can't decide between BBF or SBF stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 09:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

can't decide between BBF or SBF stroker

OK... I just picked up a '73 Mach 1 yesterday and I am going to build a stroker for it. Now I have been thinking for about a year now about this as I have been planning to buy a Mach 1 since I was about 7 years old but I just can't decide what I want to do! the car was a factory 302 car so I know I'd need to do a little front suspension work if I go big block but it isn't like that would stop me from doing it or anything. I am trying to decide between a 408W or a 514.
Now the car came with a bunch of extra stuff including a freshly built 351W, a 351W that has about 90K miles on it and a 302. So i already have the 351W block (haven't got the numbers of the block yet) so I wouldn't need to find a block like I would if I went with the 514. HOWEVER if i go 514 I won't have so much machine work as it is standard bore so that awould save me a few hundred right there which I could put back into the motor else where. I am hoping I can get some "pros and cons" from people who have done this.

My goal: basicaly it is going to be a resto-mod, I would like to make around 600HP reliably and I am willing ot run 93 octane. It will not be a "daily driver" but it is my dream car so I will for sure be driving it!! LOL

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 10:22 AM

I built a 351w last year stoked it out to 411. The guy I built for had 94 f350 he wanted to keep his EFI so that limit us to what we could do. The 351w is a great engine to stroke. As far as bb or sb it's up to you. The results either way is going to be a lot of power and a lot of fun. Since you already have 351w block I would go with that one.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70455
I built a 351w last year stoked it out to 411. The guy I built for had 94 f350 he wanted to keep his EFI so that limit us to what we could do. The 351w is a great engine to stroke. As far as bb or sb it's up to you. The results either way is going to be a lot of power and a lot of fun. Since you already have 351w block I would go with that one.
That was my basic "reasoning" for going with a small block over a big block, simply because I have a block already. However I am wondering how much "easier/cheaper" it will be to get 600+ out of a big block rather than a small block. Also I think I would probably be pushing the limits of the 351W block, would I not? I could sell the 351W's and the 302 and probaly end up with around $500 which should easily get me a 460 block around here and a little money to start playing with...
Old 12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

If it were me I would build a 460 and stroke it big. Summit has rotating kits for like 540ci. You will make gobs of torque and would be a pretty sick ride. I believe 600hp on a 351 block will be pushing towards the limit of the block.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:06 AM

It's always easier to get more hp out of a bigger engine. The 460 build would be more reliable if built around 600hp. Like I said it's up to you.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

well, I found out the 351W longblock I have is a D4AE which from what I understand is one of the better pre-'75 351W blocks and are "suppose" to handle upwards of 700HP. Not saying I am going small block for sure but having a good 351W block to start with isn't a bad think if I do...

D= 70's era
4= being the year so its a 74 tall deck (9.503 IIRC)
Old 12-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I don`t think your going to reach 600 horsepower with a small block without the assistance of a blower or turbocharger, especially on 93 octane pump gas. If you plan on this to be streetable 600 horses is out of the question in a small block package. You want 600 horses you`ll have to go big block and for as many inches as possible.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

You're going to have to go pretty radical (roller cam, good port job, etc. ) to get 600 hp from a small block; but you can do it...and probably not with a blower.

600 hp from a big block is easier to attain, with less modification.....which translates to more durability.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:15 AM

I found this build last year and thought it sounded perfect for my '66 Mustang because it was a small block and it made ludicrous amounts of power for a reasonable amount of cash. Check it out http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...sor/index.html
Old 01-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

A 600 HP 514 in a stock bodied '73 Mach 1......? You're going to have to do a whole lot more suspension work than just at the front. The BB is going to make that car even more nose heavy than it already is. IIRC weight transfer was never one of the '71-'73 Mustangs strong points. I had a '72 Grande with a 302 and it was real light in the back end. The Mach's had a little more weight out back but.......

If it was me I'd be going for the Windsor, it will make a lot nicer package in the long run. But that's me.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:15 PM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last photo:

I'm with Hippie on this one .

What do you think your planning to do with 600 hp and no telling how much torque?

To have fun with this car on the street you don't need a mega $$$ build. Your going to have to back half it with tubs if you want it to hook on the strip at those power levels and forget cracking the throttle on the street, as you'll have to decide which ditch it's going for and then catch it before it gets there.

I have 10 yrs. (a few of those it was my daily driver) behind the wheel of my factory 390 powered 67 mustang before I took it apart so I could keep a drivers license. With a mild CJ cam and lowered compression this wouldn't hook for squat. If it thought about hooking up it broke something. These cars flex and twist literally, when under high torque I could feel the drivers floorboard move under my feet as I went through the gear box. My car is a 1 owner that my dad bought new so I know it's not a banged up tin can that's been patched together.

Just a few questions you should ask yourself before jumping on the mega band wagon.

Tony

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.