candies and clears - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 12:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

candies and clears

i want to do some flames,,, it will be on a cured paint, ppg.

I'm looking at hok, or xotic...now the question, how long can the art sit,(which is color and candies) before i need to either clear it, or use a clear base like ppg 500, intercoat clear?

does ppg, have any "candies" or dyes to add to clear or clear base?

any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Tcp global has a good line of candies..use an intercoat clear to mix them and since it can be time consuming for all the taping and retaping involved in custom painting it may be a day or so before you are ready to clear..works out just fine tho..

Sam
Old 05-29-2013, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

what about the opaque colors, (the base) you reccommend hok, or just use a ppg base coat color, and the candy concentrate in a binder or intercoat over that?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Use your favorite whatever for the base..Base colors usually are white or black but can be something else as well..The recipe for the classic candy apple red in laquer that we used 50 years ago was solid red laquer then the candy was more red reduced with clear and then clear over that for the finish..Several coats and hand rubbed between coats..Lots of work to do that. We still follow the basic routine..apply the base then the candy or metallic then tape off for graphics shoot those and then the clear coats..

Sam
Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

First of all, true candies are done by using a transparent mid coat over top of a color coat. Many or even any color can be used as a base color. If the base color has been clear coated and cured, I would recommend that it be sanded with with 600 grit or 800 grit wet paper, lay out your graphics, flames or whatever you choose, mask the area around your graphic and then apply candy color. Apply enough coats to get your desired effect.

A let down panel would also be recommended. This done by by painting a separate panel with your ground color, then apply one coat of your candy color over the entire panel, allow it to flash, mask of about 1/4 of the panel, apply another coat of candy over the remaining panel, allow it to flash, mask off another section, apply more candy, flash, mask, apply more candy, flash, unmask and clear the entire panel. This will give you a good idea as to how many coats of candy you need to get your desired effect.

Apply the same same number of coats of candy on your graphics and clear all the panels that have graphics on them. You can apply as many coats of clear as you feel you need...(if your going to color sand and polish, I would recommend at least 4 coats of clear).

PPG does have dies that can be added to DBC500, for example, the part number for a radiance blue is DMX216. Talk to your PPG jobber, they have formulas for adding this product to DBC500 so you won't need to guess as to how much you need to get the effect your after.

On a side note, I would not recommend adding a dye to a top coat, catalyzed clear, it's expensive, it will give you excessive paint build and makes the entire project if God forbid you ever need to do a repair much more difficult.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 05-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Good to see you back Ray!

Brian
Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.