cant choose carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

cant choose carb

I was pretty much set on a quadrajet, then i changed my mind to get a holley 750 double pumper. Now i just cant make my mind up. The double pumpers are expensive. Cheapest one within 200 miles is $400. I might be able to get a junkyard ncc quadrajet for $30 and rebuild it. Also Ive been seeing alot of vacuum secondary holley 600-750 around for cheap. My uncle has a holley 600 vac secondary I might be able to get, he said he would sell it for $40 a couple weeks ago, so i might can still get it. Its in great condition, clean, and he uses it on a 350 sbc in a mazda b2000.

Anyway i just bought the performer rpm and have a spreadbore adapter if i get the quadrajet. I just need some help choosing a carb. I want the DP, but they are very expensive. My engine is a forged 383 in a trans am, with a T56 manual tranny. I should have about 500hp, but to be honest im not to serious about performance at this moment. Money is tight and i just want a carb that will let my car be usuable for a couple months and not get extremely horrible gas mileage.

I had an edelbrock 750 and it worked great except for a bit of hesitation, and i got over 20mpg highway with it. For some reason the carb cracked on one of the fuel bowls and leaked fuel. It was ancient and was on the car. It was pretty much worn out, but i was still saving for a carb or going EFI.

Thanks for reading and im looking forward to your answers.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 12:30 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

How about just toss the 600 holley on there for a few months till you save up for the 750?
Old 04-20-2010, 02:33 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I would normally say use the Quadrajet, but not with a adapter plate, best place for adapter plates is the trash. Plus you can`t just "pick one up" a Q-jet, build it and use it, it would have to be tuned for your combo otherwise it wouldn`t work correctly. You need something bigger than a 600 on your 383. Even so your car is a stick, you could still use a vac secondary carb. Finding a Vac secondary holley 750 for cheap is easy, so until I could afford a double pumper, that`s the route I`d take. You can get a Holley vac secondary spring kit and find which works best for your combo.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:40 AM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Definitely noting wrong with a vac secondary 750 at all. I had a 3310 for a while and it worked very well. It's definitely an good alternative to a double pumper.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

the 750 vacuum secondary is the way to go if you dont have the money for the DP and are remotely worried about gas mileage cause a holley 4779 DP will suck gas down like crazy, i have one on a 500hp 383 it's a great carb but i might get 7-8mpg city and about 11-12 highway but i really dont take it on the highway, so i would look into the Holley 3310 you can find them in summit for about 275.00-300.00.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.