Candy Paint Products - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 04:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Candy Paint Products

Hi, I'm looking to paint my 72 gmc in candy. I've painted a s10 hood candy once while in school it was OMNI brand wineberry was the color. That's the only experience I have with candy colors. I'm wondering what is a good brand to use. I also want the clear to have a real wet look if anyone can recommend any systems they've used and maybe post some pics of the finished product that would be great!. I only spray factory cars, I'm new to the hot rod world.

Thanks!
Jared

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

When spraying true Candy colors, it involves a ground coat of base, a transparent mid coat and clear coat. There are many suppliers that sell Candy colors, House of Kolor, PPG's Vibrance and Radiance collection, Dupont's Hot Hues. They all work and depending on what effect your after, these products can be purchased at most paint jobber store. The color and effect will vary and in my opinion, House of Kolor and PPG have some of the most outstanding colors available.

As far as clear coat goes, for the price and the quality nothing that I have used would beat SPI's Universal Clear. The mix ratio is 4 to 1 and a gallon of clear costs $106.60 a quart of activator is $35.40, so for just over $140.00 you will have a clear coat that will compete with any clear on the market.

Here is SPI's website and shipping is free.

Home

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to the site.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
JaredCross (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
When spraying true Candy colors, it involves a ground coat of base, a transparent mid coat and clear coat. There are many suppliers that sell Candy colors, House of Kolor, PPG's Vibrance and Radiance collection, Dupont's Hot Hues. They all work and depending on what effect your after, these products can be purchased at most paint jobber store. The color and effect will vary and in my opinion, House of Kolor and PPG have some of the most outstanding colors available.

As far as clear coat goes, for the price and the quality nothing that I have used would beat SPI's Universal Clear. The mix ratio is 4 to 1 and a gallon of clear costs $106.60 a quart of activator is $35.40, so for just over $140.00 you will have a clear coat that will compete with any clear on the market.

Here is SPI's website and shipping is free.

Home

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to the site.

Ray

Ray, I agree with you on the House of Kolors Candy, I am sure PPG is right there with them in quality and product. As for the SPI universal it mixes 1:1, Costs for a sprayable agllon would be right around $125, If you buy a gallon of clear and 4 quarts of activator (which would make 2 sprayable gallons) the costs is about $250, which is still a great deal for what I feel is the best clear on the market.

To the OP, if you have never sprayed a true tri coat candy, it is a different animal when comapred to a base clear system. I did not know Omni offered a candy system, they maybe do, but I would not recommend using the cheaper brands for a true candy considering the trouble I have had out of the cheaper brands metallic colors. Just my .02

Kelly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (08-27-2013), JaredCross (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
Ray, I agree with you on the House of Kolors Candy, I am sure PPG is right there with them in quality and product. As for the SPI universal it mixes 1:1, Costs for a sprayable agllon would be right around $125, If you buy a gallon of clear and 4 quarts of activator (which would make 2 sprayable gallons) the costs is about $250, which is still a great deal for what I feel is the best clear on the market.

To the OP, if you have never sprayed a true tri coat candy, it is a different animal when comapred to a base clear system. I did not know Omni offered a candy system, they maybe do, but I would not recommend using the cheaper brands for a true candy considering the trouble I have had out of the cheaper brands metallic colors. Just my .02

Kelly
So true Kelly, my bad...Brain Fart...thanks for catching that.

Omni can be made into Candy colors using clear binders, and tinting it with Radiance dyes or the powdered pearls...the colors are limited, the paint is an Economy brand and I wouldn't recommend Omni for anything that anyone really likes. The coverage is poor, the metallic control is pathetic...it's like I said, an Economy brand. If your looking for a quality solvent based Candy system that is a quality product in the PPG line...Global or Deltron would be the way to go. In the Deltron line and the Global line they have a clear mid coat base...in Deltron the part number is DBC500...and Global (please don't quote me on this part number...it's been a few years) D895...these can be mixed with the Radiance Dyes, Powdered or liquid Pearls and PPG's Liquid Crystal for the effect you want.

Sorry to the OP for the error in the mix ratio and thanks for catching that Kelly.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
JaredCross (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 PM

Yea I know it's a whole new ball game. I've painted quite a few 3 stage white pearls and have always walked the whole side of the car when applying the mid-coat. but like you said candy is a different animal and that makes me a little nervous but you're never going to learn if you don't try. So I'm looking for advise from people who have experience with it. I also use a nitro-therm unit at work (which is where I'll be painting my car) has anyone ever sprayed candy with this unit? Is there any tricks or tips with HOC candys? Ive been hearing good things about SPI I'll have to try that clear out.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

I'm not very familiar with the Nitro-therm system other than knowing it is a nitrogen powered electrally charged painting system. I can't comment on how it would spray the candy, but I would think it would apply too much of the mid coat since it is advertized as a one coat system. But again I have no experiecne with it and maybe misunderstanding something. I do like your attitude and willingness to learn, so thumbs up on that. I am sure you will find a wealth of knowledge here to help you through it all.

Kelly
Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

tri coats

I agree with Kelly, love your attitude and you will learn a lot on this forum, there are many people willing to help. I also agree that the Nitro-therm process could apply more mid coat on the vehicle than you want. With Candy's it's all about finesse, especially if your not familiar with tri coat.

I'm going to try and up load some pictures of a tri coat job I did a while back. This was done in PPG's Vibrance colors called Burnt Orange.

The truck was painted Blue with a transparent Orange over top.

Hopefully the pictures show up...I suck at getting pictures to load on here...almost as much as getting SPI's mix ratio's right...LOL

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hood before polishing.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	78170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Base with ghost flames.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	78178  
Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It worked...I can't believe it...it worked...LOL

Ray
Old 08-27-2013, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

Now I know who to call if I need any flames done

Looks good Ray

Kelly
Old 08-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

flames

LOL...And the customer came back 6 months later and asked if I could paint the same flames on a tonneau cover as where on the hood, except bigger...thank God I wrote down all 7 shades of blue I used when I air brushed them...otherwise it would have been impossible...always keep records.

Here is a close up of the flames...the pictures I didn't think did it justice.

Again, hope it works

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flames close up crossing.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	78194  
Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I agree with Kelly, love your attitude and you will learn a lot on this forum, there are many people willing to help. I also agree that the Nitro-therm process could apply more mid coat on the vehicle than you want. With Candy's it's all about finesse, especially if your not familiar with tri coat.

I'm going to try and up load some pictures of a tri coat job I did a while back. This was done in PPG's Vibrance colors called Burnt Orange.

The truck was painted Blue with a transparent Orange over top.

Hopefully the pictures show up...I suck at getting pictures to load on here...almost as much as getting SPI's mix ratio's right...LOL

Ray
Wow! That looks great. That blue truck looks like mine, but with a much better paint job lol. Yeah you have spray heavy with the nitro-therm or it will mottle I might experiment with it on an old hood or something.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
LOL...And the customer came back 6 months later and asked if I could paint the same flames on a tonneau cover as where on the hood, except bigger...thank God I wrote down all 7 shades of blue I used when I air brushed them...otherwise it would have been impossible...always keep records.

Here is a close up of the flames...the pictures I didn't think did it justice.

Again, hope it works

Ray
Pictures never do enough justice with paint work in my opinion. But that looks pretty good I can only imagine what it looks like in person. Can you use SPI clear over HOC?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Yes you can...if you mix it by the tech sheet, not the way I originally said...LOL, sorry bout that, glad Kelly caught it. I would recommend it. I was a Piant Rep for many of my working years, I repped CIL until it got bought out by ICI and now called Nexa, Dupont and PPG, I loved PPG's DP line of Epoxy Primer and used it on my projects when I was a rep for the other companies. When I tried SPI, I was converted...I have never used a better Epoxy, then I tried there clear, as good or better than any brand I represented.

The pictures of the truck have PPG's D894 clear on it...at over $400.00 a gallon and with SPI being every bit as good (and I would have to say, a little more user friendly), I will use and have been using SPI.

So, not to make this anymore of a commercial...yes you can use SPI clear over HOC.

I don't work for SPI or get a commission...LOL

Ray
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yes you can...if you mix it by the tech sheet, not the way I originally said...LOL, sorry bout that, glad Kelly caught it. I would recommend it. I was a Piant Rep for many of my working years, I repped CIL until it got bought out by ICI and now called Nexa, Dupont and PPG, I loved PPG's DP line of Epoxy Primer and used it on my projects when I was a rep for the other companies. When I tried SPI, I was converted...I have never used a better Epoxy, then I tried there clear, as good or better than any brand I represented.

The pictures of the truck have PPG's D894 clear on it...at over $400.00 a gallon and with SPI being every bit as good (and I would have to say, a little more user friendly), I will use and have been using SPI.

So, not to make this anymore of a commercial...yes you can use SPI clear over HOC.

I don't work for SPI or get a commission...LOL

Ray
SPI might try to hire you to represent them! lol. I use Standox at my job 15-60 plus their production clear that"s all I've really used aside from ppg dc2000 for those quick jobs. I know SPI and Standox were owned by the same company in Europe Do you know if there clears are the similar?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Actually SPI is owned by an individual named Barry K, he was with a company that got bought out by Sikkens called U-Tech and when they got bought out he went on his own. Standox got bought out by Dupont in the 90's.

I would compare SPI's clear with Glasirut's high end clear more than any other brand, except perhaps a little more user friendly. By that I mean it's a little more difficult to get runs. PPG's DC2000 and 2021 Concept Clears are a respectable product but, they have a tendency to not polish as well as some other brands of clear...that's my opinion, others may say they polish great...I have had to really work them to polish after they have set up for a while.

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« Tape | Ppg Dx57 »