Can you install a radiator on its side? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 02:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Can you install a radiator on its side?

Ok I am building a "rat rod" 46 chevy truck body on a 85 s10 with a somewhat built 350, I am going fenderless and puting a 36 front grille on, my question is can I mount the radiator on its side? It would than fit in the 36 grille, the top radiator hose would be where the bottom hose was and vise versa, the cap would still be on top, seems like it would work but what do I do with the trans lines they will both be on top? or is there other issus I am not considering?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Guess you could.....I would think you would have trouble getting the coolant in......and your trans cooler would be in the hot water, if it was in water at all.....and wouldn't be cooling anything.........Look for a upright rad.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

As long as the engine intake is low and the return is high, you should be able to turn it on its side. As far as cooling the tranny - just use an after market cooler. Seems to me that some '60's Fords had this with a separate return tank to fill the system. Look at the first picture here: http://www.midlifeclassics.com/63Galaxie2drSedan.html

The actual rad is like this: http://classicfordradiator.com/60-63...wradiator.aspx

And yes, I did own a '63

Dave W
Old 07-10-2010, 04:32 PM

ok so I was thinking of using the drain petcock for the cold to trans cooler(which will still be on the bottom of the sideways rad) and use the one of the holes on top(as now both the original trans line are on top) as the hot, if I am thinking right and as Irelands child said intake(cold) is low return(hot) is high, thats the same with the trans cooler right, so other than being harder to fill IT SHOULD WORK????? RIGHT??????? or do I think to much (and I could rig a tank to fill like the Galaixes had (I had a 64)
Old 07-10-2010, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

The radiator in my 36 Terraplane is a GM unit turned on its side with a Ford type puke tank on the top outer side..

Trans cooler is now at the bottom.. Has worked for years.. SBC/turbo trans powered..
Old 07-10-2010, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat 46
ok so I was thinking of using the drain petcock for the cold to trans cooler(which will still be on the bottom of the sideways rad) and use the one of the holes on top(as now both the original trans line are on top) as the hot, if I am thinking right and as Irelands child said intake(cold) is low return(hot) is high, thats the same with the trans cooler right, so other than being harder to fill IT SHOULD WORK????? RIGHT??????? or do I think to much (and I could rig a tank to fill like the Galaixes had (I had a 64)
You better have a look at how the trans cooler works..........hooking it to that petcock will NOT work......
Old 07-10-2010, 06:17 PM

To be honest I dont know how a trans cooler works (or alot of things learning as I go as this is my first build), there is a line at the top and bottom of my radiator that goes to the trans(some kind of inside cooler right), if I flip the rad on its side both of those holes on the rad will be on top, but the petcock will still be on the bottom and they look to be the same size hole(I think) will it not circulate to the trans or???
Old 07-10-2010, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

the pet **** drains coolant..... the tranny lines cary tranny fluid. unless you have a tranny and engine that likes coolant oil blend.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

Thing is.....the trans fluid comes from the transmission, into one of those fittings. There is a tube that takes it through the coolant and back to the trans from the other fitting.......If you hook your trans line to the petcock, you will be mixing the trans fluid with the coolant..........
Old 07-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Thanks everyone......ok, told you I was learning, but I could flip radiator on side and get a seperate trans oil cooler for like $50 from auto store. and I would mount in front of radiator right(so it would go trans cooler, rad, fan. or can I mount away from fan like on the very bottom or the very top? Or do I need to get this side ways radiator thing out of my head and drop $350 on a new radiator? THANKS AGAIN
Old 07-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

The oil cooler in a rad is only a tubing rolled in a coil..Goes in one in out the other..You don't want to hook it to the pet drain..You will not like the results.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.