Hot Rod Forum banner

Canadian Rodders

9K views 94 replies 52 participants last post by  old goat 
#1 ·
There seems to be an abundance of guys and gals from the "Great White North" in Hotrodders.com.

How about a few introductions, tell where we are from, etc. Maybe we live closer to each other than we think.
OK, I will start.

I live in Georgetown Ontario, near Toronto. I have 2 collector vehicles, a 51 Ford pickup, Chevy powered, turbo 350, Nova clip. My avatar picture shows it.
Also have a 62 Pontiac Parisienne convertible, 350 Chevy powered, turbo trans. see pic below.

OK, whos next.
Show me what ya got.(Hot rod related)

Harry

Oh yeah.....my webpage is..http://www.geocities.com/hlieder1/

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Harry,

i'm in Stratford, about 1/2hr from Kitchener.

had a '48 Dodge 4dr Special Deluxe. drove that for a couple years. now i'm working on a '47 Plymouth deluxe which i bought as a parts car for the dodge. been going on that for a couple years now and, believe me, it's taking a lot longer than i would like. need to get my butt in gear and get some serious work done. putting the plymouth body on a '88 dakota frame and using drivetrain from '79 newport with a 360.

currently driving a '76 LTD Landau, 84,000miles. 400cid.

JB

#4 ·
Hi, I live in Regina Sask. I moved here from Toronto in 1991. I actually grew up in Newmarket but got the hell out as soon as I could. The first car I bought here was a 1965 Ford Custom 500 for $650.00. I spent about $1500.00 on it and sold it for around $4000.00. Currently I own 2 1965 Beaumonts. The good one is in my photo album, the other one is a beater. Its powered by a 406 sbc making about 425 hp and 480 lb ft. I also have a 74 Chevelle called the Chevelle from Hell. Its in my photo album as well. The other cars in my fleet are a 83 Caddy, 77 Olds Delta 88, 80 Concord, 81 Delta 88, 1993 Pathfinder, 2003 Honda and a 1991 Sprint that my daughter drives. Here in Saskatchewan you can buy a car for $100.00, plate it and drive it, no safeties required. I bought the 1981 Delta 88 for a coffee and danish.

Steve

#9 ·
Hi, I'm Tom. I live in Shannonville, On., which is 120 miles east of Toronto, 40 miles west of Kingston. It's the home of www.shannonville.com Presently own a 67 Camaro, 350,TH350,4.88 gears, and is occasionally dragged strictly for fun. Will be changing ratio this winter to 4.10. Playing around also with a 84 Camaro, completely stock 305. Also own Chevy 28 foot Rockwood motorhome, and 2001 Ford Escape.
I also didn't realize things were so cheap in Sask., knew about no Provincial tax in Alberta. Happy Rodding! Working on getting a photo album together, and thanks to Kevin 45 for the tips he sent to other members on uploading.:D :thumbup:

#10 ·
Hello .. Kim here .. aka PUP .. I live in Greensville just a hick town about 20 minutes outside of Hamilton .POP about maybe 1000.
Between me and the hubby .. And I have to say that I am the worst for bringin stuff home.. we have a

1958 GMC stepside
1972 Monte Carlo
1981 Malibu
1987 Monte Carlo SS
1992 Silverado ext cab
1994 Gand AM (P.O.S.)

#12 ·
Welcome herbie................Chevette project sounds interesting. Are you going with the 2.8 or 4.3 V6? The 4.3 is much more powerfull. I have a 2,8 in my 4X4 blazer and it will barely pull itseff up a hill. Of course, in a Chevette, it might be different.

Good luck on your project. Hope we can be of some help.

#14 ·
I'm not a Canadian (unless living in far northern Wisconsin counts) but I do have a couple quick comments on Canadian rodders. I bought my '32 pickup from a Canadian rod builder (Charlie Titman) and can't believe the ingenuity and craftsmanship in the vehicle. When I went to Vancouver to make all the arrangements to ship the truck to the states it was the middle of January. And I saw at least half a dozen street rods out on the road in less than 3-4 hours time. Point being, Canada seems to be not only a hotbed of hard core street rodders but a hotbed of very nice street rods. Hat's off to you folks up on the north side.

#15 ·
I'm from Edmonton and I picked up a 1934 Olds 4 door sedan last fall. Good weather has returned so I'm just getting back to tearing it all down now. It's going to take me a few years to do this one as it is my first ever project and I have to learn about everything required from welding to paint and upholstry. Good thing is my boys are taking an interest in the project and want to help.

I am currently driving my new toy bought last week... an immaculate '96 Chev truck.

Thanks Cboy for the kind words about what you like about us up here :thumbup:

#17 ·
Hi all. I'm from Winnipeg Manitoba where real estate is still way cheap compared to Toronto :D . Those big lakes you see on the map are only an hour's drive away. Grand Beach is the main beach, and there are plenty of other smaller, less populated beaches all along the south shore of Lake Winnipeg. The summers here make up for our cold winters. And the mosquitos only come out at dusk for an hour or two.

Now, what shall we drive to the beach?

'65 Impala SS H.T. 327 4speed
'87 Monte Carlo SS T-top (eh chevluvnpuppy!)
'59 Olds Super 88 4 door 394
'80 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4

biggest regret: selling 66 Olds F85 for $400 (I smell a new thread here)

Nice to meet you all.
Paul.

*Herbie, t'es français, oui?

#19 ·
Hey guys, I'm in Ontario, and my toys are a '72 Monte Carlo, '66 'Corvette, and '87 Chev shortbox, all in various states of repair.
The Monte is getting a stroker and Vette is getting the Monte's 355.
The shortbox has a '68 010 block and M21 trans, so it won't be eligible for emissions exemption until next year.
Anyone know of a good crate/turnkey 383 distributor in Canada? The GM prices in the States blow away the GM dealers here, but would like to keep my business dealings close for any problems, the shipping kills all the savings.

Great site eh.

#21 ·
Steve karch said:
Hi, I live in Regina Sask. I moved here from Toronto in 1991. I actually grew up in Newmarket but got the hell out as soon as I could. The first car I bought here was a 1965 Ford Custom 500 for $650.00. I spent about $1500.00 on it and sold it for around $4000.00. Currently I own 2 1965 Beaumonts. The good one is in my photo album, the other one is a beater. Its powered by a 406 sbc making about 425 hp and 480 lb ft. I also have a 74 Chevelle called the Chevelle from Hell. Its in my photo album as well. The other cars in my fleet are a 83 Caddy, 77 Olds Delta 88, 80 Concord, 81 Delta 88, 1993 Pathfinder, 2003 Honda and a 1991 Sprint that my daughter drives. Here in Saskatchewan you can buy a car for $100.00, plate it and drive it, no safeties required. I bought the 1981 Delta 88 for a coffee and danish.

Steve
Hey mate im from saskatoon. Are you going to be at the cruise night in saskatoon this august? I might have my 66 gmc there so ya can drop by and say hello if your there.

#23 ·
When is it? I'm usually so busy with work, that I miss out on all the cool shows and stuff. Unless it's on a weekend, I doubt if I'll be able to go, as I am starting a new job on the 8th of August. I wasn't so hot on wrenching on Dodges, but the Chrysler dealership in Kindersley pays the best!! :thumbup:

#24 ·
sbchevfreak said:
When is it? I'm usually so busy with work, that I miss out on all the cool shows and stuff. Unless it's on a weekend, I doubt if I'll be able to go, as I am starting a new job on the 8th of August. I wasn't so hot on wrenching on Dodges, but the Chrysler dealership in Kindersley pays the best!! :thumbup:
I think its on the weekend in late august. ill have to check and ill let ya know when i find out. :thumbup:

#25 ·
Hi Folks.

Yup, you guessed it ... I'm working on my 1966 GMC.
It's slow going on it this year, and it's going to take a lot of time and money to get it all together. Just got the engine (454 BBC) back from Competition Services in Carstairs, AB ... and am in the process of installing all of the shiny parts on it right now. Watch my journal for the pics I'll soon be adding.
<big grin>

We also have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (4-dr) that we bought 4 years ago ... love that car! It's the perfect car for a middle-aged "hot-rodder"! Comfortable, classy, lots of power, and great on gas to boot!

Lastly, we STILL have the 1986 Ford Tempo that we bought brand new. Yours truly drives it back and forth to work every day. I describe this car as "rusty but trusty". Parts are cheap and readily available, but it about the furthest thing from a "hot-rod" that you can imagine. I said that I was going to take it to the drag strip ... but that you'd have to use a CALENDAR to determine it's ET!

Some of you probably already know about Performance-Shop.com (Hi Montea) which seems to be based out of Calgary.

Crow44: Incidentally ... I saw an ad on a 383 SBC there tonight.
If you want new only, check out Campbell Automotive in Edmonton, AB. They came highly recommended from a friend of mine who worked for DANA corp, and has a "funny car" addiction as well. I looked at there pricing and thought that I could "grow my own" a lot cheaper. Now I'm not so sure.

Final note: I was born and raised in Sask (all over ... but still think of Moose Jaw as "home") and can tell you some incredible stories about how cheap cars USED TO BE back in the day. We used to drive up and down the alleys looking for old license plates on a vehicle. The older the plate, the less money we would offer. A friend bought a 1963 Comet Caliente rag top for $50.00 in about 1978. I turned down a 1967 Fairlane GTA (390 in a fairlane ... can you imagine?) It needed an engine, and the guy "still wanted" $500.00 for it. <kick - kick>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.