candy colors - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 08:23 PM

Last journal entry: more pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

candy colors

i was wondering how hard is it to paint candy colors i was thanking of going with house of kolor colbalt blue i did a little bit of painting when i was younger but it was with lacker and synthetic enamel ppg brand thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2005, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

candys are about the hardest of all paints to apply properly. when it comes to candy, its all about getting it on even otherwise it will look blotchy or striped. some colors are more prone to this than others. cobalt blue is a harder one to spray not to mention it bleeds like crazy. you can make your own non bleeding cobalt blue by mixing 50/50 violet and oriental blue. looks almost exactly like cobalt without the bad effects. in short to do a candy and have it come out real nice you will definately need top notch spray equiptment, real good gun control and alot of practice. if you like the look the kbc line is a little easier.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

ya i got to paint inside and out at the same time i was told thanks i will look in to it
Old 07-05-2005, 09:55 AM

i use to do quite a few candys, all with hok, i would say probably the hardest paint there is to paint is a kandy,one foul up and your doing the whole car again, i would practice quite a bit before jumping into doing one,they are not easy,streaking, blotching, very difficult to get one rite, now when they are done rite there isnt anything any better looking, but now with so many pretty colors too choose from,( factory colors) i stay away from them, i try to steer any of my customers away from them, mike.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

thank you i have a friend that is a bodyman and painter he said if i did all the body work he will squart if for 500. and i supply the materirals i was just wondering if i could do it and save 500 but i thank it will be a lot better if i let him do it he said that he has to paint inside and out at the same time is this true thank you
Old 07-05-2005, 06:30 PM

well to me it would be well worth it, ive had cars in the booth doing kandys on before and wish i would have never gotten into them, more trouble than there worth , so if he can spray one and get it rite, well worth the money in my opinion, mike.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

is it true he needs to spray inside and out at the same time thank you kelly
Old 07-05-2005, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

No, he doesn't need to shoot the jambs and panel undersides at the same time as the exterior. In fact it would be better if he didn't. Have him shoot jambs first then do the exterior. There will be tape lines to deal with later but the end results will be much better. It would be insane to try to open and close the doors, hood and trunklid painting the jambs and exterior at the same time. JMO. Some like to shoot the exterior first then mask and shoot the jambs losing the transition on an edge then if any light overspray gets on the exterior it gets colorsanded off before buffing.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

k thank you very much i will chat with him more when the time comes i still got a long ways tell paint i got a 327 corvette motor in it turbo 350 tranney and a s-10 rear end under it right now i just bought a 9 inch and i installed a m2 frount suspension in it i hope to have it ready for paint next year around this time so long as i can stay working that is need money for parts since the last pics of the 38 olds coupe in my album a bought a 38 2 door sedan for parts car was cheep payed 415 for it off ebay but shipping is getting spendy im just having him ship the parts i don't need the whole car i getting all the parts that will fit the coupe all i have left for him to ship is the ft and rear fenders and running boards thanks everyone for all the help kelly

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.