Can you recondition rich fouled spark plugs? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 03:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Can you recondition rich fouled spark plugs?

I am on my second set of A/C r45ts plugs since my rebuild 100 miles ago, on bone stock 350 Chevy quadrajet 4 barrel since i am going to sell this vehicle i had rather not have to buy another set .How can i recondition them?Someone said autolite plugs would not foul as bad?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2004, 03:56 PM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

adjust your idle screws so your not running so rich and you wont have that problem
Old 01-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I like Autolites. They seem to be made of better stuff. It is probably like motor oils - they all will do the job, just depends on who has the best ads! Anyway, if your plugs are just discolored they should clean right up when you get the carb tuned properly. Until you do that, you will have fouling trouble, regardless of the plug you run. If the plugs are carboned up (happens more with oil fouling than with running rich), then you can carefully scrape off (or sand blast) the carbon and reuse the plugs. Plugs should be useable until the electrodes wear out.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally posted by 71 c-10
adjust your idle screws so your not running so rich and you wont have that problem
Hmmm, that was rude. And before you preach, know your facts. A rich soiled plug likely has very little to do with the idle circuit of your carb, and more to do with the primary or the float. Not to mention that wasn't the question in the first place.

Anyway, I've gone through a few sets of plugs too. I usually use a wire toothbrush and some carb cleaner (since its a solvent and a compound the plugs encounter anyway). I like to keep the boot end of the plug covered with something so that it doesn't get residue all over it. That end is harder to clean because its porous.

I hope that helps-

K
Old 01-19-2004, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

You might consider one of these Air Spark Plug Cleaners. I've seen them at Harbor Freight also.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I use a wire wheel to clean my plugs. I just do it enough to get the plug clean. Any more and you will grind off the electrode. Some people will scoff at the idea, but it is okay as long as you change your plugs after no more than three cleanings.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Engine Builder Mentee

I do the same thing with as Luciano, I use my dremel with a brass wire wheel do clean then up, and try to stay away from the electrode. Sometimes I also take a points file and lightle file the electrode, just to clean it up, and of course re-gap them then.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

The little sand blast cleaners are priced reasonable at most parts stores.

Idle mixture should not foul plugs,you might drop one size jets, or rebuild the carb. If it's fouling the plugs that often, it's probably washing the cylinders down.

Troy
Old 01-20-2004, 01:53 PM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by killerformula
Hmmm, that was rude. And before you preach, know your facts. A rich soiled plug likely has very little to do with the idle circuit of your carb, and more to do with the primary or the float. Not to mention that wasn't the question in the first place.

Anyway, I've gone through a few sets of plugs too. I usually use a wire toothbrush and some carb cleaner (since its a solvent and a compound the plugs encounter anyway). I like to keep the boot end of the plug covered with something so that it doesn't get residue all over it. That end is harder to clean because its porous.

I hope that helps-

K
your right killer, i didnt think this one through, i was kinda sleepy yesterday so i was in an iratble mood and not thinking clear, my appologies.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

The problem with cleaning plugs is damaging the porcelain surface. Least problem is glass beading them with either a dedicated spark plug cleaner or simply a bead blast cabinet. This still removes a little of the glaze and does makes them more susceptible to future deposits - but this is the method I use, and I don't seem to have any problems. Sand blasting really removes the glaze and is unacceptable. Also, if you don't take your time and get all the blast media out of the plug, it's going to end up in the engine.

The problem with using a wire brush is that it coats the porcelain surface with minute pieces of material that are great electrical conductors. A motorized brush will deposit more material, but the hand brush will still do damage. If you end up with a strange miss after cleaning your plugs this way, you know where to look.

I would agree that too rich of idle mixture will coat the plugs. Only easy test is to blast down the highway at cruising speed for awhile, and cut the ignition and throw it in neutral and coast to a stop - and then pull and look at a plug or two. This will give a fair indication of whether your running too rich. Normally, the plugs are going to look a little black from just chugging into your garage to pull the plugs.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:32 PM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

so my idea is 100% wrong another way to check for richness is to look for black smoke from the tail pipes when accelerating.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:11 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Black smoke at any time is to rich.

Troy
Old 01-20-2004, 05:01 PM

bend down to the exhaust pipe and from the running engine, let the fumes hit your face. If your eyes tear up and the next thing you notice is the big bright lights over head of you in the hospital emergency room....yep the carb's to rich.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

I use a non-metalic brush thing that chucks into my 3/8" drill. I don't remember what its called, but it has a mild abrasive in plastic bristles and seems to do a pretty nice job. I used to (read that as "in 1962") go down to our local Mobil station where they would let me use their plug blaster, but later I heard that was not a good idea. Damaged the plugs and got abrasive into the engine.

Dave

Dave

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.