Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - can you paint exhaust manifolds?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2002, 08:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I got that info about the various resins, from my powder coating guy. All I ever used is what he has in his gun at the time, as long as it's the right color, again on recommendation from my guy. He advised that the specialty resins had very narrow application and that the run of the mill polyester was as tough as it gets for 99.99% of all apps. I was really doubtful too when he told me that I could coat everything but the header itself but I am a big believer now. I have coated exhaust systems, engines, transmissions, and frames on three cars now and not only does the coating not burn off, it doesn't even lose its original sheen (gloss stays glossy, semi-gloss and flat, ditto). The only thing I paint on a car now is the body (catalyzed color/clear coat urethane only). Everything else is powder coated, chromed, or for headers ceramic/metallic coated. Sounds expensive and it is a little more at the beginning but my finishes are as near zero maintenance as you can get and still in show condition when needed. Since I tend to keep cars a while (eg., Willys for 40 years), it's a good investment. If I was building a car and selling it every couple of years, of course I would probably go a totally different route.