Can VolksWagens be Hot Rodded? - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

i just remembered that my grandpa sold his 1st cousin

(lives 100 yards away from him)

a 1964 a long time ago.. i need to see if he has it

it would be cool to have too

but i wonder if he has any thing laying round

if not i can go to a little junkyard up the road and see. thats where i need to get a job.. a local car shop.. i wonder if tommy's automoive would let me hang round to learn

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 09:35 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I know the military isn't the first choice for most of you guys, but you might want to talk to a recruiter. As a mechanic you won't be seeing front line service, and you'll get to work on lots of heavy equipment. In the Army it could be tanks and other combat vehicles, and there's always the chance you could get assigned to a combat recovery team though. Even tanks and other combat vehicles use technology similar to other heavy equipment -- with the exception of the M-1 Abrams (it uses a turbine -- a jet engine). But there are always the other services, where you are much less likely to get assigned to direct combat. That doesn't mean you wouldn't be somewhere you might get shot at, just that the probability/risk is low.

I'm in engineering (basically building and airfield maintenance) and spent the summer in Afghanistan. The USAF (my branch) had mechanics there to service construction and general transportation equipment. We all stayed on the base in a secure area all the time. There were random rocket attacks about once a week (2-3 rockets per attack), but the chances of getting injured by one was slim. we had about 15-20 people get injured over the four months I was there, and then just because they got lucky and hit a chow hall one night (6-7 injured). Usually it was just one or two with minor injuries, only half had to be transported out to a real hospital (we had an emergency clinic on the base for emergency room type work and treatment of minor things that come up on a daily basis). There is always some risk in the military, but I'm more likely to get injured in a car wreck going back and forth to work than hit by one of those rockets. Only three people from my unit were unlucky enough to be close enough to be injured in a rocket attack.

The upside is you get sent to a top rate tech school then get to work with experienced mechanics and sent for more training in some circumstances. Get out in four years and you're an experienced heavy equipment mechanic, you don't just have a degree/certificate, you have the experience to go with it. You can take college courses part time while there and the gov't will pay for it, and there are savings programs that will get you $2 or more for every $1 you save yourself to finish college after. You also get college credit for the tech training you get in the USAF. It's easy to get a 2 year degree in your career field before you leave with a combination of the tech credits you get, part time course, and CLEP tesets (take test, get credits).

Not for everyone, but worth considering. Where else can you get paid to go to school and have a guaranteed job when you finish training?
Old 01-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Can Volkswagens be Hot Rodded

Get Um too , Throw in a 75k mid Engine 450 Horse Sand Rail . One of them fancy Turret mounted Gatlin Gunn's ? And all the free Gas or fuel you can Burn !
Rumour'ed that, a Sand Toy company is talkin Military Contract's ?
Wonderin if You Saw any Sand Toy's over there ?
Sean
Old 01-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

i really want to enter the USMC

but idk yet

i sitll got 4 years.. because i feel like by then there will be a draft.. because this stuff wont end soon.. and if ther is a draft. and i'm not drafted i'll enter myself.. i really want to become a sniper which would be cool but idk .. i could go to mechanics school because they pay for college..

and be a mechanic afterwards

-cam
Old 01-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Violating consensual reality

Last journal entry: '64 hood
Last photo:

I don't know if Sniper is a good thing to put on your resume. Unless you're trying to get into the mob.
Man I hope they don't reinstate the draft.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

haha
well true

but my parents run a bar.. and this guy owns a bodyshop, car lot and a mechanics garage.. so its a mini used car dealershop.. and i want to work there.. and my parents see the man that owns it some time .. maybe he can hook me up and let me work on my car on the side .. and start working early at 14 =D
Old 01-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Violating consensual reality

Last journal entry: '64 hood
Last photo:

Yeah. That would be a good setup. Do you still need to be 15-1/2 to get a work permit?

Strummin
Old 01-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummin67
Yeah. That would be a good setup. Do you still need to be 15-1/2 to get a work permit?

Strummin
i dont really know..

my best friend's dad owns a big furnature store here.. and he said that you have to be 15 to work there unless your family
Old 01-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Check the water, check the oil

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummin67

Strummin
Yes, you do. Plus, with mechanic's shops, there's a lot of liability, which is why you usually need to have an ASE. There are some shops that will train you for your license though, which is really cool. =D
Old 01-25-2007, 03:51 PM
User

Last photo:

There won't ever be a draft again, its political suicide either way. If you vote for it, and it fails, you'd never get re-elected, and even if it does go through, then you won't be re-elected.

My dad was in the Tankers in the USMC, pretty sure he got alot of heavy equipment knowledge out of it. But still, I'd go to a tech school before joining up to fight some random war in the desert.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:18 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Stanger
Yes, you do. Plus, with mechanic's shops, there's a lot of liability, which is why you usually need to have an ASE. There are some shops that will train you for your license though, which is really cool. =D
i wouldnt do like real work just a helping hand for a paycheck.. or just free use of the shop..

but idk my dad used to work at the only gasstation in town and change oil fill gas.. change tires and what not..

and my dad is bout to open a detail shop for waxes, washes, tints, sound i belive .. oil changes.. and routine checks.. and the place is directly across from NAPA so we could get parts from there or refer them to get specfic parts from there

=D
Old 01-26-2007, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

It kinda looks like this thread has been HIJacked a bit....LOL Just in case you want it back on track here's a link that might inspire doubters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwD_sufql8
Old 01-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

hahah yeah i guess

lol

i need a way to learn faster and hands on..

but i'll be december before i'm 15 1/2

so idk what to do

-cam
Old 01-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

okay i am reall pissed at my dad because back in 88 when it caught on fire.. he took off the starter.. but i knew it worked b/c i got a free diagnosis today =D..

but i still got some wireing to do.. but i think i got it figured out..

now my grandpa said the autostick wont hold up with the vaccum boots..

so i'm prolly puttin in a 4 spd

and the engine will have to be rebuilt so after i get this one strictly running ..

then i'm going to start rebuilding the next engine and hopefully get about 100 - 150 HP out of performace parts
Old 01-29-2007, 07:28 AM

Can Volkswagen's be Hot Rodded

Well I havent forgotton ya ?

You need too do the Search . For a 3.88 Ring and pinion solid houseing 4 Speed or Even the 2.77 older style 4 speed will work .

Some guy's even Runn Vw Bus tranny's . Heavier duty ! 2 types are a Flat top , and a Pyramid bus tranny's in IRS

Any of the 4 mentioned above will work !

Gonna need a stripper Car , and or a Clutch tube and a shifter Rod . Like I said in other post . The replacement Shifter Rod's were gettin here are Brazillian . <, requires extensive fabrication too extend it and make it work !

I Prefer stock OEM German Shift Rodd ?

As of now I still havent Got my Camera Goin ! 600 Dollar Camera <, Sittin on my desk collectin Dirt ? Go Figure !

But I will get it goin . I have some pic's on a Card from, the last Tunnel Rebuild I did .

But I have another Problem ? Seem's I can not figure out how too post a new thread in here ? Some body posted a how too Pic . said click on, new thread .

But I see nothin on my screen , Say's new Thread ? I have new post ! << But Hittin New post just throw's me in too today's post ?

But as soon as I get it figured out . I will post pic's of last tunnel job I did .

Now as too having too rebuild your Tunnel . Due too being an Auto Stick .
Dont be Bummed out , about this > Truth is , if your car had a 4 speed transaxle in it .

You'd Probably be rebuildin the Tunnel any how ? <<, Typicall Vw Woe's !
What happen's is tack weld's come lose in side the tunnel . Then it allow's for the Clutch tube too flex . This causes the Throw out bearing , too not be thrown far enough too disengage clutch .

Other thing's are the splitting of the end of the Clutch tube . << Cable will dragg in the Worn slott . <<< Meaning you need a clutch tube in Good shape ! No splitt end on the end of the tube .

Lott of Guy's runn around Changeing Clutche's 1 or twice a year . Rebuildin there Pedal Assembly's every 6 Mos. Dont realize that , there Tube is Lose or worn out . <<, What's causeing the Problem !

As too Vw's in general . << Most badd bugg's are putt together with a Combination of Different year Buggy part's . <, Mean's you take the best year's of Vw's Putt them together intoo 1 Car .

Example > Baja Bugg's << Best Combo is IRS Transaxle , Came out in 69 . But You want the older Link Pinn Front end off a Pre 66 Bugg .
In 66 Bugg's went too Ball joint << Not as Good as Link pinn, for off roading !

So best Combo in Baja Bugg is a 69 and up. IRS Transmission and Axles . With a Pre 66 Link pinn front end . <<, Conversion kitt's are sold too inter change these different year part's intoo any year Car ! << see what I mean ?

If you want a state of the art Bugg ? Plan on Mixin and matchin a lott of different year part's intoo 1 Car .

Who know's ? Might even throw some Chevy part's intoo the Mix ? << I wont tell if you Dont tell ? But yeah We Vw guy's arent proud ? We use anything that work's . Even Chevy part's ! Ford Solenoids, Chevy Journal's Etc.

As too your present starter Problem ? Dont gett Madd . Ive had my car apart and back together least 100 time's . I still havent gotten as far as paintin it .

Plann is when I have all 4 Car's ready for paint ? Were gonna do all 4 at same time . I have 3 of my own and 1 of my Buddie's I built . My 73 is ready for paint . My other 1 Almost ready for Paint . 1 Needs assembly and body work . Then my Buddies need's door work , Pann work , then he is ready for Paint .

As too the Lenght of this thread ? 12 Pages or so ? Im thinkin it would be less Confuseing too Start a New thread under Volkswagen << or somethin similar ? If that's ok with the rest of ya .

Im usually Doin Mach 1 when I come in here . Lunch break , Early Mornin's . Kidd's Runnin thru the House , Knockin Holes in the Wall , Shootin BB gun's at each other ? Caught one Lickin the Tv screen other day ? << still not sure what's up with that ? Not reall sure I wanna know what's up with that ?

But anything too keep it Quick, easy, and simple . Would help me ! Im usually Multi tasking , multiple beating's of the Unruly children, around here . While trying too answer Post !

Also while im thinkin on it. Be aware , on Vw starters that there is a Starter shaft Bushing . Located in the Transaxle . 2 Basic Sizes Big one and Lil one . For 6 Volt starters and 12 Volt starters .

There 2 Buck's for the Bushing . Motor has too be removed too change them . But simply Tapp in and Tapp out . If your Bushing is Badd it will dragg your Starter down .The end of the Shaft from the Starter Ride's in the, Bushing, and is located in the starter shaft hole , inside the transaxle .

Worn Bushing .>>> Starter go's **** eyed when Bendix throw's the Starter gear forward too turn the motor over , and Bind's, the starter Armature . Same reason you cant test a Vw Starter by Hookin Jumper cables , Too it off a Battery . << No Guide Bushing on the end of the Starter Shaft too hold Starter shaft and Armature Straight . Bind's the starter armature inside the starter .

Sean

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.