Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - can the wrong oil pan make this sbc leak?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 06:33 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
have a steel 1 polished then treat it with some krylon clear spray ( dosn't change chrome effect like clear coat does ). last forever. the Chrome pans have problems sealing and problems with rusting because the chrome can seal it in, when/ if some gets in between the layers, and they have been known too, not the first time I'v heard not to use 1. I wanted 1 a couple years ago for a 267 V8 ( was going to put in a '83 MB 240D, got smart and didn't waste my time ) and when I went to napa and asked 1 of the guys that I know for 1, and he told me that they had them but he wouldn't sell me 1, knowing they were junk and don't last long, so I left happy that I wasn't getting ripped off at least, and figured the stock pan would look great chevy orange like the rest of the engine.
I see, sounds like a good enough reason. My pan has seen its better days but is still solid. Its steel and painted the same color as the rest of the motor. Rust isn't as bad here in Florida, but I have to drop the cradle and back half of the suspension to change the oil pan. Not something I would want to do too often.