Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - can you paint exhaust manifolds?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002, 06:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I sorta need to disagree with 4Jaw on this one. Powder coating is NORMALLY polyester polymer but it can be any kind of thermo-plastic material such as nylon, vinyl, polyethelene, anything that can be powdered and melted. He is right, it won't last on headers - way too hot. Headers need to be metallic-ceramic coated. Period! However, I have found powder coating works great on everything else including engine blocks, heads, intake manifolds (look at the closeup picture in the Photo Album section of this site of my hemi with a glossy orange powder coated intake manifold with stock exhaust x-over. No burns.), the entire exhaust system downstream of the headers (see the side view of my Willys in the Album - those flat black powder coated header mufflers are like new after about 20,000 miles), etc. Catalytic converters are likely a no-no but everything else is fine.

And I still have a couple of pastel, double breasted, bell bottom polyester suits. Too groovy to get rid of although I need to lose about 120# to wriggle into them again! Maybe if I lay the sky blue jacked over my exhaust headers and start the engine . . . . hmmmmm . . . .

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>