Can VolksWagens be Hot Rodded? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShope
I guess it's too late now, but it seems that everyone posting has forgotten that there's another choice: The 240 SX. Yeah, it's a Ricer, but it's a whole lot more car than a Mustang! (Unless, of course, you plan on restoring the Mustang and have dreams of picking up some big bucks from some collector. And you ARE dreaming!)

And, with the VW, there's always the option of sticking a FWD assembly into the rear and making a real Herbie out of it! (I've done the all-out VW bit and ended up disappointed. You just can't compete with...or even come close to...the specific output of a modern 4 valve DOHC four cylinder.)
yeah

but the problem is hes selling it at work for 3800..

i forgot to tell yall that the other day...

but yeah

i'm at school doing some homework for my beetle.. i got to get the wireing diagrams...

so yeah

talk to yall later

-Cam

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 07:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Can Volkswagens be Hot Rodded

Arghhhhhhhhhh . Cant compete with the Ricer's ! <<< way Way WAY funny ! Im in So Cal . Yipp ! Im guessin nobody even read's my Post ? Im hurt even ! Wont even drive one with a 500 v8 Chevy ? Ouch ! Front wheel drive ? Arghhhhh ! Actually too go mid engine with a Bugg Transaxle you simply , swapp the ring gear too other side of the transaxle . << Now the motors in front and transaxle is in the Rear . << Pretty common in Sand rail's. Ok 1970 Auto Stick <<< Car's kinda Rare worth a Little with Auto stick . Guy's like um , cause there unique ! Not Good for Hott Roddin tho ! But it's ok Once you build that Hi Performance Bugg motor you needed too swapp the 2;77 IRS out too a 3;88 ring and Pinion transaxle any how . 1970 is good year for Hot Roddin 2 nd Year 12 volt IRS transaxle . It just so happen's my first Auto stick conversion was a 1970 . Yeah some Jethro had pounded House Hold Electrical Conduit pipe intoo the tunnel for a Clutch / aka Bodin tube . << Where clutch cable runns, down the tunnel . Arghhhhh ! Ya know were talkin German Enginneering here . Like H & K MP-5 , Walter P-38's , Mercedes Benz, Porsche . Some of the first Jett engines etc . Like I said in previous post . Bore Stroke of just about any Dimmension's, you want ! Only limitation is the Boxer motor configuration . Just think about it ? Bore and stroke chart . Hand it too Stephen Hawkin's <<< Ask him too think on it for a month ? Yeah ifn he wasnt, kinda busy trying too solve, the Theory of Every thing !!! E=mc2 << added that too make myself look more intelligent than I am ? So as too impress Ya All, too read my post ? Theory of Relativity Hmmm . Bugg's Haul --- ! In fact 500 cube v8's are redundant, as far as Vw's go ! Photographer ive posted a few post too get your attention . Mustang's Good choice But so is a Vw . Any gear head / AKA motor head Worth his spitt, should be up too speed on the dynamic's of a Boxer motor . I would think just out of Curiousity that V8 Fann's would look intoo what is being done with the Boxer 4 cylinder motor . Some of the most Brightest , innovative people too ever turn a wrench , are in the Vw circles . Now Vw's were not my first choice . My first car was a 66 Shelby . But after Badd Divorce it was sold too a relative etc . I needed somethin cheap too drive etc <<, Kinda how I got intoo them . That and Guy down the street was fast makin him self a house hold name in Vw raceing both off road , street and strip . Now I own 3 of them . Nothin better than Cruiseing PCH , or Route 66 in a Bugg . Cheap too register ! Cheap too insure ! Cheap on gas ! Low Profile ! Handle better than old Porsche ! Cutting edge of Raceing Technology ! Can Make one out runn a V8 on less gas ! Enviromentalist Chick's <<< Not too bright for the most part , usually well endowed , dig um ! Nothin like Bunch of Blonde surfer chick's yellin out I like your Bugg ! Yeah only real draw back too drivin a Bugg is No Ac ! That and Jethro's who look like there fresh out of the Movie Deliverance, chasin you down, and insisting on tellin you there Porsche motor/aka v8 in a Bugg Stories ! I Can Hook you up on the Vw thing . Im guessin Grandpa want's the Bugg ? Good choice for young man who is gonna pay out the nose for Insurance . But Beware Bugg's are not cheap and or Easy ! Some of guy's around here have over 10 - 15 k in just there motors . I Suggest first Build be a 1776cc Motor , and just Double the horse power from 53 horses too 95+ Horses . Fairly easy build and OEM reliability . Usually runn from around 2500 too 3500 buck's . But if you build it your self considerably cheaper . Ive done 2 Mustangs in my life coupla Mavericks , Rancheros 65 Vintage and can tell you ! Vw's are considerably more work and more money. 100 horses might not sound like a lott ! But consider this ? It's double the horses of stock, and it's everyday, 7 day's a week , 365 day's a year . More than enough motor too get away from you , and get you intoo trouble . Talk too me ! Get you pointed in right Direction . Go make a List of Vw's you have layin around . Post some pic's if able . Also where are you at in the World ? See ifn I know anybody doin Bugg's in your part of the World . DOHC Ricers <<< Dont make me Laugh ! Fastest 4 Cyl in the World is a Boxer motor . Guy's out of Paradise Calif ! 1000 Horses! Impressive too say the Least ! But I like Ricers too ! Ricer's where do you come up with this blank, front wheel drive ? <<< Must be a new version of the Porsche motor in a Bugg story I havent heard yett ? Way Funny funny ! P.S. Do I need too refer you over too the Water Pumper Bugg Guy's ? <<< Some serious car guy's doin H20 Volkswagens too , with some pretty impressive result's ! Sean
Old 01-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Violating consensual reality

Last journal entry: '64 hood
Last photo:

One other often forgotten thing here to remember is that you don't have to go fast to look cool.

Strummin
Old 01-16-2007, 10:02 AM

Can Volkswagens be Hot Rodded

Ohh that hurt's !!!!>>> Dont have too go fast too look Cool !<<< Never lett it be said I cant take what I dish out !>>>> Lotts of undistinguishable muttering of curse words ending in Jethro ! Way Funny ! Sean
Old 01-16-2007, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

Sean.
I made the previous statement intended to be taken ONLY as a consideration not to diminish what you or anyone else here has said. How's that?

Strummin
Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

yo yall just chill hahahaha

i'm just restoring this one.. with the autostick..

the hotrodded one will be one with the regular manual tanny

yeah.. so it'll be a few months before i can do the hot rod...

now i got to worry about re-wiring the rear end..

wwell i just got some dead ends i got to trace.. and reconnect

then empty the gastank

and i'm just gunna put more in it if its not too rusted..

i hope its not...

if it is.. =[ i'll have to buy another fuel tank.. another 100...

but its cool.. i hope not..but i wont find out today..

my dad is all pissed b/c my grandpa said that he dosent want my little

brother around when hes tryin to reconnect the engine and get it back

running...

and my dad said that when i go there dustin (brother) has to go..

well on the weekends.. hes usually at a friend's house.. so i'll go work on it

saturday and sunday...

so that delays my body work schedule until later next week.. and thats

when my manual comes in so i'll have something to go by for interior

restoration.. so yep yep i'm just delaying...

and to all the "old" folks .. .. i love double spacing lines.. and i realized after

reading Sean's post.. its VERY hard to read single spaced lines....when its

alot.. so yep yall are welcome!

-Cam
Old 01-16-2007, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

Cam.
We're here to help you if you have any questions. Double spacing doesn't bother me, promise.

Strummin
Old 01-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummin67
Cam.
We're here to help you if you have any questions. Double spacing doesn't bother me, promise.

Strummin
haha

alrighty

well i got my wiring diagrams finnaly..

it wouldnt fit to the page.. hahahha

and I'M supposed to be the computer expert

lol

not really

i can build them

and work on them...

but i like cars better

-Cam
Old 01-16-2007, 01:21 PM

Last photo:

Are you on a PC or a Mac? What I do on my PC is use the "paint" feature. If the image is too big I shrink it down to 70%. Then I can load the pic onto the post.

Strummin
Old 01-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummin67
Are you on a PC or a Mac? What I do on my PC is use the "paint" feature. If the image is too big I shrink it down to 70%. Then I can load the pic onto the post.

Strummin
haha
i'm on PC...

i built my computer..

so yeah..

i would use paint...

but i have Irfanview

and it will shrink it..

but it has a certain ratio of the page.. and instead of having it 8 1/2 by 11 inches or w/e its in CM.. so i was like .. ummm

huh?

we had conversions in Chemestry... but i forgot them

but i got it. then i ran outa paper..

lol
-Cam
Old 01-16-2007, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

Listen to me Cam, please listen to me. I'm a year older than you, and I used to be mixed up in VW's. There was one time when I knew them inside and out, because my dad and I built a VW dune buggy. I learned more and had more fun from building it than anything else in the world. But, 2 transmissions, 4 years, and $3500 later, I'll admit that the end result really wasn't worth it. Now I'm stuck with a nice looking useless dune buggy with a bad transmission that I can't even sell for almost half the money invested. Granted the thing is fun to ride in, but get 2 people side my side in there, and your just crammed.

I guess my overall point is to invest your money into Detroit muscle. You won't regret it.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE 68 GMC
Listen to me Cam, please listen to me. I'm a year older than you, and I used to be mixed up in VW's. There was one time when I knew them inside and out, because my dad and I built a VW dune buggy. I learned more and had more fun from building it than anything else in the world. But, 2 transmissions, 4 years, and $3500 later, I'll admit that the end result really wasn't worth it. Now I'm stuck with a nice looking useless dune buggy with a bad transmission that I can't even sell for almost half the money invested. Granted the thing is fun to ride in, but get 2 people side my side in there, and your just crammed.

I guess my overall point is to invest your money into Detroit muscle. You won't regret it.
its too late

all my deals are gone

so after i restore this one

and the next one.. i restore

will be sold to buy a little project piece of detroit

hahaha

but my grandpa used to be a VW mechanic and had a garage...

so he can help me

=D
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 PM

Can Volkswagens be Hot rodded

Yeah My Lil brother stopped by today ! Thought came too mind . Just how fast doe's a Badd Bugg gotta be ? So I asked Mr. Scatty Boo / AKA Lil brother . What he thought about how fast a Badd Bugg has too Be ? He stammerd , Ponderd a Minute ! Then Replied >> Just fast enough , too paint it , Tomato Red , and Etch in glass, the statement > Wow I just had a V8 in rear window !!! Then, he added >> Anything faster would just be Redundant ! Ha , Ha , Ha , Haa , Chuckle , chuckle , Snort , snort , as in laughin so hard im a Cryuin ? Hey strummin Im just teasin, and makin fun . Nothin personal . Yeah I know this is a Hot Rodder's Forum . But I couldnt resist . I do agree, in the past, pretty hard too get a return on Vw's on Resale . But on that note ? Every time gas goe's up here in So Cal I get approached like 10 times . Admittedly , most dont speak good English . Think there gonna buy ole Blue for 7 or 800 buck's ? But then last 10 Year's Popularity has increased , considerable . Least ever since folk's, been turnin out, 11 and 12 sec car's, that there drivin too work daily. Also once again, like too point out here 3/4's ,Bugg's reborn again, are reborn again wrong! Photograph06, you need too talk, with some one that's, doin these car's . There are Lott's, of Volkswagen project's, abandoned , sittin in peoples back yard's . Due primarily, cause blank load's of money, were spent on um . Then went Scatty Boo first or 2nd week out . Lott's of Junk part's sold for these car's as being the Stuff . When it's junk ! Lott's of Badd Combo's , just didnt work out ! That and rebuildin one, out of Hayne's manual ? Just isnt how it's done ! For example . I dont, generally build 1641cc, or 1835cc motors . I prefer 1600cc ,and 1776cc . Due too fact that 87mm barrel's are thinn and tend too warp and distort . Same deal , with 92mm barrel's. 85.5 and 90.5 runn considerably cooler and dissipitate heat better . But people sell 92mm barrels and 87 mm barrel's like there the stuff . Some application's >. Air planes , Sand rail's Maybe But not in a Car. Thing's Like Chrome , engine tinn ? I dont use it unless a open air motor then only in right places . Best too runn Flat black Krylon painted OEM tinn in most application's . << Dissipitate heat faster and better . Lott's of fancy, big after market, Full flow, Taiwaneese oil pump's on market . << Gauranteed Big time trouble there ! Another example is OEM German fly wheel's . Brazillian fly wheel's is about all that's left, being sold . There Soft dont make Good Hi performance motor's . Especially, if runnin counter weighted crank's, and or strokers, where lightening Fly wheel's is an option ? Either German OEM, or aftermarket Fly wheel's ! If aftermarket is choice ? then wich One ? It matters ! Same deal as 94mm Piston's and Juggs . Good brand ? And theres a not so Good, of a brand ? I urge you , too talk too some one , who is knowledgeable . Or several people that are knowledgeable . Definately the difference, atween being in the Luv Bugg Clubb, and being in Jethro's Bugg's Suck Club ! Even so called proffessionally built , motor's ? << Only if, it comes from reputable, people who been in Bussiness for year's ! Hopefully of World, wide Fame and or at least ? Local raceing fame ! Doesnt cost anymore money, too have well known , house hold name , build your bugg . Than too have Jethro build it , 5 times, and still not get it right ! Im still crackin up ! >. Just fast enough too paint it bright Tomatoe Red , and Etch >> Wow I just had a v8 in rear window glass ! Because anything faster , would just be redundant ! <<, That's Funny Ha,Ha Hillarious . I remember that car . Few year's back was in Hot Vw's Magazine . Chuckle , Chuckle , Snort , snort ! Mr. Scatty Boo is funny , funny , funny character ! 90 MPH forced down shift's, intoo 3rd ? Kite string run too throttle, thru rear, pop out window, tied too steerin wheel ? Smoke plume's, that can be seen for 50+ mile's, with CHP plane's circlin over head ? My lil brother's a riot, non stop jokester, of all time ! Sean
Old 01-17-2007, 05:12 AM
Army Strong

Last photo:

alright i guess none of yall read my posts...

I'M FREEKIN RESTORING ONE BEETLE (THIS ONE) ...EXTREMELY STOCK.

okay

now we got that..

i wont be doing any customizing or selling until i finish this one...

-Cam
Old 01-17-2007, 09:06 AM

Can Volkswagens be Hot Rodded.

Ok Photo . I looked at what you have . Lott's of Rust ? Got a pressure washer ? <<< Best way too remove, old Under coating . From what I can see of Motor in white one, It's a Dual port head motor . Thats Good . Only real other Cookie I see here is the Vented Deck lidd . <<< More air alway's Good . Should have , a pann on under side of the deck lidd for a rain catcher . with tubes . <<, Definately Gonna want that ! With all the Rust I see ? It's just a given that the Pann's are rusted thru . Dont stress it ! Typical Bugg ! Pann replacement's are availiable . Now It's also my Understanding this is an Auto Stick ? I no very Little about the Auto stick except that there Notoriously Unreliable . Unless Your an Auto Stick Guy, who know's there in,s and out's . I dont reccomend them . As Much Rust as I see here Probably start with a Can of WD-40 <<< All Pann Bolts, Fender Bolt's , Etc. These car's are definately off the Pann restoration's . You get too town ? You get your self some Particles mask . << Lott's of them ! Good medium too small, pocket knife ! Gonna need it ! Save every bolt , every part in Coffee cann's . Get 4 tires that are fresh and hold air . << Dont wanna be fighting loww tire thru it all . Do'es motor turn over by hand ? Look under drivers side of the car at Bottom of the engine , for 2 Big capp screw's . << determine if this is a Dual releif case Motor . Other thing too look at here . In back of Fann shroud on Driver's side . Is fann shroud smooth and flat ? or does it have a box form stickin out the back . Reason here is try too determine if it's a Dog house Cooler , or old style horozontal oil cooler ? Dog House is Preferd . Do not Lose or destroy any Engine Tinn . Reason Dog house is preferd > theres a fann inside the fann shroud it blow's air thru the oil cooler then down on too the cylinders . Now oil cooler work's like a Conventional car radiator . Only it Cool's oil instead . Horozontal cooler's << Inside fann shroud , would get hott then air goin too driver's side Cylinders would first pass thru the Hot oil cooler , pre heating the air , then over the top of the cylinders . Result was that front drivers side Cylinder Number 3 would runn hotter . Resulting in a number 3 cylinder failure . In 1972 this was remedied with off setting the oil cooler inside fann shroud . <<, Dog house Cooler ! If It is of the Horozontal Old style Cooler , then it's barely good enough too runn stock only . But theres a trick too runnin them Also . <, Another day ! >> Jacking ! Only jack your Vw up in Center front Beam , and or the Jacking Lugg's on both sides of the Car <<, Attached too where the OEM Jack Goes . I use 2 by 4 Block on Floor jack . Watch that doesnt bend the Luggs . <<, Do'es this? Push the Jack further in on the jacking Lugg . Gonna need two good Floor jack's and Jack stand's . 1 for each side ! Motor , Removal 101 ! > I Do not pull motors Turn key or install turn key motors Unless there in open end Car's /AKA Baja bugg's or Sand rail's etc. Lott's Of Knott heads do this ? << Bend's Engine Tinn and Engine Compartment Metal , and tear's engine compartment rubber , At very least it scratches the Paint ! <<, work on your car like it has a 6,000 dollar paint job . So as too develope the skill's needed , for the day , it has a 6000 dollar paint job . Too remove engine >> remove deck lidd via 2 screws each side , Slide deck lidd back, and up, too remove Spring pressure . <<< I do this , with out scratchin the paint ! Yeah Im Good ! Good hand's ! There's an art too it ! It can be done ! Do not try too remove Spring ! Pull deck lidd off , leaveing the Deck lidd hinge bracket's . Remove Brackets Via 3 Screw's . Be extremely carefull with back screw . << once stripped out it's a Major too fix it ! Should be the Bracket , the U shaped bracket slider and the Bolt bar . << Can these part's, markin what side was on what side ! Now , Remove Altenator/ Generator Clamp . Remove 3 Wires connected too Generator <<< Holding the Wire as a Back up wrench . << Failure too hold the wire as a Back up wrench , will result in turning the post inside the Generator Houseing , breaking or grounding the wire out ! Note that one Post the 8 mm Nut comes off has a 0 Shaped wire end , While other post You can only Losin the Nut <, Has a U shaped wire end . Do not try too remove this Nut all the Way << Not suppose too come off and it is designed so that you can remember , Where the Wires Attach ! BEWARE ! Bosch Generators are 200 Buck's . Dont twist or turn the Post inside Generator Houseing ! 3rd Wire is a screw ,>> Brown Wire is the Grnd ! 13/16ths Socket too remove Pulley and Belt Hold it in Pulley slott with Screw Driver . Should be 7 Too 10 Shimm's and Bell and a Nut ! Can um ! Remove Carb Wires and Carb ! On Carb's realize that the 2 Studs that nut's are on Go intoo Soft Carb only about 3.5 Turns . These threads are soft on Solex / Bocar Carb's . << never over tighten , Pull's Studd's out of there thread's ! Now look at the Coil . Wire commin from the car Via the upper drivers side corner of the engine compartment commin from inside the car , Should be your Hot wire, connected too + side or terminal of the Coil . << tape this wire so you know , it's the Hot + . Remove wires from Coil . Save spark plug wire's ! If you car has a thermostat << remove wire from Thermostat . << Steel wire under neath Disconnect it . On thermostat's <<, Be aware we cant hardly gett them any more ? Used or new ones << Use care ! There needed for Good reliable Bugg's ! Dont lett no one tell you there not needed as well as the Flapp's inside the Fann Shroud . Anyone saying there Not needed ? Doesnt know there Back side from a hole in the Ground ! << This include's Hot Vw's Magazine article I read ! those of us in the Know , know better ! << More on this later ! Ok in front of Fann shroud << Fire wall side if it's a Dog house cooler there will be a triangular shape peice of tinn << has 10 mm Nut on a Stud holding it on , Remove Nut and triangular tinn . If not Dog house ? Disregard ! On both end's of Fann shroud will be 2 Bolts 10 mm or screw's Remove them . Pull fann shroud off Up tilting drivers side upp at an angle . Theres the Motor Remove both Front and rear Engine Tinn . Theres the Top mounting Bolt,s, nut's . Motor is held in by 3 nut's and 1 bolt . <<< This Bolt is special as well as the alignment Bushing pressed intoo the case that it screw's intoo . Do not lose it ! Cant get um . Usuall here is some sorta Mickey mouse bolt is used once lost . Jack Car up Both sides evenly . Support on Jack stand's . Place jack under oil plate and support Motor Remove Bottom 2 Mounting nut's 17mm , Then Top Drivers side mounting bolt , then starter nut mounting bolt . Pull Motor Back . Drop slowly ontoo Jack . <<< Here you wanna be Carefull . It's Tight ! Idea being you Dont dropp weight of the motor on the Transaxle Shaft . << Bent shaft's are Common . Go slow and Carefull . Lett motor down on jack resting , then lift car up as high as you can get it . Pull motor back Until it reaches the Oil Cooler <<, Probably wont clear rear apron on the Body ? 2 People on each side we Generally Tilt the motor Forward on the Jack so that the oil Cooler, will clear the rear apron on the Body . Note once again . Oil cooler's require care <<<Dont push and shove and get intoo habit of using the oil Cooler too Handle the Motor . Old Horozontal oil cooler's are no longer Availiable New . Dont Bend , Fold , Spindle , Or Mutilate oil Coolers there expensive ! Any Question's Post again . Hope fully I coverd every thing ? But if not ? You look , make sure I didnt forget nothin ! Might be Good Idea too Try and start your Motor before you Pull it ? See if it Runn's . Might Runn ? Post again ! Sean

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.