Hot Rod Forum banner

candy paint nightmare

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
so i started painting this motor cycle and was running out of time to lay some artwork and candy over the silver base and with about ten minutes left in the 16hour recoat time i tried to pull off a miracle and ran out of paint in the middle of the candy stage.So I said alot of bad words and threw some clear over it so i can try and sand it and lay some more candy over it to TRY to save the paint job.I geuss my question is can i do this,should i do this or should i just start from scratch.Ive only let the clear coat sit for two days at 70 degrees and i can still leave a fingernail mark in the clear,is it ok to sand with 400grit so i can lay more candy base over the clear so i dont loose my artwork?Please help.This is getting real exspensive.

#6 ·
Next time don't worry so much about the 16 hrs number. That's just a base line and lets say your parts spent their time in a paint booth or inside out of the sun and dust you can push that by a lot. I've pushed base coats that say 24 hrs by double with no issues. I would have stopped at my candy coat. Then given it a light scuff when I had more candy and just put down some more then cleared.

#7 ·
If your finger nail can go in it two days at 70 that sucker should be hard as a rock. Did you apply particularly heavy coats? If it is a 2K urethane clear and mixed properly and applied with a medium wet coat with good flash time between coats it should be hard.

That being said, as the others said let it set a few more days until it's hard but first I would sand it with 800 which "opens up" the surface allowing more solvents to escape because obviously it is full of solvents. That is if it is a 2k and was mixed properly.

You don't WANT to pile on more candy and clear, but you have to make a decision. Either you sand that and apply more candy and clear and you are down the road :D or you strip it and start over. :pain:

But if you are applying that clear candy and clear as heavy as it sounds like you may be (still soft, full of solvents) you need to back off on that because you are building up a lot of material.

Brian

#8 ·
I do have to say those recoat windows set by the manufacturer are there for a reason. Believe me, if their product performed as well with a two day recoat as it did with a 16 hour recoat they WOULD put two days as the recoat time on their tech sheet. A longer recoat is often a good selling point, they WOULD put it longer if the product performed AS GOOD with the longer recoat window.

That recoat window is the sort of thing that is VERY difficult to measure effectiveness. Unless your paint peels apart in front of your face how do you know it made a difference waiting too long? If you painted two identical panels, one with two days recoat time the other with 12 as the tech sheet said and put one of those panels in your garage and the other out on the roof of your house you may find that the one on the roof fails where as the one in the garage doesn't. If it was recoated within factory specs, maybe it wouldn't have. But that is the only way you could really know if that longer recoat window was ok or a bad idea. It is VERY difficult to measure.

I do know that they come up with those numbers for a reason and yes it has a pretty large "fudge room" engineered into it. It's like the old comedian routine with the Twinkie with the 20 year life span after tasting it at 20 years and 1 day "Does this taste right to you?" LOL

But honestly, staying within the guide lines or very close is always better unless you have some particular inside info or experience with the product.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.