on daily basis 3 k will barely fuel inject and Turbo charge a motor allready built . Dont Kidd your selves theres every bit as much fabrication , and work in a Vw as there is in a T- Bucket Rodd. There's a whole industry of aftermarket parts, company's, sprung up around Vw air cool motor's .Most of wich is junk doesnt work . Vw guy's are with out a doubt the toughest lott of folks , ever too turn a wrench . Think nothin of rebuildin same motor 5 times too get it right ! In fact one of the best builder's I know told me 3/4's of the Bugg's reborn again are reborn again wrong . There is only 3 manual's <<, all out dated that even address Hi Perf Vw's from 60's and 70's . With the Exception of Gene Berge's Book . Wich is Considerd too be Some what out Dated . Most first timers dont get Vw right . Almost Gotta be from So Cal too Successfully run a Hi Perf Vw . The Statement that Vw's are simple, and Easy too build ? << Is so far off base ! I cant even reply too it . I often think about Stephen Hawkins << Mathematical genuise who helped out with Big Bang theory . Parrellel universe theory Etc. Qaudrapalegic who can do Calculous in his head . If I could only send him a Spec sheet of bore's and stroke's . Or learn too do Calculous in my head ? Vw's Use Nascar Technology , Dragg raceing technology , Off Road Raceing technology << List Goes on . We actually have a Local Guy here with a foundry that cast his own cases. Not sure if you all read the Post on the CNC machines in here from Sear's and Roe buck ? But it Instantly brought too mind Type 1 Bugg motors for me . The reason that the aftermarket parts Industry is so large around Vw is that there fairly easy too fabricate parts for . Meaning if you have an Idea ? You can readily put it intoo service and see if it work's . << Where most of are Junk parts that dont work, come from . Vw is definantly a Buyer Beware program . The Guy that Machines my Parts for my Vw's . Is Retired from Boeing . Been doing Vw for over 25+ Years that I know of . Same Guy machined parts for the guy that does experimental air craft out of Mojave . The one who flew Non stop around the World . And is Same Machinist who will Build a 1835cc Motor for a Guy here Building his Own Air Plane at home in his Garage. Lotts of Aviation Here . From deisel draggster Truck's out of Las Vegas Nev Too a 1600cc Motor too runn class 9 off road races . Point being Vw Air cool motors are Probably the most sophisticated builds there is . But beware You Build one ? Instantly become a Jethro magnet . Im talkin Guy's that will cross a busy freeway on the run too wave you down , almost gettin hit by a 18 wheel semi truck too tell you there Porsche motor in a Vw story ! <<< Has too qaulify as Urban Legend By now ! I personally know At least 80 Versions of this Story . Every One of them Learned Unwillingly under Polite protest too down right being rude too Jethro . Wich rudeness only seem's Too Encourage Jethro too Add more Macarbe Detail's of the Wrecked Porsche and how it Disinergrated intoo nothing. Grinding it's Occupants intoo Hamburger . But by some Miraculouss Divine intervention the Motor Survived the Wreck Completely Unscathe'd .<< Well the Usuall is, it takes Divine intervention too out run a Ford, and almost out run the Chevy ? I personally like the added addition of how they find a severed ear or toe in the intake when partially disassembling the motor too install in the Vw . << Always gives the story so much more creditability as too being true ! Yipp now that I think about it ? Probably be best too Build the Stang . Take's an extremely tough Constituion too keep your Sauer Kraut and Weenies with Beer Down while suffering thru some of these storie's . Me and My Brother have a knowing Look , along with Code Word >> Jethro ! then the, all knowing nod as a reply . So Hope You Guy's Are readin this post . Trying Too get ya all up too Speed on Vw's . As For me I like Um all . Stangs , Too T- Buckets , F class Mercedes Too Subaru . Crosley too Nash . It's Great too be an American . Even if you, do Live in the Peoples Communist Republic of California, like me . Gotta be Better than Riding a Camel . As Too Sube's ! I Got a Buddy Work's for a Local Company that's Buildin These Sand Toy's With Subes , Tauras Even North star Motor's . Last Time I talked with Him they were Talkin Military Contract's ! Hmmm M-16 , and a Sand Toy in oil rich nation . Where do I sign up ? When I was young enough too join Military all they offerd was 20 mile marches in 118 deg heat and a Tent out in Fort Irwin in middle of a Sand Wash ? Go Figure ! Sean
Old 01-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

I saw one with a 500 Cadillac in it, but I wouldn't drive it on a bet.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Here's another rodded bug. I was parked next to this guy at Back to the Fifties a couple years ago.

how would i put the little rear 1/2 wheel cover things on it?

or wher can i get them?

wahts the offical name?
Old 01-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06
how would i put the little rear 1/2 wheel cover things on it?

or wher can i get them?

wahts the offical name?
Fender skirts...................Ahhhhhhhhh....the innocence of youth.......
Old 01-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Fender skirts...................Ahhhhhhhhh....the innocence of youth.......
haha

thank you

and if any of yall kno anythign about VW's

then pleseee reply to my VW AUTO STICK thread

or engines.. VW ENGINE

i'll try and get the links up in a min.

-Scott
Old 01-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

That's a cool pic of a chopped Vdub, cboy. I like the skirts too. It really gives it that art deco look. It actually has kind of a fast back look to it. I could see cutting off the front end and giveing it a slightly longer wheel base and some fat fenders up there. That would be an interesting rod. Hmmmm...
Old 01-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

alrighty

i'm really gunna need some help now..

i dug out the beetle (now i kno they are all 70's)

the beige one..

auto stick tranny..

and it caught on fire about 20 years ago..

.. so 2 s/p wires are fried (easy)

the condensor is/was gone (later found under the seat... next to the rust hole i didnt know was there

but i'm ordering an entire floor pan from JCW so it has the entire cars' floorpan

but the nextday i go up there... we got to figure out where the wires go.. b/c we have about 5 dead ends... so yeah..

if ANYONE has a wiring diagram.. PLEASEEE send it to me..

my owners workshop manual will be in next week.. so i need to try and get this thing running soon.. so by then i can work on everything else.. then back to the engine

-Cam
Old 01-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

I guess it's too late now, but it seems that everyone posting has forgotten that there's another choice: The 240 SX. Yeah, it's a Ricer, but it's a whole lot more car than a Mustang! (Unless, of course, you plan on restoring the Mustang and have dreams of picking up some big bucks from some collector. And you ARE dreaming!)

And, with the VW, there's always the option of sticking a FWD assembly into the rear and making a real Herbie out of it! (I've done the all-out VW bit and ended up disappointed. You just can't compete with...or even come close to...the specific output of a modern 4 valve DOHC four cylinder.)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.