can you find? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 11:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

can you find?

are pawn shops a good place to get tools? what brands should i keep my eye out for? are husky tools crap for home use?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Ask me, Cause I don't know

Last journal entry: Need things to do.
Last photo:

They can be. Estate sales, farm auctions. Buy the best tools you can get.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:32 PM

Tools

I hesitate to buy tools from Pawn shops for a couple of reasons.
I feel that a good share of tools that end up there are stolen. I won't go into how I know that OK?
If that is not an issue for you then you MAY be able to find some good HAND TOOLS there assuming you know enough about the cost of good tools and just what is REALLY a good price, otherwise you could really get taken.
As far as POWER tools....it's the same thing about stolen stuff, but I also have known a LOT of contractors, landscapers, and painters (I paint signs for all of them) who use the power tools HARD until they they are nearly dead, then go and pawn them so they can get SOME sort of return on the investment. The pawn shop cleans them up, and sells them for plenty but YOU bought a worn out tool.
If you are serious about buying GOOD tools, maybe you could call the snap on man, or other tool dealers.
They almost always have whole sets that they repo'd and just need to cover there expenses on. They also know what customers are drunks or druggies, and about to go down the crapper, and their tools will soon be for sale. Dont ask how I know that either....LOL
Years ago I let everyone I knew who might even remotely buy me a present for Xmas of Birthday how I felt about it.
I would rather have the kids go together, and get me one simple high quality tool than a lifetime of socks and sweaters.
My Good Looks have left me, my Boot Camp Body has left me, the Wife left me, people have died, moved, and mysteriously disapeared, but the thing that has been with me all these years is I STILL HAVE MY TOOLS.
Good Luck!
Old 09-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Before one goes out buying tools check the online dealers for pricing..there are times when I can buy a brand new in box tool for less than the pawn shop..or the estate sales and such..

Sam
Old 09-13-2008, 02:28 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

If its for home use only, hard to beat craftsman. I buy alot of stuff from flea markets too.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:32 PM

I've found that pawnshops and commercially run estate sales are not a good place to buy power tools. Their primary business is selling used items, and they do it every day. They also know the value of good tools and price them relatively high because they know they will sell.

You can sometimes find a good price at a family-run estate sale, because they are just interested in trying to get everything to sell so they can clean out the house.

Bruce
Old 09-13-2008, 09:27 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

Around here all they have is cheap tools and they want as much as they cost new. I would look for craftsmen, Ingersol Rand, snap on, mac. I figure husky would be good for personal use. I belive they have a 3 year waranty so they have to be a good tool
Old 09-18-2008, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

Most pawn shops will price individual professional tools at more than their actual cost(50% of the tool truck cost). Just about the only way to get a good deal is to buy a large set with box complete.

Craigslist is where lots and lots show up. Know your pricing and cash deals' talk.

You can alzo find a local automotive college and put a notice on their bulletin board wanting to use their 50-60% discount offers, not redeemed, from Snap On MAC Matco and you can get new tools for great deals...

Last edited by OHD; 09-18-2008 at 09:37 PM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.