Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Canadian Tire wrecks engine
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
The dealer ship said that the car had passed the US to Canada inspections etc and was good to go. Because it was out of province we had to get it safetied here in Saskatchewan before we could plate it. I decided to take it to CT cause they also do the out of country inspections in our city and I wanted to take it somewhere familiar with the rules in case they found something. Sure enough they found a worn lower ball joint which should have failed the original US to Canada inspection.
I hate to say this, because you had a good experience, but if you ever saw the "Canada to US" inspection sheet, you would know that it has absolutely nothing to do with vehicle condition. It checks GVW, GAWR, tire size, pressure and type, VIN, daytime running lights, lift kit, and compliance label. The safety comes when the out of province is done. There are no safety checks done on an out of country, it takes MAYBE 10 minutes with a clipboard and a tire gauge.

I happen to be a technician at a Canadian Tire, and I have to say the generalization that we are all crooks is a little insulting. I have never cheated anyone in my life, and I take pride in my work. Not all CT techs are rip off artists, just as not all techs at any auto service are crooks.