Hot Rod Forum banner

Candy over black

27K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  35WINDOW 
#1 ·
Hi I'm new so sorry if you have already heard this before.
I want my project to be black with red candy over the top.Im told that the red would hardly show.Is this true?.
I have seen one paint job that was black and candy red and it had a strong red hint,but that was a pro job and paint.Im doing this myself and I'm a very good amateur not a pro.Ive never used candy paint before.
Thank you for your time

#3 · (Edited)
Top wrench is right, years ago Candy red concentrate in sufficient quantity to clear, to lay enough coats of the candy on the black base was called black cherry but now you can buy candy black cherry and shoot it on different base colors for different hughs and effects like ghost flames!

Its the pearls mixed with clear that jumps out at you on a black base with mind numbing results!! Candy consentrate in clear is very very hard to shoot with a different overlay ,fan, etc,etc!to achieve good results

Jester (Chris)

#5 ·
i have used candy over black for years. blue over black will give you a deep rich black , red over black will give you the deep cherry look . avoid gold as it will end up brown .
a coat of silver pearl over the black first is a nice effect .

#6 ·
First let me make it clear, I am not a custom painter, shot only a few candies in my life. The guys who posted already have much more experience in candies than I do, but let me give you another thought.

It's really all in what you want, what are your expectations of the finished product?

"Black cherry" is an awesome color, under the right conditions, like sun shining on it. In the dark, in the shadows, in overcast, it's "black" and that's all there is to it.

I personally like a color "you don't have to explain", you know what I mean, it's RED, it's GREEN, to me those are the best colors.

But this is a personal opinion, but this is the kinda stuff you want to think about when choosing a color.

Many colors really need the sun light to make them pop, without it they are kinda boring. Don't think for a minute that buying some paint and painting a junk fender and getting a good look at it is a waste of money. It is money very well spent. It gives you some practice shooting it and gives you a good idea of what it will look like on your car.

Brian

#7 · (Edited)
I never saw candy red over gold turn BROWN ???:eek: I did this coupe over 30 years ago with no such problem unless its new technology paint that gave you the problem :confused:?:eek: I like the reds over gold and adding flames or scallops with gold and silver bases for my graphics :mwink::thumbup:!! I'm guessing the green candy Mercury
Brian posted is gold and silver base for the difference in the scallops and main body color?
Jester (Chris)

:confused:http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/att...nt.php?attachmentid=222338&stc=1&d=1431971074

Attachments

#8 ·
if you read the post it is colors over black. candy gold over black will give a brown hue most of the time as will red pearl over black. red tends to fade and give off a brown look .. all candies were done over silver or gold . except blue it was always over silver.

#9 · (Edited)
"red over black will give you the deep cherry look . avoid gold as it will end up brown ." I thought you meant red over gold base! Are you talking candy leaf gold or candy gold over a black base will turn brown? That I can agree with!

" all candies were done over silver or gold . except blue it was always over silver. [/QUOTE]."
I do not understand that? Are you saying candy blue was always shot over silver base and not gold or any other base? In my area any candy and even blue was shot over white , black, silver, and gold bases, candy blue over pearls, metal flakes, and metallic bases of many colors! Bellow is my candy blue over gold base Plymouth just after I painted and wheeled it out Years ago (running boards are not even on yet LOL)
I think I'm reading your post wrong somehow Shine??

I also do not agree with "... will give a brown hue most of the time as will red pearl over black." Red pearl over black is fantastic ,it disappears at different angles of light to just black and at a different angle its an outstanding red!! We must be using different pearl powder in our clears, because I never saw brown hughs in my pearls on black bases???

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=222362&stc=1&d=1431974196

Attachments

#10 ·
This is a gold , red , and blue, pearl on black scallop we did in the 70s, and you can see the brilliance even in the old faded picture ( click on it to inlarge it) the lights really make it pop it was like a 3D image because (We added shadow and detail lines with air brush detail over the scallop) !! and outside in the sun it looked even better!!!These were PPG powder pearls Just a tea spoon to a QT of clear!! There is a difference in the hugh depending on the type of light reflecting off the pearl , Mercury, halogen, florescent , the sun ,etc, etc, will make the color change drastically! the amount of pearl added makes a drastic difference too! same with candy on black the more coats or the more concentrate added to the clear makes the color stand out more to the point its almost not transparent any more !

Jester (Chris)
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=222690&stc=1&d=1432061077

Attachments

#11 ·
I did a test bowling pin with HOK gold ice pearl over black and then candy brandywine over the ip. Looks black except where the sun hits the ice pearl and then you get that red "glow". Might be able to use red ice pearl and eliminate the candy step and get close to the same results. I'd post a pic but pictures just don't do it justice.

#12 ·
Here is the most extreme black cherry style color I have ever come up with.

Black base... then HOK Metajules which are a little transparent, allowing the black to show through when the flake isn't lit up.... then Apple Red Candy on top.

This is probably stronger than you are thinking of, but is about the only thing I have done of that general idea. Here are a range of different shots.

As you can see... the color changes ALOT depending on the light. On cloudy days it is somewhat boring... but when it is bright out... WOW!

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
I order a lot of my supplies here! Call for other products you do not see! like MARBLING ETC ETC you do not see on price list!,Its delivered to your door> Pearls are being closed out so red and orange are still listed call for other colors . These products can be used in either a water based or solvent-based application. but ask if you call to make sure, some may not! its funny that some of their spray instructions use Lacquer as an example LOL

Jester (Chris)

https://metalflakecorp.com/docs/userpricing2014.pdf

https://www.metalflakecorp.com/index.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.