Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   Can you fix these seat belts? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/can-you-fix-these-seat-belts-203355.html)

muzzfactor 08-07-2011 07:28 PM

Can you fix these seat belts?

2 Attachment(s)
This cars seat belts are folded up in the buckle and won't budge even with pliers. Is there any way to open up the buckle part? Any suggestions?

matt167 08-07-2011 11:16 PM

That webbing is shot and the buckle slider is corroded, causing the problem. Cut them off, clean them up and take care of the corrosion, then take the seat belts to an Auto upholstery shop and have them replace the webbing

DanTwoLakes 08-09-2011 07:16 AM

Or order the original type seat belt arrangement from one of the on line seat belt places like www.seatbeltpros.com.

kristkustoms 08-23-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Or order the original type seat belt arrangement from one of the on line seat belt places like www.seatbeltpros.com.

Do this!

I have been asked to re-sew seat belt webbing, but I refuse to do it. Too much of a liability for me. I won't install seat belts in customers cars either. If they mount them, I will unbolt them, then re-install them when the car is done. I always tell my customer that I am an upholsterer not a seatbelt safety engineer. Too much liability for me.

DanTwoLakes 08-25-2011 07:46 PM

Shawn: I want to thank you for telling people that you are an upholsterer and not a "trimmer". I myself hate the term "trimmer". There is so much more to doing car interiors than just "trimming" them.

This is my 38th year as an upholsterer, and I am proud of that. I am also, as I have been my entire career, willing to learn a new method, find a new product, or listen to a new idea, no matter how off the wall it may seem to be, in search of the best and most high quality way of making my customer's car interiors (and in my case all the other things I do) the best they can be.
Any way, thanks.

Dan

kristkustoms 09-01-2011 04:38 PM

If I can toot our horns, an "upholsterer," especially in "custom upholstery," are all of the following and more:

Trimmer
Seamstress/Sewer/Stitcher
Pattern Maker
Wood Worker
Welder and Fabricator
Fiberglass-er and Bodyman (Bondo and fillers)
Plastic Worker
Foam Fabricator
12v Electrician
Auto Glass Technician (I personally am not)
Janitor (I fixed the urinal at the shop today, yuck)

DanTwoLakes 09-01-2011 06:25 PM

Toot away. Don't forget 1)springer, 2)button, snap, zipper,and grommet installer, 3)tufter, 4)plastic,vinyl and leather dyeing expert, and 5)Bon Vivant. I also do a mean load of laundry once in a while.

I know what you mean about auto glass installer. I can do a basic rear window, but I have a guy who does the more difficult stuff, like a wrap around rear window in a '55 Ford with 14 pieces of chrome trim.