Hot Rod Forum banner

Can You I D a Block & Heads Small Block Chevy please?

8K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  68NovaSS 
#1 ·
I would like to make sure this a Chevy Small Block 400 Because of the external Balancing thing.

Please look @ these pictures.

Thanks for your time!

R :thumbup:

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
badbob said:
According to Moretech's site- http://www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com/chevrolet_engine_numbers.html

those heads are right for a 400. From what I've seen the 882's were the most common.

Does the engine have three feezeplugs on each side or two?

Its got 2 on the front sides & back & the one on the cam shaft in the rear

No not yet I got side tracked by a little rust hole in the fire wall.................. :rolleyes:

Dammit it got bigger & bigger each time I hit it with my pick hammer trying to scale off the rust .

Next think you know I'm back at the Bone Yard getting a "floor section,''It IS a tricky spot I should be Welding tomorrow weather permitting.

I keep taking chit off I thought I was just installing a MOTOR not Restoring the thing.

My brain gets so fogged up @ least all those years working tuned my "spidy senses " to not cut stuff up until I got it all worked out in my teeny tiny brain box.

LOL

Oh well @ least it will be done right.

Are the 882 heads good bad or indifferent ? :confused:

badbob Thanks for the link!

Attachments

#10 ·
that 509 is 90% sure to be a 2 bolt, and the year is most likely going to be 78-80 because that electric oil sender unit usually wasnt on anything before 78

i have the original 509 casting 400sb in my 77 k-10 still

TLS stamping suffix code

2 bolt

runs great

also 882 heads in which was what most all the 400 engine got for heads

they are somewhat ok but some were thin casting and they flow decent but nothing spectacular

are just regular open chamber smogger heads

50/50 chance that they are thin wall and could crack or warp

good luck

#11 ·
Those 624 heads are very, very light castings and excellent doorstops! You will find any number of different casting numbers that Chevy used on the 400. 882s were probably used mostly in the latter years of 400 production. They are also light castings, but better than the 624s. You can use any Chevy head of that era by having steams holes drilled in them. I've got a set of Vortecs on the 406 in my '86.

#12 ·
Rob Keller said:
Hey Guys ,

What is the deal with the "replacement blocks in 70 ~ 73?

Ha look I am quoting my self :rolleyes:

I had seen in the Mortec site that there was a replacement block listing.
I am guessing that G M redesigned something after 73?

I was talking to BUGS & he has 2 400's & the are 4 bolt 3 freeze plugs & there is no I D shelf on his blocks {the Passenger side front under the alternator}

He's Convinced that its a 350 but every place I looked up it comes up 400 :confused: :rolleyes:

Well any way

Thanks Y'all!!! :D

Big help :thumbup:

I hope the thing runs , should find out if the weather hold out It should do until I find a big block. :evil:

Thanks Again!!!

#13 ·
Well I can't be 100% sure Rob on it being a 350, I am just going by what I have and all the trips to the bone yard with other small block chevy nuts and that is what they go for first is the 3 freeze plugs on each side, maybe you got real lucky and someone slid a small block 302 chevy in on ya :D wouldn't that be a hoot??? :)

#15 ·
Rob, it was once pointed out to me that the 400s have a very gentle "bulge" on the outside of the block around each of the cylinders. I did not believe it until I checked it out on mine (511 casting) and, sure enough, they were there. I compared that with a 350 and the sides of the block were flat.

xntrik, what crankshaft pictures are you looking at?

#16 ·
The Motor came out of a 1987 C~30 Camper

The guy I got it from was 2nd owner never drove it but ran it

The guy he bought it from bought it new

the sticker under the hood said 6.6 L ~ 400 Cid
it had a 10,500 GVWR.

The casting #'s say its a 400 so with all this info I'm gonna say its a 400 Anybody want to trade me a running Bog Block Chevy For it before I chunk it in the hole???

It already it seeming to be a little ........different.\

I'm thinking that there is not going to be much power difference between the 400 & A 350 except all this balancing crapola.

I think that Ford Blue is going to fry off those exhaust manifolds fairly fast, have a fire extinguisher handy.
Its Royal Blue & i will probably wire wheel off most of it before i chunk it in.

I'm a Bad painter I paint everything if its there it get sqwuirted :drunk:

OK so the visual looks like a 305~ 350

But is you look @ the actual "footprint" on the Flex plate it shows the shape[ of a 400 you tell me?

Attachments

#17 ·
You are so right Blazin72, I have had my 400's all these years and when I read your post I went out and checked one of mine,,sure enough there is a hump on each cylinder on the outside of the block, thanks for bringing that up, one more way to I.D. a 400 :)

#18 ·
400 Id

Yes you have a 400 the heads 462624 75-86 350/400 76cc chamber with a configuration ov vavle sizes ranging from 1.72/1.5 to 1.94/1.5 or 2.02/1.6.the block 395109 was used from 70-71 with 4 bolt mains and from 74 to 80 with 2 bolt mains.Congrats 400 are getting hard to find

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.