Can VolksWagens be Hot Rodded? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I am not even going to attempt to read that mess................and doubt if anyone else will either

Advertisement

Budget RVs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 10:34 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Sean, every time you change the subject a bit how about a double space? Everything you've typed is all run together, which makes it hard to read. If you just stick a double space at every <<< or << it will be much easier! Much more than 5-6 lines without a space is just hard to read.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:52 PM
learning

Wiki Edits: 0

i got about half way and then realized i didnt need to konw how to fix a bug...
Old 01-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Violating consensual reality

Last journal entry: '64 hood
Last photo:

Look at as 100 different thoughts all rolled into one paragraph.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06
alright i guess none of yall read my posts...

I'M FREEKIN RESTORING ONE BEETLE (THIS ONE) ...EXTREMELY STOCK.

okay

now we got that..

i wont be doing any customizing or selling until i finish this one...

-Cam

Sorry bout the rudeness..

its just that.. i post " i'm just goin stock for now.. it'll be a couple of months before i customize anything....

and my dad read the post..

and got mad.. =|
Old 01-19-2007, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

Restoring a Beetle bug back to bone stock??? Thats a waste of money and time IMO. When you get done you'll have a slow car thats ugly, small, essentially useless, and won't spin much rubber, BORING. Go find a Mustang or Camaro or old truck to resotore and sell the Bug.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

But it will dependably get you anywhere you want to go, never leak water, get half-decent gas mileage, run seemingly forever, and, if worse comes to worse, most anything that does go wrong can be fixed easily on the side of the road.

All you gotta do is don't lug the engine, and change the oil & set the valves every 2,000 miles.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

well i want a good project to do..

and bone stock.. not really..

i mean new radio.. a few perfomance parts.. no EXTREME CUSTOMIZATIONS.....

no wheels.. no lowering.

so i mean it'll be restored.. but not bone stock..

the next one will be almost nothing stock... new wheels, lowered, seats new.. everything
Old 01-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Violating consensual reality

Last journal entry: '64 hood
Last photo:

Definitely keep us posted on your progress.

Strummin
Old 01-21-2007, 07:36 AM
Army Strong

Last photo:

iight PROGRESS REPORT

yesterday (JAN 20) i cleaned the entire car out.. took everything out and discovered a good bit of rust in the little area behind the seat... (idk what its called)... we got out the big ol shop vac and got everything bone dry and clear of any loose rust.Today my grandfather is going to try and rememer some of his VW experiecne along with a wiring diagram to get it back to running condtion while i prepare to sand.If i can get to hartsville (small city near where i live) and get to Advance Auto.. i'll pick up some about 80 grit sheets and knock of a little rust but nothing big yet. I plan if the engine is ready to go, clean out the gas tank and flush the lines...I'll post the pictures tonight of the rear compartmet rust. But now i got to go to Church.

-Cam
Old 01-21-2007, 09:12 AM

Can Volkswagen's be HotRodded?

Yeah , Sorry about my Typeing Skill's .

Nothin wrong with stock bugg . I runn a 69 Daily driver, OEM Stock 1600 Single port , Built on a Dual releif case .

I Pull Cajon Pass in it regularly . Was Quite suprised that with 3 Adult's in it I out rann My Dad's old Nissan Pick up z-24 Motor . Commin up Cajon .

But I do prefer Badd Bugg's . They are funn . Even If nobody laughed at my Brother's joke ? >. Tomater Red and Etch >. Wow I just had a v8in back window glass. Cause anything faster is just sorta redundant . <, That was Funny, Ha, Ha, Funny !

Like I said Im Fixin too start another , 69 Baja . Motor's Sittin on Engine stand . Mild Performance 1776 Motor . The Car , needs a Body off the pann restoration . I will get my Digital camera goin, try too post few pic's in here .

Now as too wireing . I can Almost rewire a 69 or 70 from memory . But here's a Tipp . Vw wireing, is referd too as the Spaghetti System . << No joke what we V- Dubbers refer too it as . So what your lookin at ? Probably isnt as badd as you think it is ! I strongly suggest , that you restore the OEM Loom that is in it . Most Folk's gett frustrated , decide in there frustration . That need's a new loom . In most cases , this is unneccessary . Not too mention most dont gett the Loom Runn right .

I use Haynes manual . Has wireing Schematic in the back page's . That and I have 1.50 Magnifying Reading Glasses . These really help too read the Schematic Diaghram's . Can see where the wire's runn , with good pair of reading glasses on . Beat's a plastic ruler . But be aware On Vw schematic's . They dont show, the progressive ground part of the Harness. When you get there . I can tell you how too Runn it , from memory .

Generally It's Brown wireing loom . Connect's All Switches, gauges, electronic's , together in progression, too body ground's . << Schematic doesnt show this part of the loom . Least not one's I have !

Now as Too Rust . I take it , you mean your gonna , cut all the cancer out of the Floor Board ? yeah Im Psychic ! Another Common Restoration mistake , is generally made, on Pann replacement's .

Quite commonly , people will opt too replace , whole sides of there pann's . In most cases it is Unneccessary , too replace whole Pann Sides . I prefer too patch pann's , rather than replace whole Pann side's . I like too keep as much OEM material as Possible . Replacement's Come in Varied degrees of Qaulity, Fitt , and form. If your pann hasnt , cancerd out around Pann too Body bolt's ? I suggest patching when ever Possible . Vs Whole Pann Replacement .

Battery Boxes , generally need a patch and or Pann replacement . If patching ? requires few Knowledgeable tipp's . I Also do a Modification too , Panns . Particularly the Battery Box . By Adding a Drain , under the Battery . << Stick water , hose in it , from time too time !

Now as Too your Granpa . Dont know How long , it's been since he was doin Bugg's . But thing's are Done considerably Different . Than the way OEM Buggs were done at the Factory's . Even Stock Bugg's ? Might wanna Get up too speed , on way thing's are being Done , these day's ?

Any , question's and or just want an opinion on part's is part's. I would be Gladd too help you out . Or point you in right Direction . Do you have a West Coast Metric catalog ? << There free . Great for Seeing what year part's, are compatible with what year's . Kinda of a Comparison chart for Part's . Not too mention great place too get Restoration Part's . Sean
Old 01-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

end of day progress report..

we decided not to fool with the engine just yet. we are getting prepared to

sand because we CAN get the engine fixed.. and we have another engine

almost readily to go in if that one is messed up.. so i was kinda scoping out

the things needed to be done before sanding.. and i bout some 60 grit today

to do some hard stuff. I saw Bondo today for 14.26... Wally World.. Gallon

can.Now i've got a good idea on everything.. we tried to get some random

tools i had from yesterday from under the hood.. we couldnt get the hood

open w/o 2 ppl. so we had to adjust the spring on the locking mechanism.

Today was a slow and cold,rainy day down here in SC. So i cant wait to get

started on workin on it.. and sanding it..

-Cam
Old 01-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

whats the panel over the engine called.. like behind the rear seat in a VW?

and i've decided taht on the smaller places of rust.. i'm just welding plates in..

and welding them in is alot cheeper than buying pans you dont know the quality of.. i know the quality of 1/8th inch thick sheet metal..

hehe

yeah but i'm not welding it.. i could.. but i dont have the welder.. my OTHER Grandpa does..

lol

well wahts the pan called?

-Cam
Old 01-22-2007, 09:07 AM

Can A volkswagen be Hot Rodded

Yeah we just call it the Fire wall around here . Stay with same gauge metal , on Patchin .

Im takin it that , behind rear seat , it cancerd out ?
Did it go over too the Corner ? As in is it Cancerd over too the Corner Seam ?

Realize that Vw body's are spott welded panel's . Vw's typically suffer either Front end crunch , or Rear Body Crunch . Any bumper benders accident can produce , Seam exposure .

This typically results in Spot weld's being exposed , along seam's . Leads too Cancer , Along the Seam's and in the Corner's .

I usually use a wire Brush on end of 4 inch Angle Grinder . Dont be stupid ! Use Eye protection . Along with a Particles Mask . Keep eye protection Pushed Tight too your Nose , Or Actuall Goggles ! Even with eye protection ? Ive been put too the E.R. <<<< You dont wanna have this happen too you .

35+ Year's of Car's ! It happen's ! Every time it Happen's too me ! I Flip , flop between , Suicide and Murder ! It Suck's that badd ! Nothin worse than , Somethin in your Eye ! That's Commin from a Old man who has Broke more Bone's than Evil Knevil ! Kidd you not ! Wear Good Qaulity Eye Protection !!!! Can tell you most of my eye Mishapp's . Happend when I was , Wire wheelin , or Grindin on my Back .

Wear particles mask !! This is Kinda Stuff ! That once it happen's too you ! No taking it back ! In hale Asbestos ? <, Done deal , Glass or steel ' or other in your Eye ? << Done deal. <<, I can not stress , Eye protection enough ! Ive Sufferd havin 1/2 of what I sit on almost cut off ?? Yeah wasnt as Badd as havin Steel in my Eye ! Eye Protection is not Perfect ! Be carefull ! You been Told ! Heed the Warnin !

Now I buy Wire wheel's for my Drill at Harbour Freight . << Cheap qaulity But do the Job . For Angle Grinder , Buy a Qaulity Wire wheel , at Hard Ware store . I Alternate , Between a Drill and a Angle grinder . So as not too Burn either one of them out . They gett Hot ! Hot enough too melt Solder off , the Armature . So also, Use a pocket knife . <, Alternateing between all 3. So as too allow Drill , and or Angle grinders too Cool down .

In Corner Seam's Bugg's have Body putty , and or Body Silicone, beads . You dont wanna remove this Unless the Cancer or Rust , has Contaminated it . Just go over it with Drill , wire brush . Get topp paint lose stuff off of it . If you , have too remove the Putty / Body silicone . You must treat and re- seal it with Putyy / Silicone . Other wise , spot weld's will Cancer out .

As too the Patch ? I would use a Donor bugg for this . But I wouldnt Cadavier A viable Car too do it . Theres plenty of Donor Bugg's in the World , too Scavenge , part's of of !

If not . A cheap Taiwanneeese panel Replacement . Then custom Cut it , and Hand fitt it , for Patch . Tight seam's ! Any gapp's , will cause Weld in problems and No over lapping . Over lapping , a Seam will only lead too Cancer in long runn . Generally Speaking .

As too Replacement panel's . Go intoo www.westcoastmetric.com <<, Get there Catalog . This Catalog is a Must . I use it too Identify part's and too see what part's are interchangeable between the year's make's and Model's .

Wow South Carolina ?? East Coast ? Turtles on Myrtle beach . In Bikini's ? Ha Ha Ha . Theres a Vw Shop out East . Vic's Vw i think it's Called ? << These folk's Got it goin on in the Vw's . I will work on gettin an Url for there Site, for you . Have too Hunt it down .

I think Midd America motor work's >> www.mamotorworks.com << Free part's catalog out of Illinois . 1-800-500-1500 Can call them order free catalog .

Vic's is Cool Site . Has How too articles etc . Tell's you what work's ? What doesnt Work ! There's A lott of Junk part's and Advice in the Vw World . Luckily for You ? Im here Yeah debatable as too a Good thing or a Badd thing For sure ? But I do know few Folk's , that Got it Goin on with Vw's . Coupla Guy's around here , have had car's in Hot Vw's Magazines ? Im just not one of them

Yeah But im Cheap ! I Stated you almost had too be from So Cal too runn a Bugg Succesfully ? <<< Almost being Key word ! Bugg's are World wide . More Bugg's sold than all the American Car Mfg put together .

Will be a week or two , Afore I start this 69 Baja . Will post some Pic's , of My Digg's . You realize that the Body on your Bugg Comes off ?

Componants are>> Engine , Transaxle , Tube front end , Body , Pann << Major Componant's . Will fitt in the Back end of a Ford Truck . Usual is too Restore the Pann . Then Body . Best too paint the Body off the Pann . But a Mock up is preferd !

Generally Speaking Gett Body work done , Gett Car Runnin . Fix Door's Miscellaneous . Then popp Body off for Paint . Meaning mock up a Viable car . Then Paint Last . Other wise you runn intoo Complication's ! Example >> Doors << I painted it . But Hinge pinns are badd . So Door rubbs the bottom of Door Jamm . Rubbed all paint off ? Now you have a Freshly painted Car . But Door jamm's Rubbed all the Paint off, the Jamm ?

Sean
Old 01-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

we have 3 harbor freights in SC i think..

one in columbia, one in dillon and idk where the other is.. i think greenville..

but yeah i love goin to see the "turtles" on the beach

hahahaha

thanks for the info

-Cam

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.