Candy...Clear or intercoat clear... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Candy...Clear or intercoat clear...

Ok guys, I am by far no professional painter, but I have done some painting in the past and will be doing some in the future.

my plans are to get a nice titanium gray metallic basecoat and do about 2 coats of black candy over it...to give it a nice dark gunmetal black type shift in the sun.

now here is my problem..

in the past whenever I used a candy, I mixed it with my clear coat and sprayed it like that. Now alot of people are just saying use a innercoat clear to mix with your candy, and spray it like a base.

Trust me, I would love to spray candy in a paint that went on like a base, because I am by far not the best at clear without lots of wetsanding. LOL.

I guess my main question:

do you still get the depth of the candy if you spray it in a innercoat coat clear (i.e. basecoat clear) as if you spray that candy in your topcoat clear? i would think the topcoat with the candy can just give you that incredible depth and shine. but probably totally wrong.

Anyhelp with that would be appreciated, also here is my plan of attack to get my desired color, tell me if you have any recomendations!!!

1) 3 coats base coat titanium or gunmetal gray
2) 2 coats black candy mixed with intercoat (if quality is as deep)... dont want it too dark.
3) 2-3 coats top coat clear ( what is the highest gloss clear in your opinion?)

to rehash:
1) will innercoat clear mixed with candy, look as good as topcoat mixed with candy?

2) any better ideas to achieve a dark gunmetal look, with slight shift to black?

3) most high gloss top clear you recomend.

I really appreciate any help ahead of time guys, as I have not painted in a few years and most of you have probably forgotten more then I will ever know about it.

Thank you!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 01:40 PM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

just some advice........if you never sprayed candy..BEWARE!!!.....candy is very finnicky and if it is not sprayed in even coats, you will get what they call tiger striping. if you screw it up, call a priest, cause you can't fix it. It has to be totally redone. You may want to just use the paint color and clear it and not take a chance with the candy.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

This is my take on the intercoat clear used with your kandy. From what I gather, the intercoat has less film build which means as you're laying down the kandy, you can get a more even distribution and a better idea of where to stop for the proper color. Probably less opportunity for tiger striping, especially if you've sprayed kandy successfully previously. My experience with kandy was just mixing it into the clear and then spraying a couple coats of "clean" clear on top of that.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The intercoat clear is made exactly for that type of paint job..My take would be to use the silver metallic base with the black tint in the intercoat such as the concentrate from HOK or SEM..then clear over that..

When doing candy it is best I have found to shoot a layout on an old fender or hood to see just how the effect will look as candy does not always come out just what you had a vision of ..

Sam
Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

I have done a lot of paint jobs just like you are talking about and I have used a base formula on most all of them and that is the way to go the only thing is you will need more then 2 coats if you apply 2 coats then you may end up with a blotched look just keep applying coats until it look even then clear
Old 03-19-2010, 12:48 AM

Last photo:

Online I saw a paintjob done with the 'intercoat' method, it was done with ALSA candy colors and their own intercoat. Looked just like the real thing...
Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the replys everyone, they have been helpfull. I have sprayed candy before in the past with a clear coat, so I am not worried about "tiger striping"... but on the other hand, I may just call a buddy in when it comes to doing the clear, because I dont feel like doing alot of wetsanding.

so my understanding is that a intercoat clear, will do just as good with the depth as spraying it with topcoat clear. From what I understand DBC 500 is a good product, any other products you guys recomend for a good intercoat? I am sure there are some out there you have worked with and really like!!!!!
would you recomend a hardner with intercoat clear, or just use a reducer like normal base's.

To one poster who said I may want to spray more then 2 coats of black candy...I totally understand what your saying, but my problem is that I dont want my base coat to get lost in the candy, make sense? the final color I am shooting for is a dark gunmetal color in bright sunlight, that turns black in the shadows. Maybe I should go with a light silver metalic base, instead of a gunmetal base??? any ideas here? could always pay a bodyshop to do a few spray outs for me, before I buy color.

If anyone is in the OHIO area and would like side work...I might be better off letting a pro handle it, so feel free to PM me. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Intermix is the only way to go... One tip: walk the whole length of the car when painting, not just as far as you can reach ,overlaps will show.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.