Can You Plug The 2-3 Accumulation On 700's? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 07:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Can You Plug The 2-3 Accumulation On 700's?

I finally got my '85 trans together. I used a 1st gen. VB (follow up to my other thread). I still managed to goof up the build.

I got the trans together, and installed, and now I only have R, 1st & 2nd. No 3rd gear. I pulled the valve body and began checking the 2-4 servo by air-checking it. I CANNOT remove the 2-4 servo cover due to body clearance. So, I went about air-checking the servo through the 3 available holes. Immediately I noticed excessive air coming from the ball capsule passage behind the servo. My flash-light showed me what I already suspected---No Ball. No capsule! I don't know how I missed it but now it's too late. The trans is installed.

So, my question is-is it possible to plug that passage? I was thinking of tapping, and installing a pipe plug right at the lowest point in the case to avoid closing up the exhaust hole at the top of that passage.

I realize that this may affect the 2-3 shift timing and may require a larger band exhaust hole to avoid binding.. I just need to know if this can be done.

The car is for mild performance use and harsh 2-3 upshifts would be a BLESSING not a curse. I'll live with the shift quality if I can do this.

I know you guys will say that I should just put a new ball capsule in place. The problem with that theory is that it is Saturday night and I can't order the part till next week, and then get it..... a week later.. I figure not having 2-3 accumulation would be a positive thing.

Anyway-can this be done???????? Or will there be other problems that result from doing this..?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 PM

Do NOT block that hole!!!! The capsule is needed for correct coast throttle downshifting as well as orificing 3rd oil. If the ball and capsule is gone, all the 3rd oil is vented into the case bore. Get the correct capsule and install.
I have never seen a capsule come out of a case in more than 20 years of working on these. Interesting.....
Old 03-26-2011, 09:25 PM

I have just started learning to build and the 700's are what I have had the most experience with so far. I have a grand total of 9 under my belt at this time. In those first 9 transmissions, i have had some WEIRD stuff happen.

I have some type of curse wherein if something out of the ordinary can go wrong-it will!

My first 700 build I had no 4th gear.. I finally tracked it down to the servo pin being plugged up internally. What are the odds?

My first 4L60E was slipping on reverse, and also slipping on the 1-2 upshift (or possibly 2-3, I can't remember now). Anyway, I pulled that trans back out and while air checking the low/reverse section-I found a hairline crack that extended half-way round the little bowl area that the lo/rev. piston sits in! I air checked it as I was building it and did not see the crack then. Only after installing it did I realize there was a problem.

I built another 4L60E for my buddy and it failed within the first week. When it came back, we put a different input drum in it, and now everything is fine. How the drum was bad, I don't know. I've checked it over & over again and can't figure out what is wrong with it.

That seems to be my pattern though. This most recent event was just carelessness on my part for not checking that capsule while I had it apart on the table. I guess I'll be replacing that capsule in every transmission I touch from now on...

I think some people get lucky with their rebuilds and get it right the first time. I'm not one of those people. Some would say that experiencing these things is experience. I would call it a pain in the butt, and I keep hoping for things to go the right way on the first try.

I've said it before, I'll say it again-you guys that do this for a living should be commended. Everytime I touch one of these transmissions I've having to learn the hard way about something new to watch out for. Does it ever get easier.....? If so, how many years, and thousands of dollars later will it take? Ha ha ha..
Old 03-27-2011, 07:13 PM

700r4 questions

i have a 93 model od i bought from a guy that had it built a few years ago but its been set up never run and everything was stuck and crappy so removed the valve body and govoner and the 2 4 servo and noticed the servo spring was gone it shifted but wouldnt go into 3 or 4th doe sit need the spring and y do u think they left it out? and someone told to put ion a super servo in its place what is that and what does it do
Old 03-28-2011, 08:16 AM

91lss10-I find it very hard to understand your "style" of writing.

Best I can tell-you don't have 3rd, or 4th? If that is the case, there are several things that can cause this.

Here's a list of what to look for:
Missing or leaking 3rd accumulation ball capsule behind the 2-4 servo
Incorrect Valve Body
Incorrect Valve Body gaskets
Sticking valves in the valve body
NO 4th can be caused by cut servo "D" seals, missing 4th servo piston, incorrectly installed 4th servo piston
Burned, or otherwise faulty, 3/4 clutches in the input drum
Faulty 3/4 apply piston in the input drum

Why did you start tearing the transmission down before troubleshooting??
The missing spring from the servo will not cause a no 3rd/4th condition. Third does not use the band at all. I guess it's possible that the band is not releasing during the attempt to upshift from 2-3, but I doubt it.

You say this is a 93 trans. Is it a 700R4 or the 4L60E? I would start a new post using "No 3rd or 4th Gear In 700R4 or 4L60E (depending on which trans you have)". Hopefully the more knowledgeable people on this board will help out.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.