Hot Rod Forum banner

Can you burn used oil in a wood stove ?

23K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  knighthawk 
#1 ·
I was reading somewhere here about banned lites, used oil and stuff......, brings up a new area to consider..... how to burn used motor oil in my wood stove ???? Off the top of my head, I think all I would need is filter to keep it from plugging up, and drip pipe........any thought s on this , guys ?

#2 ·
We used to do this deal in the logging camps..what we did was to put a plate of thick metal in the bottom of the stove which was raised up an inch or so from the bottom on little legs..To start the stove we had to preheat the plate with a wood fire until the plate was hot and then then the oil was dripped onto the plate which vaporized the oil and then it would burn..there was no filter involved as all we used was a valve which we could adjust to get the flow rate adjusted with.. the oil was fed by gravity from a barrel on the outside of the building.. Kinda stinky way to heat but was Ok for the shop guys..

Sam

#3 ·
I did it years ago. I had an old boiler made into a wood stove and just tapped into the top of it and put my container off to the side with a control valve. After I had a good fire going I would set a block of green cottonwood under the drip tube and let the oil drip on it. It is stinky outside though.

#7 ·
I have done it for years and I do it very similar to the way OMT described, with one difference. Where the oil enters the stove I have it feeding in through a 1/4" line and this has a 6" long 2" diameter pipe attached to it inside the stove, basically the 1/4" line feeds a 2"x6" pipe that is positioned horizontally over the plate that is sitting on the grates so the oil is heated before it drips onto it. By doing this the oil gets heated and turns into a gas (I guess you would describe that as a gas? :confused: ) before it starts to burn and after the stove gets hot very little if any oil actually gets dripped onto the plate. This has eliminated most of the smoke and once the stove warms up for a couple of minutes it eliminates the "stink" from the chimney smoke.

#8 ·
so, your 2x6 pipe only has a ''drip'' amount flowing thru it ? and it preheats just the 1 drip as it flows thru it at a time ? Also it sounds as if the 2x6 pipe is very close to the plate ? Is there more than just a small 'drip' size hole in the pipe ? and I assume it's on the bottm ?

#9 ·
knighthawk said:
some good ideas here, thanks. Just thinking , one of these days the Government will figure out a way to charge us for returning used oil .....
in Alabama they all ready do, they charge you a nickel a quart at the point of sale when you buy new oil.....a recycling fee,but then agin they tax everything here including grocery's, you can't buy anything here with out paying a tax on it
Kenny

#10 ·
The 1/4" pipe enters the larger pipe at the closed end at the rear near the top of the cap that closes off the end, I hope that made sense-I think I confused myself! :spank: As far as the drip, I just have the small pipe running from the tank to the larger pipe in the stove and I have a valve that I can adjust for flow. This is not what I (or anyone else I am sure) would call a fancy set-up it is just something we put together one weekend and it worked out quite well but the design would be very dependent on the particular stove it is going into so please take this as just a general idea of what worked for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.