Are the candidates clueless? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Are the candidates clueless?

I just saw where the unemployment rate has topped 6% and both candidates are talking about the tax cuts as a means of dealing with the recession. Obama wants to raise taxes on the upper class and says he wants to cut taxes for the middle class whatever he means by that and John McCain wants to extend the present tax cuts. Not one word from either side about what is causing the problem, who the hell do they think is going to be paying taxes if all our work is sent overseas? Everything and I do mean EVERYTHING is made offshore anymore (as if you guys didn't know that already) with the vast majority of it in China. Are these guys totally in the dark? Why is it that this problem is rarely talked about anywhere and especially by the politicians? We keep talking about what is going to happen to the economy if all the factories keep closing and moving out of the country, well it is happening right now and I fear it is going to get really bad in a hurry. The scary part is who is going to do anything about it? Neither McCain nor Obama seem to notice or if they do they don't care. I am not playing politics for either candidate here because one seems to be as bad as the other in this respect.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 08:04 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

I didn't have the chance to catch all of Obama's speech but I had McCain's on and I do recall him touching on the issue briefly though I didn't pay that much attention.

I don't think it's because they are clueless it's just that there are issues that U.S. citizens are more concerned with. Oil and Iraq being a couple. I know I try to make an effort to buy items made in this country when I can but it isn't easy and many people don't care where things come from as long as they're cheap. The same reason why oil and gas prices are such a hot topic...
Old 09-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Hasn't Obama proposed tax cuts to corporations who create jobs on our shores and increase taxes to corporations who set up over seas?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
Hasn't Obama proposed tax cuts to corporations who create jobs on our shores and increase taxes to corporations who set up over seas?

I had not heard that but it is at least a step in the right direction. Maybe as the campaign goes forward we will learn a little more about who stands where on this issue. I am not for tariffs and other sorts of protectionism but someone needs to kick some corporate butt and get these people to see that these short term profits will cost them in the long run.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
I think he may have mentioned something along those lines in his political speeches. Nothing has been proposed by anyone as of this time to my knowledge.

Congress would have to be the one to pass any legislation. The President can then either sign into law or veto.

Many supposed U.S. corporations are actually foreign owned and operated.

Since the corporations are some of the biggest money supporters of political candidates; how many proposals do you think will be made and then passed into law to punish them if they send jobs (manufacturing or otherwise) offshore?

I am a former employee (forced early retirement after 32+ years) of what once was an American company. It grew to be a worldwide presence and major manufacturer and had many manufacturing facilities throughout the U.S, Canada, Mexico, U.K., Ireland, Germany, Costa Rico and other parts of the world.

In the 1990's that company was purchased by a French company. The original name was kept and is still used today. Worldwide presence was even greater, re-organization began (that means loss of white collar jobs), and then finally all U.S. and some Canadian manufacturing (with more loss of good paying jobs and loss of benefits) was sent to Mexico, China, Italy and Central America. Funny thing is that the folks in Mexico were worried as to how long the "new" jobs to them would stay before being shipped to China.

All this shifting of jobs created a windfall for the stockholders. NAFTA kicked in for many of the former employees and provide them with up to two years of unemployment benefits and an opportunity for some schooling. BUT, after that they are left with much lower paying jobs for the most part as there no longer was/are better paying manufacturing jobs available where they live.

So now, you the consumer may still purchase the products the company manufactures. The company makes greater profits because the products are cheaper to manufacture but the selling prices have actually been re-adjusted and gone up.

I know of at least one person on this board that has recently purchased from this company (he is building a really nice garage) and may or may not be aware that what he purchased is not made in the U.S. Actually he may not even care.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:01 AM

Last photo:

I look at what a candidate has already done more than what a candidate says he or she will do.

Obama has done very little for the country and nothing very good in a realistic non-welfare state way for Illinois, but what can you expect from a cook (crook) county politician?

Biden (Obama's VP) is old school left politics at it's worst. Obama was trying to present a fresh face and trying to sell the "I am not part of the machine, I am a reformer" spiel. Obama rruined that illusion with Biden.

McCain is Luke warm at best. He is a reformer but some of his ideas are in my opinion poorly thought out and executed.

I like his VP. I can't remember her name right now. She seems more in touch with American people than any of the above. Her husband is a member of the steelworkers union.

I am more of an issues voter than political drama voter.

I will vote against Obama because he has demonstrated that he is for greater federal regulation of both of my hobbies and my buisness.

It is sad that the Democratic party refuses to put forth a better candidate than John McCain, I never thought he would be a presidential candidate.

Watching politics this year is like watching a game two comprised of the worst players of all time and being forced to root for a team.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
I just saw where the unemployment rate has topped 6% and both candidates are talking about the tax cuts as a means of dealing with the recession. Obama wants to raise taxes on the upper class and says he wants to cut taxes for the middle class whatever he means by that and John McCain wants to extend the present tax cuts. Not one word from either side about what is causing the problem, who the hell do they think is going to be paying taxes if all our work is sent overseas? Everything and I do mean EVERYTHING is made offshore anymore (as if you guys didn't know that already) with the vast majority of it in China. Are these guys totally in the dark? Why is it that this problem is rarely talked about anywhere and especially by the politicians? We keep talking about what is going to happen to the economy if all the factories keep closing and moving out of the country, well it is happening right now and I fear it is going to get really bad in a hurry. The scary part is who is going to do anything about it? Neither McCain nor Obama seem to notice or if they do they don't care. I am not playing politics for either candidate here because one seems to be as bad as the other in this respect.
Who do you think they got a couple million dollars from to run the campaigns? The very same type of people that crapped money on D.C., I mean lobbied, for N.A.F.T.A. to begin with, that's who!

Obama may have been able to squeeze out a couple million but that wouldn't have gotten him anywhere and McCain didn't have squat to work with. Corporate money crappers didn't like Ron Paul so they didn't give him any money, look where he is now!

Neither of them will ever do or say anything that would upset the status quo among their campaign financers so the little folks like us will continue to get screwed.

Larry
Old 09-09-2008, 12:26 AM

Last photo:

Wrong Paul?

As much as I like some of the things Wrong Paul stands for, I can not get past all of the impossible promises he made. If you do not have a care or a clue in regards to what makes the American government work, the promises do not matter. If you do care about the constitution and separation of powers you should have been very concerned because many of Ron Paul's promises would have ran afoul of the separation of powers and would have only been possible with a change in federal government. Instead of a two party system with checks and balances we would have a dictatorship.
This of course would result in the elimination of the constitution.

Ron Paul is the same as any other politician, he talks the talk but does not walk the walk.

There are people out there that defend Paul the same way the far left defend Obama; like they are messiahs or heroes.

On the upside, both politicians share the same problem.

Their fan bases do not know how out of touch they are with voters.

I knew who Ron Paul is before this election cycle because we share similar views in regards to the legislation of tools and firearms.

I did not know he was running on the Republican ticket until I saw a couple of skin heads (complete with SS, 88, and swastikas on their jackets) putting up Ron Paul litature at the local grocery store.

I knew then and there his bid for candidacy was doomed to failure.

With support like that, who needs competitors?

That said, your loudest and most fanatical supporters will turn the rest of the population away from you every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldknock
Who do you think they got a couple million dollars from to run the campaigns? The very same type of people that crapped money on D.C., I mean lobbied, for N.A.F.T.A. to begin with, that's who!

Obama may have been able to squeeze out a couple million but that wouldn't have gotten him anywhere and McCain didn't have squat to work with. Corporate money crappers didn't like Ron Paul so they didn't give him any money, look where he is now!

Neither of them will ever do or say anything that would upset the status quo among their campaign financers so the little folks like us will continue to get screwed.

Larry
Old 09-10-2008, 10:59 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Kind of off beat, but I had purchased radiators in the last 2 years from a company with a warehouse close by. It turns out, the radiators are "made in China", and are coming back 'junk' quicker than I can think.

I even found out MODINE was bought out, and moved to China.

As a note, I am fighting with them to get refunds on 3 right now. They just want to give me 'credit' toward another purchase.

I won't even get into the 'electronic' failures right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.